The New PetEmote Thread - Incubus Ideas

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: The New PetEmote Thread - Need Ideas For MECH Pets!

Unread post by Bowno »

Mech pet suggestions:

___ sputters and clicks for a moment.

___ 's head suddenly falls low and their eyes flicker before snapping back up to its normal stance again.

___ scans the area around them for potential threats.

Siggy under construction!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Wow, those are some great suggestions, thanks all! I've been hanging back on doing anything much here since new pets are still being made/discovered and I'd like the emotes to make sense for the whole family. I had a few for mechs (I preferred "mech" to "mechanical" for emotes. "Varethyn's pet mechanical Mettaton" doesn't have the same ring to it) when it was only the critters then Optimo and the robo-dogs came along, for instance.

Here's what I have set up for mechs so far:

For now oxen are copied from boars and scalehides from clefthooves. Mostly cos I can immediately access those families whereas the most recent, custom ones need to be manually copy/pasted. Much fun. Not to mention the above mentioned problem determining sense throughout. Tweaks will be made!

Re: Gender-neutral options in all pets. I'd love to keep things equal and address this, however I don't think it would be possible with the current system as there isn't an option for "no gender". Because of that even if I did make gender-neutral emotes that mention gender (his/her master/mistress) the pet will still be made male or female and thus pull from the respective gender-specified emotes. Meaning you would get both "its master/mistress" and "his/her master/mistress". In short the only way to have gender-neutral pets is to remove all emotes that mention the pet's gender. Which is a lot of them. I'm sorry about that :(

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Jorna
Realm: Zirkel des Cenarius (EU)

Unread post by Jorna »

Hi there,

just wanted to say hello. I'm Jorna, the original creator of PetEmote. So, hello! :mrgreen:

I'm glad to see that PetEmote is still alive after all those years. The community seems to be bigger than ever. Wow! When i wrote the first lines of code (back in August 2008 I think) I couldn't imagine this would become such a big throw.

It was a good idea to hand this over to the English speaking community. Here in Germany the PetEmote community was pretty small, if it existed at all. Some of you might remember my horribly translated emotes from the early versions. Thanks to @Taigan this was fixed quickly.

Well, I'm not back in business, sorry. Just cleaned up my password database and found this old forum. I hope you will have fun with PetEmote for another long time, as much as I had creating it. Now after visiting this thread again, I'm sure PetEmote was one of the best things I did in my 7 years of playing WoW. So again: Wow! :roll:

And remember: Don't mess with the bear!

Greetings from Germany
Jorna

Mad finds himself incredibly good.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Jorna!!! Always good to see you. <3 This is absolutely your legacy and it's a wonderful one. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Hey Jorna! I still use pet emote to this day. :3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Oh my gosh! Hi Jorna. Great seeing you again. Thank you for this amazing add-on and all its pet emoting years. I think I started using PetEnote several years ago in maybe 2010 or 11. Right after you posted it here.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

It's great to see you're still around Jorna! PetEmote most certainly has become highly popular within the hunter community. I still remember the first time I found out about it, seeing it pop up from a troll hunter in Orgrimmar some years ago. I got curious and began searching for "hunter pet emote addon" and lo and behold it brought me here. In fact it's your addon that got me to make an account and make my first posts here on Petopia! So I owe you thanks twice over: First for making such a wonderful addon and for inspiring me to join this community :hug: I only hope that I am doing it justice while it lays in my hands. You and Teigan had already done so much with your own flair that I constantly worry that it's not the same :lol:

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Re: The New PetEmote Thread - New Emotes for New Families!

With the arrival of the pre-patch comes our new beast and robot friends and with them, the new emotes are now available to download! As always they're in the first post of this thread. Also as always: BEWARE! Adding these new emotes will wipe any custom emotes you have made. Make sure to have a list of your personal emotes at hand and be prepared to reenter them all. Very sorry for this inconvenience. Same goes for any and all upcoming core updates.

As always always. If you see something wrong or come up with an idea for new emotes let me know here! :D

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I like the mech emotes, Varethyn :)
zedxrgal

New custom emotes added! Thank you.

