Glyph of Play Dead Temporarily Erases Appearance Buffs

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rarehunter1
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Glyph of Play Dead Temporarily Erases Appearance Buffs

Unread post by Rarehunter1 »

Apologies if this is already known, but I gave myself a heart attack the other day when I feigned death with my Sha-Tiger out. I had Glyph of Play Dead on, so my tiger feigned death with me, and the Sha-buff disappeared on him, making him a normal looking tiger. I jumped up quickly only to see that after he jumped back up, his Sha-buff did NOT reappear! He had turned into a normal tiger, with nothing to signify him ever being Sha-touched!! I freaked out, and in desperation, I dismissed him and re-summoned him only to find that the Sha effect had re-appeared.

After learning this, I tried it with all of my appearance buffed pets, and discovered it only temporarily removes the buffs of the glass-buff pets, (pets whose buffs get permanently removed on pet/owner death) while not affecting the perma-ones. So don't abandon your pet if you do this by accident!

Just posting this to prevent the accidental abandonment of those who think they have unintentionally destroyed their appearance buff pet! Heh... Have a good day! ^-^
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Glyph of Play Dead Temporarily Erases Appearance Buffs

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oh how strange! Just a couple months ago I was having fun with the Play Dead glyph and making gifs of a few of my pets doing it. One of them was my sha crocolisk, but the buff definitely stayed on him at the time:
I wonder if something changed between then and now or if it's some odd fluke? Good to have the heads up just in case though.
Rarehunter1
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Rarehunter1 »

Honestly, I think it's always been like this since the glyphs release, but I had just never tried it with my fragile appearance buff pets. Your crocolisk's buff is one of the perma-ones meaning if you accidentally died in game while he's out, he wouldn't lose his buff, while the Sha-tigers are one of the fragile appearance buff pets which means they permanently lose the visual on death. Same happened with my Enervated Plainstrider (Sparkly Butt) and Infested Bear (Green Skull Cloud) when I "played dead" with them. They turned into normal looking pets until I dismissed and resummoned. ^^ I don't have all of the fragile appearance buff pets, but I'm pretty sure this would happen to all of them if tested. Might be something others could test out on their own fragile appearance pets in spare time, since they don't actually ever lose their buffs, and I only had a few of them heh. ^^ But by all means don't if you don't feel like it. O_o
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ahhh I see! I only picked up the crocolisk myself, so when you said Sha-Tiger I assumed it would be the same type of buff that he had. Good to know!