Which new pet families would you most like to see?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Which untameable groups of beasts would you most like to see tameable?

[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Aquatics (not a single family, but a new class of water-restricted families for sharks, threshadons, krakens, eels, frenzy fish etc.)[/td][/tr][/table]
5%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Armadillos[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Camels[/td][/tr][/table]
No votes
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Cloud Serpents[/td][/tr][/table]
6%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Diemetradons / Incendosaurs[/td][/tr][/table]
2%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Elekks / Mammoths[/td][/tr][/table]
1%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Fire Hawks / Phoenixes / Flametalons[/td][/tr][/table]
7%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Frogs and Toads[/td][/tr][/table]
5%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Giraffes[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Gryphons[/td][/tr][/table]
5%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Gyreworms[/td][/tr][/table]
5%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Hell Hounds[/td][/tr][/table]
8%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Hippogryphs[/td][/tr][/table]
7%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Horses[/td][/tr][/table]
3%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Kodos[/td][/tr][/table]
0%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Kunchong[/td][/tr][/table]
6%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Mana Wyrms[/td][/tr][/table]
3%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Mushan[/td][/tr][/table]
2%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Pterordaxxes / Skyscreamers[/td][/tr][/table]
9%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Rams[/td][/tr][/table]
3%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Sandreavers[/td][/tr][/table]
4%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Snails[/td][/tr][/table]
2%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Shoveltusks[/td][/tr][/table]
3%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Stegodons / Thunder Lizards[/td][/tr][/table]
2%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Windsteeds[/td][/tr][/table]
3%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Wyverns[/td][/tr][/table]
2%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Yaks[/td][/tr][/table]
4%
[table=border:none; display: inline-table;][tr][td]Image[/td][td=1,width:300px;vertical-align: middle;]Zhevras / Unicorns[/td][/tr][/table]
2%

Total votes: 421

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Re: Which new pet families would you most like to see?

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Edit: I selected Diemetradons, frogs /toad, hell hounds, mana wyrms and Pterordaxxes / Skyscreamers. I would give all for mana wyrms or hell hounds though. Wanted both since I first saw them.
Last edited by zedxrgal on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Chya
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Chya »

Could Pythons be added to the list? Would def. vote for them
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Chya wrote:Could Pythons be added to the list? Would def. vote for them
They're already mostly classed as serpents, just untameable :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Bendak wrote:
Lupen202 wrote: But to be honest, all of these choices could easily work except maybe phoenixes, gyreworms and hell hounds (elementals).
Shale Spiders are basically elementals, aren't they? I always thought they should rename the family to Shale Beast and toss the gyreworms in with the shale spiders.
Yeah we were discussing this the other day, Gyreworms look nothing like Shale Spiders regarding shape/size/animations... but then theyd o both look like stone clumps/fragments that have combined to make a "beast". That and if you changed it to Shale Beast, it would be no Different to a Spirit Beast, in which the family consists of random "spirits" of crabs/bears/cats/wolves/owls,etc. That said though, where does one draw the line at whats a "Shale" beast?

A Worm?

or a Direhorn?

or a Qulien?

or a Cat?

or a Crab?

or a Turtle?

etc etc etc...

Safe to say there was a lot of back and forth, for and against... and it's all shades of grey in between. . :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Unread post by Nimrod »

I had to vote for Hippogryphs, Gryphons, Cloud Serpents, Fire Hawks and Hell Hounds (in that order!).

Chya
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Chya »

Wain wrote:
oh ya. Guess got to thinking they'd be nice to tame too much, forgot that wasn't the topic lol. Sorry about that, maybe one day though.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Chya wrote:
Wain wrote:
oh ya. Guess got to thinking they'd be nice to tame too much, forgot that wasn't the topic lol. Sorry about that, maybe one day though.
It's a good comment for the other poll though :) Vote for serpents and mention the python model :)
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm still very against cloud serpents or phoenixes, but I'm not gonna keep beating a dead horse about it since there's already been several heated topics in the past and I've already written a convincing english argumentative paper about why.

