Cata Crab models

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
magepower13
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Cata Crab models

Unread post by magepower13 »

So I noticed a few days ago while doing my Krasarang dailies that the crabs using the Cata model (except Ghostcrawler as far as I've seen) now have little eyestalks instead of their old beady little eyes. I have to say, it's kind of freaky to me. Sure crabs have those in real life, but man is it strange. I don't have any screenshots at the moment, but it's really easy to see on the polluted Viceclaw crabs in Krasarang.

Edit: I flew to the north coast of Kun Lai and took a pic of the King Spineclaw and Spineclaw Scuttler crabs in the area.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/crabsm.jpg/
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Re: Cata Crab models

Unread post by Equeon »

The normal crabs have eyestalks, too...?
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Mage is talking about a change to the Cata model crabs.

The stalks do look longer at that angle....I thought they had the stalks before, though.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Ah, ok. I misunderstood at the "usual beady eyes" part, sorry magepower! I have some screenshots of an old cata crab pet, I'll go tame that model and try to line up the pictures in the same place.
Edit:

~Patch 4.1 or 4.2

Now.

Good attention to detail, the stalks are definitely longer. I wonder why this changed?
Last edited by Equeon on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Here's a pic of Barnacle Jim from two months ago:
The stalks don't appear to be any larger now than they were then. They are just more obvious at some angles than others. The current eye stalks Do appear to be larger than the ones on Petopia.
Wonder if the change was made in 5.0? 5.1?
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I dunno, just seems like it depends on the angle and pose, and probably graphic settings as well.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Looking at the old pics, and petopia pics, the stalks look shorter, the new pics definitely make em look like, at the very least, they extend more forward which is totally weirding me out o_O like, maaaajorly.... i wasnt a fan of the vanilla crabs because of things like the eye stalks so its really turning me off the new crabs now :< I know a lot of species in RL have eye stalks, but theres ones that have them build into the head which i'd much rather prefer

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

They've had eyestalks for a very long time, at least since the first part of Cata if not always. It would be weird if they didn't since I can't think of a single crab species that doesn't have eyestalks. That's why they're in the emotes I wrote for crabs.

Eyestalks are mobile and can be tucked into grooves in the carapace to protect them, which may make them look "built in" but they're a pretty standard feature.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

The deep sea crab models always had the eye stalks. They just look to be longer in those newer screenshots.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Didnt know crabs could tuck eyestalks in, thought it was an evolutionary thing with certain species. I dont know crab species names much to be able to google accurately and compare photo's, but makes sense as described that they can pull them in.

Also (not to either of you specifically, just to the conversation since i seem to have been misunderstood again..) i had mentioned that the stalks look shorter, not non-existent, in the old pictures, and that they look like they were moved at least forward, if not longer in the new pics. I liked the old Cata crab model because the stalks werent so -in your face- for my kind of personality who's extremely freaked out by appendages like that. The crabs were bearable before this change but now i'll be seeing these eyes everywhere i look on the crab and its just too weird to keep em >< I was happy too that i could have a solid black w/ blue stripe crab too thanks to blizz stopping the color swapping, but in the short time that was put in place, ive hardly had any time to love the little guy ._.

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

You know how when you get a new car, or haircut and suddenly you notice it EVERYWHERE? I think this is the same kind of thing. They reallly don't look different to me. My main pet thru the entire Cata expansion was a Cata crab and it really depended on the angle, pose of the crab, etc, how obvious they were and how long they looked.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Perhaps, but im never gonna be able to get over constantly peeking over his shell to look at them now XD Things like little annoying details with something like a piece of art, a photo, improper use of a word in a novel, it sticks to me like glue D: