[yet another pet suggestion thread] Kunchong

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

[yet another pet suggestion thread] Kunchong

Unread post by pop »

Yeah, yeah, it's not a new suggestion, but I kind of have a different idea about this pet. Remember Kovok? He's a FLYING Kuchong. I mean what a great design for a pet. A pet that can walk like it's colossal brethren and can fly as well. Why not a pet that has 2 modes,, can fly and can walk as a skill!

The Kunchong(Text from Wowpedia)
The Kunchong are massive, violent, and without a question the biggest threat that pandaren have experienced in a long time. The cycle of Mantid birthing and building revolves around the Kunchong, a colossal insect large enough to threaten whole towns by itself. The Mantid revere this enormous creature, and when instinct compels it to stampede throughout the continent, eating earth, trees, and lakes, they follow behind, collecting the amber-colored resin it secretes, birthing their young and creating their homes in its wake. If other races’ homes are trampled by the Kunchong, it is of little consequence to the Mantid. Where the Kunchong's shadow falls, they walk. Where they walk, the land is transformed.

Family; Kunchong (Exotic)
Default type when tamed; Tenacity
Diet; Meat (cooked, uncooked), Fungus, Amber.
Exotic skill: Dual Cycles

'The Cycle; Air Assault'
The Kunchong spreads its wings, flies, losing its 'Amber Carapace' skill and gains 'Amber Bombs. The Kunchong will receive 5% movement speed bonus for 8 seconds when this skill is activated . 20 seconds cool down. CD shared with 'The Cycle; Siege'.

'The Cycle; Siege'
The Kunchong closes its wings, lands, losing its 'Amber Bombs' skill and gains 'Amber Carapace' . The Kunchong will receive 5% armor bonus for 8 seconds when this skill is activated . 20 seconds cool down. CD shared with 'The Cycle; Air Assault'.

Family skills
Amber Carapace
Instant 1 min cooldown
Requires level 20
The Kunchong encases itself in an 'amber crystal', reducing damage taken by 50% for 12 sec. Only usable in 'The Cycle; Siege' form.

Amber Bombs
10 Focus, plus 5 per second
Channeled
Requires level 20
The Kunchong channels a storm of crystal amber bombs attack, causing 275+((RAP * 0.288) * 1.5) Amberstorm(nature/fire) damage every 2 sec for 8 sec to all enemies within 12 yards. Only usable in 'The Cycle; Air Assault' form.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: [yet another pet suggestion thread] Kunchong

Unread post by Wain »

A lot of people would love them, though I suspect (like silithid colossi) that they might like the idea of them more than they like using them in practice ;)

In fact I could see the colossi being moved to the kunchong family. Silithid beetles and wasps have set a precedent for being broken off into the families they fit best with, so colossi with kunchong would also make sense.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Wain wrote:A lot of people would love them, though I suspect (like silithid colossi) that they might like the idea of them more than they like using them in practice ;)

In fact I could see the colossi being moved to the kunchong family. Silithid beetles and wasps have set a precedent for being broken off into the families they fit best with, so colossi with kunchong would also make sense.

So what would be the group's name? Colossal? Colossus? Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin? I just thought it would be cool to have an exotic to have different skills according to forms XD
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Kunchong might do. Or Colossus. Or Megabug :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I still want a 2 mode pets; can fly and walk XD
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Wain wrote:A lot of people would love them, though I suspect (like silithid colossi) that they might like the idea of them more than they like using them in practice ;)

I see what you mean. I still use my colossi (I have all but the pink one. I decided to disband that due to lack of stable space and bonding) but there aren't a lot of people running around with them while almost everyone wanted one back when it was unobtainable/a bugged pet. I guess it's just the idea of something being rare, retired or unobtainable to other people that did it for them back then. (no accusations, mind you)

I also admit that I would immediately level to 90 (I didn't have any incentive to drag my hunter to 90 yet) and replace my colossi with a kunchong with a similiar color scheme to the replaced colossus. I can see why Blizzard didn't go through the trouble of making them tameable for a select few people anyway. Though, I would squee my eyes out of Blizzard did consider doing it next patch or in a future patch. Qatir (my favorite, blue colossus) really needs an upgrade and it'll look so great having a kunchong with an updated model walking/flying next to the update nelf model we'll sport in a few years rather than a colossus, which despite its charms (to me) is still outdated.

In fact, I always had big hopes for tameable kunchong as they'd seem like the perfect way to upgrade the colossi. It always felt like it would be an upgrade akin to how the new Devilsaur model will no doubt be tameable in 5.1 and ready to replace a big part of the existing older Devilsaur modeled pets.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I think in order to tame a Kunchong you must first be exalted with the Klaxxi. Kind of like how you have to be exalted with the Order of the Cloud Serpent in order to catch the baby dragons.

That way, they'd still be kind of hard to get, and you couldn't just see any old hunter running around with a mantid tank at his or her side.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Equeon wrote:I think in order to tame a Kunchong you must first be exalted with the Klaxxi. Kind of like how you have to be exalted with the Order of the Cloud Serpent in order to catch the baby dragons.

That way, they'd still be kind of hard to get, and you couldn't just see any old hunter running around with a mantid tank at his or her side.
I've beginning to have this idea of certain beast needing certain skills. Like 'Kuchong Mastery'; teaches you on how to tame a kuchong. The spell would be available for all specs but BM hunter would get Kuchong with exotic skills.
y
Other beasts that should have special requirement for taming could be gryphon, hippogrif and wyvern.

I imagine Gryphon mastery would be a dwarf (and maybe human) hunter only skills that is learned at a certain level enabling dwarven hunter to tame Gryphon. Orc can tame wyvern and nelf gets hippogryf. To make it balance, Gryphon, Hippogryf and Wyvern would have the same skill set.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Race-specific pets would pose problems. You'd have people complaining from everywhere. People would do race changes just so they can enjoy their favorite pet.

I only suggested the Kunchong requiring exalted with Klaxxi because they are very sacred to the mantid, and at least 3 dailies from the Klaxxi require you to liberate them from the corrupted Mantid control.

I think it would be cool and fitting with lore to have them "teach" you how to befriend a Kunchong after reaching exalted with them, as a favor for all you've done.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Equeon wrote:Race-specific pets would pose problems. You'd have people complaining from everywhere. People would do race changes just so they can enjoy their favorite pet.

I only suggested the Kunchong requiring exalted with Klaxxi because they are very sacred to the mantid, and at least 3 dailies from the Klaxxi require you to liberate them from the corrupted Mantid control.

I think it would be cool and fitting with lore to have them "teach" you how to befriend a Kunchong after reaching exalted with them, as a favor for all you've done.

It wouldn't just be cool. It would be freaking genius. Though I'm not a fan of rep grinds at all, I still have to admit that. It's a great idea for adding more pets that are a bit more difficult and require a bit more dedication to obtain without the method of making the pet rare being that you camp a new model again. (Mind you, Blizzard already did a lot of work to make rares and special pets seem like that. =)

I approve.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

If that the case, exalted with the lorewalker can tame pandarian phoenix pet please?