I'm pretty much for everything else really.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

A few of these I think should be combined, either with each other or an existing family. Yaks should go in with goats, and I think diemetrodons should go in with stegodons. Gyreworms should either go in with shale spiders (stone thingies) or worms (rigging). No need for more families, really, we're honestly more after the skins than more functionality and Bliz generally equates families with functionality.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Nachtwulf wrote:A few of these I think should be combined, either with each other or an existing family. Yaks should go in with goats, and I think diemetrodons should go in with stegodons. Gyreworms should either go in with shale spiders (stone thingies) or worms (rigging). No need for more families, really, we're honestly more after the skins than more functionality and Bliz generally equates families with functionality.
Some of them could definitely be combined into new or existing families. Rams could go with goats as well. Mushan could go with stegodons in a "thunder lizard" family, maybe kodos also. But I decided to leave it fairly open for the vote. If certain types were combined then their votes could be also, like if you were looking at a thunder lizard family then the popularity would be much higher than any of them alone (unless the exact same people voted for each).

I decided to combine fire hawks with phoenixes, and elekks with mammoths, but I felt they were undeniably in the same families. It's a bit subjective though :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

SpiritBinder wrote:or a Direhorn?

or a Turtle?
Oh I forgot about the primordial direhorns and tortos. I don't care if they go into a new shale/rock/elemental beast family or part of an existing, I would love to see them!
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Kunchong and Pterrorwings are definitely my top 2. Well, actually, centipedes would be my 1, but there's no models for those, so yeah.

And 3 and 4 would easily be Sandreavers and Hellhounds.

I think Windsteed would be a great stag or spirit beast rare.

I think old content challenge tames (mobs included being 100, of course) would not be bad anyway. It wold bring some life to old content now and then, like what they did with Outlands and the Warlock Green Fire Quest Chain.

They could just make it a track/challenge in Pandaria with mobs scaled up for the occassion/scenario so they are 100.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

I'd LOVE Windsteeds! I always wanted to see them in the world since that mount was revealed... Probably the only thing I'd like more than Cloud Serpents. Mushan, Frogs, and Aquatics were my other choices (in that order.)
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Man... as selfish as it sounds, I wish a few of these choices were not offered at all. I know that Wain put pretty much every possible choice on there so we wouldn't have ceaseless debate, but still...

To explain myself a little further: Cloud Serpents, Phoenixes, and Hell-hounds are currently three of the most popular choices. None of these are classified as beasts (save a few cloud serpents) and many have previously argued that they are beyond hunter taming. Meanwhile, many of the more "legitimate" hunter pet candidates (in my view) are far less popular, probably because they are not as "flashy" and "exciting".

In my mind there are two categories of potential hunter pets:

Those that we can't tame because the game won't let us: literally being unable to cast "tame", but it's a reasonable request and even some NPC hunters can be found with these creatures...
and those that we can't tame because the lore won't let us: as cool as Nerubian pets might be, it doesn't make any sense and has no basis in the overall story of WoW.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the hell-hounds and phoenixes. If we can tame the spectral (spirit beasts), the earthen (shale spiders), and the corrupted (void/fel wolves), why can't we have fire-elemental pets? Despite this, I still can't see a hunter running around with a cloud serpent by her side. It just worries me that the ever-popular desire to tame dragons and elementals causes Blizzard to have an attitude of "These hunters always want what they can't have", and makes new pet requests seem a little more demanding.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, I get that. There are things on that list that are unlikely, but I didn't want to prejudge the choices people made. Hence even the "sillier" ones, like snails (although we got caterpillars, so who knows what'll happen next time a dev. is in a whimsical mood? ;) ) Regardless, the devs will decide for themselves what is a realistic family, so our poll (should they see it) is unlikely to to influence their minds, I wouldn't get too worried. I guess judge for yourself what are realistic candidates and then look among those for what has been most popular. I do understand that the spread of votes among the more mundane families may be skewed by some people being distracted by flashier things. Maybe a reduced poll of just the mundane families would be of interest too, but even then there'll be disagreement on what should and shouldn't be included. :/

