EDIT: Taming Buff Pets in 5.1 FIXED

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Taming Buff Pets in 5.1 --Guide--

Unread post by Bowno »

Qinni wrote:Now I need a crab with a beer bottle from swamp of sorrows.
Omg I forgot all about those :U

Siggy under construction!

Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

So on my Orc I can't find Kung Din in the spot where he is for the ally quest, could someone point me to his whereabouts? :mrgreen:

Ragnarök
Realm: Sargeras-A/Wildhammer-H

Unread post by Ragnarök »

Have you guys tried this http://www.wowhead.com/npc=60131# ?
Amber
Realm: Lightbringer-US

Unread post by Amber »

So, after many, many, many hours at this, I got all three.

Even with Peach helping for four? hours (thank you so much, Peach) I was unsuccessful. Today we went at it using the mage frost bomb timed with the beginning of tame cast, again, with some changes:
We did NOT dps the mobs down. All three tames were successful with the mobs at 100% health.
I stripped all my gear off. It's the health of the actual hunter pet that matters, not the tame target.
We used trap to make sure frost bomb would crit, and therefor do more than the 120k health that the tamed pets have.

We were never successful outside of a duel, but we did try a few times again to make sure. After watching Peach help Qinni out with much more ease than I was having, I got the idea it could be my gear affecting it... in mostly heroic raid, my pet had a full 60k+ more health than Peach's, so even with perfectly timed killshots it was still not happening.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck. :)
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

Tried for about an hour today with my two accounts. Still no luck, unfortunately. I'm testing this on the crab with the beer bottle. I'm going to give it another try before I send out the Call to Arms here!

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I definitely highly recommend bringing a friend for these tames; timing is ridiculously difficult solo. Took about five attempts once my bf assisted. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Kalliope wrote:I definitely highly recommend bringing a friend for these tames; timing is ridiculously difficult solo. Took about five attempts once my bf assisted. :D
I was doing it on 2 separate computers (desktop, laptop), but you're probably right. I certainly will be less annoyed!

Shoopdawhoop
Realm: Crushridge-US

Unread post by Shoopdawhoop »

Amber wrote:So, after many, many, many hours at this, I got all three.

Even with Peach helping for four? hours (thank you so much, Peach) I was unsuccessful. Today we went at it using the mage frost bomb timed with the beginning of tame cast, again, with some changes:
We did NOT dps the mobs down. All three tames were successful with the mobs at 100% health.
I stripped all my gear off. It's the health of the actual hunter pet that matters, not the tame target.
We used trap to make sure frost bomb would crit, and therefor do more than the 120k health that the tamed pets have.

We were never successful outside of a duel, but we did try a few times again to make sure. After watching Peach help Qinni out with much more ease than I was having, I got the idea it could be my gear affecting it... in mostly heroic raid, my pet had a full 60k+ more health than Peach's, so even with perfectly timed killshots it was still not happening.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck. :)
Very insightful, this along with my previous experience is giving me an idea as to why both these methods work:

We are technically killing the pet after it is tamed, so the health of the pet does matter, not the mob. That being said, the reason we were lowering the mobs health is because of my theorized order of events upon taming:
1. The mob is tamed and re-registered as your pet, becoming friendly in the process.
2. Data from the original mob is kept and recalculated if need be. This includes health percentage, current buffs, mob type, etc.
3. The pet is then wiped of any buffs it may have, and given buffs it should have like Spirit Bond.
4. If the pet is lower level, it is auto-granted levels up to your current level, restoring its health and resources in the process.

This explains why the dinging flash is a signal that you've failed, and why you can tame one at 100% health: its health is recalculated percentage-wise. In essence, we are killing the pet not before it is tamed, and not while it is tamed, but in the small window after it is tamed but before its buffs are wiped and reassigned (between steps 2 and 3).

From this I can also guess that the reason this used to work solo in the past was because the pet would become friendly AFTER it's buffs were wiped and reassigned, and blizzards "hotfix" was to simply make this the first thing that happens. The simple work around to this is of course to be in a duel and have the opponent kill the pet.

I know this info doesn't really help those who aren't having much success, but I your tames put the idea in my head so I had to write it down :D
Peach
Realm: Bloodhoof-US (Horde)

Unread post by Peach »

We found some sha basilisks in dread wastes that keep their buff through death! They're Amberscale Basilisks -- the ones south of Heart of Fear have a sha buff on them.

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Peach wrote:We found some sha basilisks in dread wastes that keep their buff through death! They're Amberscale Basilisks -- the ones south of Heart of Fear have a sha buff on them.

Whoa! Nice find! I've been flying all over looking for effect pets and couldn't find any others. Guess I missed these guys x3

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Amber wrote:So, after many, many, many hours at this, I got all three.

This could also explain why I was relatively good sniper but a poor tamer -- I've got good gear, so it's hard to kill my pets, but my damage was high.

That said, is there any way to do this without a mage help? Do we have any idea what the pet's health would be when tamed? I assume NOT being a beast master would help, since that buffs your pets health (I think).
Kalliope

WildcatTM wrote:
Kalliope wrote:I definitely highly recommend bringing a friend for these tames; timing is ridiculously difficult solo. Took about five attempts once my bf assisted. :D
I was doing it on 2 separate computers (desktop, laptop), but you're probably right. I certainly will be less annoyed!
Yes, you will! :lol: I got very fed up with the whole process while trying to solo. ;)

(Holiday business is delaying the vid, but I'll try to rush it in prior to 2013.)

YouTube Edition

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

So in my flying around, I noticed a few old beasts that might still work! I haven't tried them yet myself, right now I'm just scoping.
Fire Roc - Little sparks of fire on a red vulture
Consumed Thistle Bear - Undead bear with a purple aura
Infested Bear - A gross looking undead bear with eggs growing from its flesh (EDIT: Does not work)
Deviate Plainstrider - sparkling pink plainstrider!

Still looking for more!
Last edited by Bowno on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Infested Bear, VERY sadly, does not keep it even when the easy macro worked. They are a different thing and not attached to the body.

The other 3 are viable, as they did work back then.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Dialga wrote:Infested Bear, VERY sadly, does not keep it even when the easy macro worked. They are a different thing and not attached to the body.

The other 3 are viable, as they did work back then.
Oh. My bad. Thank you though for letting me know! Saves me the trouble of going back and trying for hours xD

Peach
Realm: Bloodhoof-US (Horde)

Unread post by Peach »

We tested the consumed thistle bears, they still work and keep their buff when they die.
Kalliope

Peach wrote:We tested the consumed thistle bears, they still work and keep their buff when they die.
Wasn't that one of the buffs that had an impact on gameplay? (Not to be a downer...)

YouTube Edition

WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Kalliope wrote:
Peach wrote:We tested the consumed thistle bears, they still work and keep their buff when they die.
Wasn't that one of the buffs that had an impact on gameplay? (Not to be a downer...)
No, Debbie, the aura doesn't impact game play.

I actually thought they always lost their buff. Hmm.

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Kalliope wrote:
No. That's the blighthounds, which apparently DO work with this. They add a ton of DPS with their aura.

Kalliope

Bowno wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
No. That's the blighthounds, which apparently DO work with this. They add a ton of DPS with their aura.
Oh good, so the bears are okay.

That's bad news overall, though, that any of the possible exploit pets are still tameable. We'll have to get those reported again.

YouTube Edition