EDIT: Taming Buff Pets in 5.1 FIXED

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Taming Buff Pets in 5.1 --Guide--

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ragnarök wrote:Hmm so my brother killed it when it is mine b4 it gets the ding and disappears from my revive but since my scroll wheel is revive after awhile it actually revived! What went wrong? It shouldnt revive right? Or did i actually get it but didnt log out? This is for the Coldbite Matriarch btw
Same here. x_x We still can't get it.

Can anyone still tame the Coldbite Matriarch, or have they today?
Naliak
Realm: Emerald Dream

Unread post by Naliak »

Sha-Haunted Tigress DOES NOT keep the effect after it dies as your pet - please remove it from the list!

Tamed him and didn't see the notes posted that if they are killed in the wild and lose the buff/effect, that they will lose them if they die as your pet as well. I guess it makes sense but I just wasted 2 hours. :( The crane should probably be removed as well, as when it is killed in the wild it loses the buff. Thanks!
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Naliak wrote:Sha-Haunted Tigress DOES NOT keep the effect after it dies as your pet - please remove it from the list!

Tamed him and didn't see the notes posted that if they are killed in the wild and lose the buff/effect, that they will lose them if they die as your pet as well. I guess it makes sense but I just wasted 2 hours. :( The crane should probably be removed as well, as when it is killed in the wild it loses the buff. Thanks!

If you read the first post it says:
*These are the only sha creatures that appear to keep their buff upon death.
The tiger does not have the * mark. I guess you should have read better D: It was stated. Sorry you lost your sha buff though.

Siggy under construction!

Naliak
Realm: Emerald Dream

Unread post by Naliak »

Bowno wrote: If you read the first post it says:
*These are the only sha creatures that appear to keep their buff upon death.
The tiger does not have the * mark. I guess you should have read better D: It was stated. Sorry you lost your sha buff though.
Aww poo! I guess I was too excited to try this out! Lol, lesson learned. :<
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Taming Guides MoP pets
---------------------------------

This is a short guide to the simplest way if you are sans a geared mage, and the way I've gotten my pets for now.

Basic tips:
-------------
- Be in a duel.
- Bind the revive macro to a mouse scroll wheel. It's extremely harder if you don't.
- Download the addon Quartz to see a larger, numbered tame bar.
- Don't attempt this if your sniper isn't a 90 or at least has very, very good gear at 85+. You'll be at it much longer.
- The lower the pet's health before the tame, the better. 10k and under is ideal.

Tamer tips
-------------

- Be naked, or at least wear the least amount of armor possible. The pet is buffed based on your HP upon taming. The lower yours is, the lower the pet's is and the higher the chance that the pet will die in one blow. Being in BM is also a bit detrimental, as it causes extra pet buffs.

- After the tame is started, close your eyes. Focus only on scrolling the mouse as fast as you can. Looking at the screen can actually distract you. Open them when you think the tame is about finished to check. I've had the most luck with this odd tactic.

Sniper tips
-------------

- Have the tamer as your set focus.

- Make sure you have Quartz downloaded properly.

- Use your most powerful attack to kill the pet. Kill Shot for hunters, for example, or Hammer of Wrath.

- If your gear is sup-par, try potions.

- Stand as close to the mob as you can if you are a ranged, so minimize arrow/spell flight.

- Don't rely on the Quartz numbers. It differs from person to person, and watching them count down is distracting. Use your own eyes to watch the colored bar, and around the best time to hit it is after the bar passes the 'silver crest' that surround the tame beast icon in Quartz. Exactly WHEN is up to you to figure out for your specific tamer.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Kung Din
----------

Tips:

* Go get Wyvern Sting. Use a Tome of the Clear Mind to clear a talent for it.

- Kung does not hit hard. A naked 90 can easily swallow his damage.

- He stuns every 3 seconds or so. You will enter a vehicle mode that is timed, regardless of if you punch him or not.
- The punches do about 22-31k stable damage. They do not crit. If Kung has over 32k hp, you can punch him.
- Kung is immune to traps/sleep while in vehicle mode (pouncing) on a person. He is not immune to damage.

- If his health is at an appropriate level for a tame, wait until right after he finishes a pounce before popping off a wyvern sting into his face. He can stun you as a tame finishes, so try to lock him up as quick as possible.

- Do NOT race him with the tame pet glyph. Frost or sleep him. As said before, he can still stun you as a tame finishes.

* Don't get angry with Alliance levelers. He is rightfully a quest mob, even if you almost had him at perfect health.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Ik'thik Terrorclaw
--------------------

Tips:

* In the Dread Wastes CHECK YOUR KLAXXI BUFFS. Children of the Grave is a good enhancement choice, as it does not actually affect combat. Most of the others will do unwanted random damage.

- There are two of these and their respawn timer is longer than any of the other MoP buff tames. About 2 minutes or so.

- Because these are elites, they do hit fairly hard. A naked tamer is still possible if the sniper is a hunter.

- Ideally, the sniper will tank the mob with their pet (keep a heal up) and the tamer will pop off a shot onto the scorpion once aggro has been grabbed, establishing themselves as an aggro target when the sniper FD's.

- A sniper will wear a pet down to a low hp, dismiss their pet, fine-tune the hp as the scorpion munches them a bit, then will FD. The scorpion will move on to the tamer.