One positive doing the poll this way: if a mundane family still manages to be popular amongst flashier, less realistic options, then it must really be popular. Skyscreamers, for example. :)

One correction to your post, though: all cloud serpents are beasts (and if any are not then they're in error). Some were classed as dragonkin in the early Panda beta but all were very intentionally changed to beasts. I'm not saying they would necessarily make good pets, but just to explain that is the only reason why I included them in this poll, and not other primitive dragon-like creatures, like proto-drakes and fey drakes (which are both intended to be dragonkin). For beastly elementals I used the precedent of shale spiders to include them, even though they may (or may not) be out of consideration from Blizzard's perspective. (And I'm honestly surprised by the hellhound vote, I didn't realize interest was that high!)
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

You can tame undead things too.
While not specifically undead, the disease wolf and bears, too.

As for elementals, if hunters can tame a gem cat, a gem crab, stone quilins, and a rock spider, then I don't think hellhound is too far fetched. This again is just my opinion and because I really want a hellhound haha. I think it would be cool if they added the other gem cats too.

I don't think I can properly endorse cloudserpent taming, though, because they seem very intelligant. Though maybe not completely sentient? (unless you count Yu'lon but technically she is a deity not an *actual* cloud serpent, she can change her form, etc.)

And then there is Nalak, but I don't remember about him, why he can speak, etc. If he was possessed or corrupted or something.
Yes, I realize they are beasts, but I think they (Blizzard) might consider them to be TOO close to taming dragon. If they made the cloudserpent tameable, people would probably start asking for the taming of other 'dragon', like drakes, sprite darters. protodrakes.

idk.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Scarlet wrote:You can tame undead things too.
While not specifically undead, the disease wolf and bears, too.
I want consistency and this is a prime example. Why is a clearly dead eagle OK but a clearly dead raptor/wind serpent not? We can tame ghosts and spirits too. Another way inconsistency bothers me is NPCs in game that have things tamed we can't (such as the rare with the tamed skyscreamer). Just personal irks of mine.

Alas my poor shoveltusk. Need more love for those hideous beasts!
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Wain wrote:Maybe a reduced poll of just the mundane families would be of interest too, but even then there'll be disagreement on what should and shouldn't be included. :/
That's what I wished at first too, but then I thought the same thing.
Wain wrote:One correction to your post, though: all cloud serpents are beasts (and if any are not then they're in error). Some were classed as dragonkin in the early Panda beta but all were very intentionally changed to beasts.
BOOM! Mind blown, thank you for correcting me. I guess my mind was still stuck back in MoP beta.
A quick WoWhead search seems to indicate that there are maybe 7-10 odd Cloud Serpents still labeled as Dragonkin (like all the young cloud serpents for the dailies), and I guess these just subconsciously confirmed it further in my mind, despite never looking at all the other Cloud Serpents. My point still stands, as they are very dragon-like, but now I understand the tameable desire a lot more.

Wain wrote:(And I'm honestly surprised by the hellhound vote, I didn't realize interest was that high!)
They are really cool beasts, they just barely got beaten by Shoveltusks for me. Seeing Shannox with two huge hellhounds just makes me envious every time I run Firelands.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Equeon wrote:
Wain wrote:(And I'm honestly surprised by the hellhound vote, I didn't realize interest was that high!)
They are really cool beasts, they just barely got beaten by Shoveltusks for me. Seeing Shannox with two huge hellhounds just makes me envious every time I run Firelands.
Of all the elemental beasts I think they'd make the best pets too. As you point out elemental hunters use them in that exact role. I just hadn't seen them mentioned a lot so I didn't think they were that popular.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I think a lot can be said of making some of these desired non-traditional beast skins/models into rare/challenge/quest tames. I personally think that would be a wonderful middle ground if asking for a family is too much. Of course they would have to fit into some existing family (everything weird can't be a spirit beast) but its an idea!