Need a new dino? Why not Spinosaur-... berg.

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Need a new dino? Why not Spinosaur-... berg.

Unread post by Qraljar »

Okay, jokey reference title aside, I'm aware that this is far from the first dinosaur thread on here, and I highly doubt it will be the last.

But in this thread, I'd like to vouch for the Spinosaurus. Now I also know that Crotalus Horridus and Equeon (going off the top of my head) have made their fair share of dino threads, but as for this OP, I'd like to stick to the Spinosaurus.

However, while the OP being about the Spinosaurus exclusively invites discussion about that particular dino (or semi-aquatic quadrupedal dinosaur), I'd still like to see your opinions on what dinos you'd like to get a Warcraft representation. As always, the more information and more pretty pictures you supply, the more interesting the discussion can get.

Feel free to create lore, even, as Blizzard has done with the Devilsaur for example.

Simply put, my OP is about Spinosaurids, but you can just treat it as your general "This is the dino I want in WoW, and this is why!" thread as well.

Anyway, about the Spinosaurus, an above bracketed sentence of mine already kinda of spoiled it: I am talking about the new (theorized) appearance of the Spinosaurus. We're still not sure, and the appearance could evolve as we uncover more, as it has indeed done since the first Spinosaurid fossil discoveries, but for now, all we have to go on is this:

The new appearance has been subject of quite some discussion among well, even paleontologists, but also just general dino fans. Sticking with the simpler complaints of the dinosaur fans who had grown to love (or hate; see Jurassic Park 3) the Tyrannosaurus Rex-like design, many people feel this new appearance is a lot less intimidating. I, personally, disagree heavily, and find it more intimidating than it was, but people are entitled to their opinions.

I have one qualm with the new Spinosaurus, and it isn't a big enough qualm for me to dislike it. Also, with a new design comes an uniqueness, both as the actual creature, as well as in the shape of a possible WoW model. Simply put, while the old design would have been more at home in the Devilsaur family, the new one could easily be its own family.

So, to put it concisely: I really hope the Zandalari deliver a few new dinosaurs, including the Spinosaurus. It could be quite at home in an Azshara/N'Zoth/South Seas/Islands/Zandalari expansion.

I imagine both the swimming and walking animations would be quite awesome, and given that its length is dimmed by a horizontal posture, they could make it rather large as well. With that said, it was still theorized that, at times, almost like a Meerkat, the Spinosaurus stood up on its hind legs and stood vertically, this improve his line of sight or make himself larger, more intimidating. Personally, I think that would make a great idle animation, standing up on its hind legs, looking around and scouting the area and then getting down on all fours again.

On the older design: that could still make a great new Devilsaur skin of sorts, as a homage to it. They could easily explain that lorewise.

I have no idea as to what kinds of special abilities it would have off the top of my head. Do you have an idea?

Well, give me your opinion, ideas and such.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Re: Need a new dino? Why not Spinosaur-... berg.

Unread post by Qraljar »

No love for them spinos or other dinos?

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I don't want to derail the thread, but do you guys have any idea of what other models that could be fit in, into the 'Direhorn' group?

I would love a 'behemoth' or long neck group (long necked saurapods) if we get a Zandalarian expansion set;

Amargasaurus

Brachiosaurus

I would love also giant frilled lizards inspired dinosaur(like from Jurassic park)to be part of the 'Raptor' family

having said, how much does Warcraft needs to get their art style to go hand in hand with the recent discovery that some dnosaurs, mostly carnivores have feathers?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The spinosaurs are very cool, and very much like our "diemetradons" in game. I think there was a post about them once before. They would be an awesome addition and a great pet :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

pop wrote:I don't want to derail the thread, but do you guys have any idea of what other models that could be fit in, into the 'Direhorn' group?
Not derailing at all. While the OP is about the Spinosaurus, this thread is really just about any dinos. :)

Also, as for what other models could fit into the Direhorn group.. that's a hard one. I think the Direhorn family is currently too exclusive to really fit many other dinosaurs in there. It's kind of like the Shale Spider family right now.
pop wrote:having said, how much does Warcraft needs to get their art style to go hand in hand with the recent discovery that some dnosaurs, mostly carnivores have feathers?
Well, WoW currently has gone for the old school Jurassic Park designs, but I think for the Warcraft lore, they could work in some evolution thing, where the less feathery, more reptile-like raptors are an earlier version of the more feathery ones that they could also add.

I also think the Ji-Kun Hatchlings (the one that are ground-bound) are pretty close to feathered raptors as it is.
Wain wrote:The spinosaurs are very cool, and very much like our "diemetradons" in game. I think there was a post about them once before. They would be an awesome addition and a great pet :)
They're a lot like Diemetradons, but slimmer and more streamlined in general. Also, Diemetradons are closer to the ground. I think a Spinosaur model that, like with the Direhorn, uses a whole new skeleton and model, or at least a highly tweaked old skeleton, would be a really great new exotic pet family.

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

I'm all for more dinos. I'd love a dilophosaurus.

I love a spinosaurus too, but I'm used to the Jurassic Park version.

But the guy in your photos IS very cool and I agree he looks intimidating.

I also think they could do something with the thresher models they have too.

And a couple more i'd think would be cool in WoW:

Baryonyx

Suchomimus

Mosasaurus

Carnotaurus

Indominus Rex
(This one's just a joke, I'm being silly, Lmao)

Compsognathus (one that gets its own model)

And I thought the colors on this guy looked badass

Basically, I think they could have very well added more dinosaurs in the isle of giants, instead of just direhorn and devilsaur. I'm not hating, I just think it could of been a lot more diverse and interesting. Sure it was probably just added as a time sink, the bone farming thing, and for hunter's to get the direhorn book.

