Blue Dire Toad Model Change

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Frumble
Realm: Illidan

Blue Dire Toad Model Change

Unread post by Frumble »

I tamed a Blue Dire Toad from Waycrest before 10.2 and forgot about him, I pulled him out and saw that he has a battle pet model now. Has anyone else had this pet change since the patch? The pet now shares the model with Tonguelasher battle pet.
Attachments
gribbles 1.JPG
gribbles 1.JPG (24.38 KiB) Viewed 67398 times
gribbles 2.JPG
gribbles 2.JPG (20.36 KiB) Viewed 67398 times
gribbles 3.JPG
gribbles 3.JPG (72.36 KiB) Viewed 67384 times
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Blue Dire Toad Model Change

Unread post by Dialga »

Frumble wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:17 pm I tamed a Blue Dire Toad from Waycrest before 10.2 and forgot about him, I pulled him out and saw that he has a battle pet model now. Has anyone else had this pet change since the patch? The pet now shares the model with Tonguelasher battle pet.
This is an ancient issue Blizzard has never fixed. Several hunter pets share models with Hex/Polymorph which has a lot of variants to the models you can change that spell to. Bufo, Marsh Gulpers, and I think another I'm forgetting all suffer from the fact that Blizzard has never coded the game to differentiate between a hunter pet that has been polymorphed/hexed (should be shrunk) and a hunter pet that literally just IS that model. So, the game sees a hunter pet has that model, and just instantly brings it down to Polymorph/Hex mini-size.
Last edited by Dialga on Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frumble
Realm: Illidan

Unread post by Frumble »

I went to the dungeon just to double check and I guess they changed the model for m plus. they are still flagged as tameable.
Attachments
Blight Toad.JPG
Blight Toad.JPG (21.71 KiB) Viewed 67376 times
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

This means that the old Blue Blight Toad is now an unavailable skin. On the plus side, this is a new unique 'baby' skin that we have never had access to before.

Wain - if you do inform the developers, can you please see if they can fix the underlying code issue of pets shrinking due to the Polymorph/Hex model confusion instead of just swapping the pet? The bug affects a lot of pets, not just this one.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

What the heck, that’s absurd. How did they even decide to change from a perfectly fine huge toad model to a battle pet model that has no mouth animations. I mean they’re cool that they’re tiny, but it’s hard to believe that the blue toad is going away, hopefully a fix will happen and revert them
Fangzzs
Realm: sargeras-US

Unread post by Fangzzs »

I think the model is fun and adorable lol. I think if blizz decides to fix, just let people who like them keep them and then re add the blue toad. A mix of both sides will keep everyone happy.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oops. I’ve passed this on, including a list of untameable blue toads as possible alternatives. So even if the Waycrest one remains a low poly toad, hopefully they can flag some of the other blue toads in the Dragon Isles tameable as new options (there are a few untameable ones that seem to be viable options).
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Fixed the toads on the PTR to the old skin, though not the overall issue of pets shrinking to PVP-exploit size due to the buggy model code of confusing Poly/Hex models with hunter pet models. But since this bug has existed since WoD I think Blizzard just doesn't really care. Annoying to deal with the pets it does affect in PVP but it is what it is.

EDIT: Seems like the fixed the Marsh Gulpers Hex issue, but not the Polymorph: Direhorn size issue.
Vorhees

Unread post by Vorhees »

Dialga wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:53 pm Fixed the toads on the PTR to the old skin, though not the overall issue of pets shrinking to PVP-exploit size due to the buggy model code of confusing Poly/Hex models with hunter pet models. But since this bug has existed since WoD I think Blizzard just doesn't really care. Annoying to deal with the pets it does affect in PVP but it is what it is.

EDIT: Seems like the fixed the Marsh Gulpers Hex issue, but not the Polymorph: Direhorn size issue.
Tamed a Marsh Gulper the other day just for a laugh....I don't think they fixed it. :D
(this is with the glyph of lesser proportion though)
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Vorhees wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:02 am
Dialga wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:53 pm Fixed the toads on the PTR to the old skin, though not the overall issue of pets shrinking to PVP-exploit size due to the buggy model code of confusing Poly/Hex models with hunter pet models. But since this bug has existed since WoD I think Blizzard just doesn't really care. Annoying to deal with the pets it does affect in PVP but it is what it is.

Tamed a Marsh Gulper the other day just for a laugh....I don't think they fixed it. :D
(this is with the glyph of lesser proportion though)
Strange, mine is normal size. I'll try taming a new one.