Dumb question but will the addon itself be updated come 7.0? For some reason pet emote seems to still show as "out of date" and causes hiccups for me even though I have the 06/27/15 file.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thanks Teigan, I'm glad you like them :D

Zed - It should be. If it doesn't I'll be sure to give my brother a poke about it; he's gotten a job recently so it's possible it slipped his mind.

Esquirua
Realm: Barthilas

Unread post by Esquirua »

sorry for the Necro, but I was wondering if it was possible to add in random hunger emotes? or maybe after X hours of gameplay?
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Esquirua - There are hunger emotes. Lots of them. They're random when they happen.

LisaaraPokefarm

Esquirua

oh terribly sorry, I wasn't aware, just saw a bunch of requests on the curse page over the past month :/
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

First up, welcome to the forums! :)

As Frisk said all if not most hunter pet families have some sort of food-related emote, whether they tug at their master or mistress' pack, mope about or simply wander off to find their own meals. All emotes save a few, a particularly special crab emote for instance, have a 100% chance to be used so there's a 1 in however many emotes that family has for your pet to say it's hungry in some way. What people are referring to when they mention nonstarving/starving pets is the old Affection system pets used to have, and some emotes were created specifically for each mood the pet could be in (Happy, Content and Unhappy). Since that was taken out ages ago the affection rule no longer applies so all emotes are completely random regardless.

On a semi-related note, I've seen people mention that they've been using Feed Pet a lot more since the Mend nerf. Would some feeding emotes be something people be interested in?

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I personally don't need more hunger emotes x3 I get spammed with them enough as is. If you can code in the pet to react when you feed them, that'd be nifty.

LisaaraPokefarm

zedxrgal

That would be awesome if possible especially since now I have to feed my pets a lot to heal them. :roll: :lol:

Esquirua

I love the idea of having a pet react to feeding! It would add a whole other level to interactions!

some things I wanted to suggest if that is okay? on the subject of feeding related emotes could it be possible to have a favored food group for families? I.e Cats would maybe prefer Fish, and turtles could prefer fungi or fruits? sorta give it that "special treat" feel?

I'd also like to point out the Death Knight Lv 60 Talent "sludge belcher" which summons an abomination in place of your ghoul doesn't seem to be supported, if you like I could write some stuff up and post at a later date?

and lastly is there any way of have a pet emote if you emote to it? like that Dog npc at your farm in panda land?

sorry if these are a bit pretentious, I have no idea how hard making or maintaining an addon is.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Of course! Any and all suggestions are welcome here :) Great to see positiveness towards feeding emotes too, I'll get to work on some soon. I can't really do much in the way of preferences though, the options are simply Accepted Food and Rejected Food. I could add some fun ones where "they'll eat it but it's not [insert food item here]". The only awkwardness there being that said item was the one being fed to them :lol:

Ooh I didn't know the abos had their own family! I'll certainly look into getting in some gross and disgustingly delightful emotes for them. I already have some good ideas.

Sadly there's no way to have a pet respond to emotes, which is a shame cos ever since meeting Dog I would love to do things with my pets as well.

No problem at all! feel free to continue to suggest things and we'll see if it's possible or not. One thing to bear in mind (and something I should update in the OP, whoops) is that I personally only handle the writing of the emotes. The actual code-side of things is left to my brother EthanCentaurai and things may be slow on that end as he recently got a full-time job. We do talk often however so we'll do what we can when we can :)

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Re: The New PetEmote Thread - Abominable Emotes!

Good news! Abominations now have an emote pool to play around with. I hope you find them horribly humorous.

Bad news! I've been playing around with the feeding emotes and they seem to work off a different generation system since they're procced by clicks rather than time. They do work but are extremely rare even when cranked up to the max chance of 200%, with spam-clicking food a pet doesn't like resulting in something of a 1/500 chance to get anything. And since Feed Pet has a 10 second CD... that's a lot of waiting. Terribly sorry for this :(