But imagine the possibilities. There could of been dinosaurs, the bigger ones, hunting smaller ones. Maybe they'd find you instead and snap you up. You'd be a snack instead of a mighty hunter lol. I think a lot of cool mechanics too. Like the spino you have, with the standing and looking. Near the water side, snapping at pools of fish too. Maybe some Mosasaurus swimming around in the depths.

Like, yes I will admit my acktual knowledge of dinosaurs is limited and a lot of what I know is going off JP/JW series, which, I know, is like not a good source at all. But I'm dumb. ha. Anyways, I think a special spino ability could be like, idk, I have lots of ideas but none of them actually fit with actual useful abilities. Like you can go in any water and the pet can bring back a small amount of fish (like 5-8 maybe) after maybe.. 2minutes of wading and snapping his jaws in the water. Mosasaurus could have an aoe attack. Boiling water or something. It's WoW, It doesn't have to make too much sense. Though now as I'm typing I realize they couldn't be pets anyway because they're aquatic. #oops lol

I have a lot more ideas but I don't really want to spam up this topic with my uneducated ramblings. lawl

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I just want more feathered dinosaurs. The Teroclaw Hatchling spoiled me since it's a (stylized) feathered velociraptor.
Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Doc Privas »

I want a thresher pet so much, they are so cute <3

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU

Zulmalakhan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Unread post by Zulmalakhan »

in truth the skyscreamer head reminds me of spinosaurids in general so I think that is the direction they are going with new dinos

BUT I WOULD KILL FOR A FRILLED DILO I LOVE THEM :D

also if they add feathers to new models it would be nice, but it is not required, all blizzard dinos are unique to that world and combine traits from various dino species and some other animals

skyscreamer - pterosaurs, spinosaurids, bats

direhorn - triceratops, styracosaurus, ankylosaurus

devilsaur - Tyrannosaurids, longisquama, thorny devil

raptors - raptors, ceratosaurus

and so on :3, as such they are all fictional dinosaurs so they can have or not have feathers, most likely they will add armored and mount versions that have feathered decorations, with the occasional spikes ( as is the case with the PvP raptor mount in WoD )

still a frilled dilo would be awesome, especially if his pet special ability would be something like a spit that slows movement or attackspeed or an interrupt :3, there is a new expansion being revealed on august 6th, if my guess is right and it is Eye of Azshara there could be plenty of options for dilos: south sea exploration reveals new islands near zandalar; or a raptor and coatl fusion experiment, or an old god corrupted raptor, there are plenty of lore friendly reasons to add a dinosaur that looks like the frilled JP dilo ( if you look at nagas they also have frills, and some saurok :3 )

still hoping for a dinosaur race though :3, worgen style story, raptors in the barrens get mutated by druidic energy/druids of the fang go nuts/ zandalari try to take over barrens and infuse some power into raptors they end up evolving and so on and so forth :D
Zaranock
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bladefist

Unread post by Zaranock »

I love this idea!

Personally, I'm always going to favor the Jurassic Park Spinosaurus, as I think it's more fearsome in my opinion. However, I also really think the quadruped Spinosaurus is also very unique and intimidating.

I'd love an expansion of the devilsaur family to include some more dinosaurs like them, such as Carnotaurus. I LOVE Carnotaurs, and think they'd look pretty brutal once they've been 'Warcrafted'.

Also, I think Therizinosaurus would be a really, really unique and very warcraftian dinosaur to put in. See below!

If you can't tell off the bat, it's basically a long-necked bipedal dinosaur with these insane freaky-long Slitheen claws. It's an herbivore, but in WoW, I'm sure it'd be a reaping marauder of death and despair.

So, yeah. My two copper.
Zulmalakhan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Unread post by Zulmalakhan »

yea the therizino would be a good idea, not sure I want a wow-ized carnotaurus though, because of blizzards recent tendency of using underbites where they aren't needed ( deathwing in wow his older artwork without the stinking metal jaw is way more awesome, kaijo diablo skin in hots also suffers from this, undead get new feature in WoD, metal lower jaw...... the only underbites that look proper are skyscreamers and the perky pug :3) yea if they keep the head shape as it is or elongate it slightly and enlarge the spikes and make it look like it ingested more steroids than a truck could carry it would be awesome.... but not with the underbite.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

It would be SO cool to have a gigantic, neutral Brachiosaurus stomping around some zone. Sort of like the elites in Gorgrond. I just think it would be beyond epic to come across one of these guys when running through a zone... having to tilt your camera up just to see the neck of the thing. Or what about a whale shark sized Mosasaurus hiding in the middle of a large lake. *sighs*

I'm always for more dinos.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I would love a Spinosaurus pet, my goodness it'd be amazing!!!

I'm also all for a Carnotaurus. While Spinosaurus' are my favourite dinosaur now, the Carnotaurus was my childhood favourite. They don't need much done to them to look brutal. Their name means "bull-headed" so that speaks for itself.
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

haha primal carnage extinction dinos in wow.. they wont do it because they are not that nice to add awesome dinos like that
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I can't help thinking of this guy...
(Armadon, Primal Rage)

There's a nod to Primal Rage in Gorgrond if y'all weren't aware, haha...

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

pop wrote:I don't want to derail the thread, but do you guys have any idea of what other models that could be fit in, into the 'Direhorn' group?

I would love a 'behemoth' or long neck group (long necked saurapods) if we get a Zandalarian expansion set;

Amargasaurus

Brachiosaurus

I would love also giant frilled lizards inspired dinosaur(like from Jurassic park)to be part of the 'Raptor' family

having said, how much does Warcraft needs to get their art style to go hand in hand with the recent discovery that some dnosaurs, mostly carnivores have feathers?
Dilophosaurus! Yus!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Doc Privas »

I want dino pets that look exactly like this:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU