Portent Problems: Creature Not Tameable?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valii

Portent Problems: Creature Not Tameable?

Unread post by Valii »

I'm a level 90 and have not completed the quests in the Vale. I can see Portent's dusty tracks along the east side by Mogushan Palace and have found him multiple times there. When I go to tame, however, it says "creature not tameable."

I haven't found any info about needing to complete quests in order to tame Portent. I know he phases out in certain areas on the map, but is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to tame him once he's been found?
Valamar
Realm: Madoran

Re: Portent Problems: Creature Not Tameable?

Unread post by Valamar »

Portent is and exotic pet, meaning you must be speced Beast Mastery to tame, and use him, if your not BM, he is not tameable.
Valii

Unread post by Valii »

Wow, I'm actually just going to go crawl in a hole now. I didn't notice that I wasn't in BM spec. /Headdesk.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Happens to the best of us! :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

*giggles* Silly. We've all done it atleast once!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

Like Junrei said. think most have done it at least once. Unless your always Bm like me...what? teh other two specs are complicated D=

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Heck, I'm always BM and I've still done it cause I was switched into my SV offspec. XD

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Sar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Sar »

I made my offspec a raiding BM offspec, whilst my primary spec is a solo/questing spec. Saves any blushes :D
Social Media: YouTube | Twitter | Nerd Rooted
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

There's a saying among horse people that you're not a *real* rider unless you've fallen off a horse at least once.

I figure something similar holds true for BM hunters: You're not a *real* BM hunter until you've tried to tame an exotic while in SV or MM spec.
seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garithos

Unread post by seclipse »

ive done it more than once lol. even alt tabed once to see if there was anything on the pet being glitched or what not, only to tab back and see i wasnt in BM lol /facepalm
Demonicow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Echo Isles

Unread post by Demonicow »

hello ive done this before ive even accidentally killed a rare pet one time cuz i didnt abandon my pet first(in vanilla), i know this is a few days late but i am posting because i want to join in on a discussion about portent.

I am not an alt-tabber and i dont have a printer so i dont have anything to look at so far as a map as to where and how to find portent, ive done all the quests up to the dailies in the pagoda or whatever its called(which i heard prevents him from phasing out)and i cant find portent.

if i had an in-game map that showed the path that every mop rare follows it would be great or a spot where i can camp him and tame him when he passes by like i did for savage as someone said on youtube(The Wild Things:Savage)that there is a place where he goes thru that is easy to camp and so i stood directly in its path and popped the tame when it appeared constantly using flare to keep it visible should it appear.

if anyone can give me some advice i would appreciate it and sorry for the late post ~ Demonicow @ Echo Isles
"Y’know, Taurens are born hunters. You ever see a Tauren catch a salmon out of a stream? It really is quite exciting. You ever see a Tauren stalk a python? 'Course you haven't. That's because Tauren are so adept at blending in with their surroundings."

"Five curses and spite live in each gnome this truth cant be ignored, the best way to get rid of a gnome is to throw that Gnome Overboard.""

Armory
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

Look up Portent on Wowhead. The pins of the places he was spotted in should make out some semblance of his route. Find a chokepoint on his route, and stalk it there, flaring whenever you can.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Plus there are maps linked in the WtWTA thread here.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Demonicow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Echo Isles

Unread post by Demonicow »

i tracked the purple portent and since he wasnt the color i wanted i abandoned him and am waiting 2 hours till he spawns again hopefully in the color i want
"Y’know, Taurens are born hunters. You ever see a Tauren catch a salmon out of a stream? It really is quite exciting. You ever see a Tauren stalk a python? 'Course you haven't. That's because Tauren are so adept at blending in with their surroundings."

"Five curses and spite live in each gnome this truth cant be ignored, the best way to get rid of a gnome is to throw that Gnome Overboard.""

Armory