- The naked hunter should have a frost trap dropped now, holding the pet in place as the sniper and tamer run up and begin the tame.
Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

step 1 - get a buddy = someone else with nothing else better to do except help? :D
step 2 - have oodles of patience, & time on your hands :)
step 3 - ?????
step 4 - profit :mrgreen:

you're welcome Dialga. :hug:
Last edited by Tilo on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Coldbite Matriarch
--------------------

Tips:

* In the Dread Wastes CHECK YOUR KLAXXI BUFFS. Children of the Grave is a good enhancement choice, as it does not actually affect combat. Most of the others will do unwanted random damage.

- A similar strategy to the scorpion seen above. A hunter should be the sniper and tanker of this mob.

- The sniper should pull her out of her nest of eggs -- they will hatch if one gets too close. She can be kited all the way out of the cave. The tamer should shoot her at least once to gain oneself as a possible aggro target when the sniper FD's.

- The matriarch will call her hatchlings exactly twice, no more. The tamer should be equipped with their bow to help their sniper deal with this. I recommend the macro:

#showtooltip Arcane Shot
/target Coldbite Hatchling
/cast Rapid Fire
/cast arcane shot

This avoids you hitting your sniper, sniper's pet, or the matriarch.

- Once the matriarch is low health, the sniper should dismiss their pet, fine tune the hp, then FD and let the matriarch run to the tamer, who should have a frost trap dropped. The tame should then commence.

* Don't get angry with either side for this. It's a common quest mob for both factions, and necessary for anyone looking to become exalted with the Klaxxi.

*Her respawn time is short, and LOUD. The walls will shake and she will roar when she respawns -- so if you leave the sound running in the background, you can tab out and be notified when she's up again.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Also Tilo is the bestest and the one who got me all these pets :hug:
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Welp, 3 hours and still no luck on the Matriarch. Calling it a night for now. x_x
Ragnarök
Realm: Sargeras-A/Wildhammer-H

Unread post by Ragnarök »

RedDemon56#1751
Wasted too much time like half a day with my bro just sitting here and not brooding success. Hiring anyone who has experience in taming these things. Im going to tip a pretty penny to whoever wants to help me for time and effort spent to get the Coldbite Matriarch. Would also want Kung Din but Coldbite Matriarch is all I want as priority. PM me if interested.

Ive also mentioned this b4 somewhere but it seems like no one really looked into it but this mob http://www.wowhead.com/npc=60131/spirit-worg#comments when tamed loses about 80% of its transparency and awesomeness but prior to taming as a hostile mob it is almost completely transparent and has a blue aura on it. Now Im not having any success at taming the Coldbite Matriarch let alone test a new mob so maybe to those who actually tamed the buff pets they want and have curiosity and some free time maybe try it out? Another thing to mention is when it is killed it vanishes so there is no way to check if it keeps its aura and transparency upon the buff tame unless you know test it out.
Wes1234
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Wes1234 »

Dialga wrote:Being in BM is also a bit detrimental, as it causes extra pet buffs.
This made me just wonder something....

Has anyone managed to tame these buff pets AS a BM hunter? Also, regardless of spec, what talents are you using? I'm wondering if talents/specs might be partially responsible for the greif some of us are experiencing when attempting these while other seem to be getting them almost too easy... Just a thought, anyways...
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

Has anyone done this outside of the hunter duo? I wonder if this is my issue, as I'm doing this with a hunter and death knight.

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

WildcatTM wrote:Has anyone done this outside of the hunter duo? I wonder if this is my issue, as I'm doing this with a hunter and death knight.
I did the Sha tiger for Qi on my 88 monk -- but that was such a fluke we didn't even realize she'd tamed it until we moved on to Kung Din. I'm still not sure what happened there.

Your problem is probably that DK's don't have a huge damage button like a Kill Shot or a Hammer of Wrath. My DK buddy tried for hours with obliterate and made no progress.

... actually Touch of Death would probably do wonders for the full-health tame tactic.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Wes1234 wrote:
Dialga wrote:Being in BM is also a bit detrimental, as it causes extra pet buffs.
This made me just wonder something....

Has anyone managed to tame these buff pets AS a BM hunter? Also, regardless of spec, what talents are you using? I'm wondering if talents/specs might be partially responsible for the greif some of us are experiencing when attempting these while other seem to be getting them almost too easy... Just a thought, anyways...

BM for life. I did the Sha tiger as BM with no issues at all.
Spec and Talents shouldn't matter.

Siggy under construction!

WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

Dialga wrote:
WildcatTM wrote:Has anyone done this outside of the hunter duo? I wonder if this is my issue, as I'm doing this with a hunter and death knight.
I did the Sha tiger for Qi on my 88 monk -- but that was such a fluke we didn't even realize she'd tamed it until we moved on to Kung Din. I'm still not sure what happened there.

Your problem is probably that DK's don't have a huge damage button like a Kill Shot or a Hammer of Wrath. My DK buddy tried for hours with obliterate and made no progress.
Hm. I guess I'll try my other hunter. I thought it was any damaging move that killed the pet. For my example, I'm trying to get the Silt Crawler, so any hit that the DK does is a one shot.

Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

Finally got kung din. It does help to have a low world latency. I will still help out anyone who needs its horde side on US servers :)
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Sidewinder
Realm: Korgath-US

Unread post by Sidewinder »

I need help, ive been at this for hours and cant seem to get the timing right. Eclipze#1870
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

For the BM comment...

I tamed all of my buff pets as BM. Spce shouldn't matter.