Pet despawning upon death

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dustil
Realm: Nozdormu

Pet despawning upon death

Unread post by Dustil »

Hi everyone.

I lately encountered a bug with one of my pets. I tamed myself an Angered Arakkoa Protector a while ago, and when I used a few days ago, I noticed that when the pet dies, it actually despawns instead of just, like, fall dead to the ground. When that happens, the pet action bar disappears, as well as the pet tab in the spellbook etc.
It is like the game thinks your pet isn't just dead, but gone entirely. Fortunately my hunter abilities like call pet etc. still work as intended. I can't call a different pet, because I already have one, I can't release it since it is dead, and revive pet actually revives my pet.
The problem is the missing action bar. Of course you can't use any pet abilities as long as it is dead, UNLESS your pet happens to use the ferocity spec and you want to use Heart of the Poenix, in which case you can't.

My guess is, since the mob you have to tame for this pet is a spawned one that probably is supposed to despawn upon death, rather than leave a lootable body, the pet keeps that behaviour once tamed. Now I'm not sure if there are other tameable spawned mobs with the same problem out there or if this is the only pet that has that bug.
Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Re: Pet despawning upon death

Unread post by Nimrod »

Have you tried making a macro for /cast Heart of the Phoenix?

Dustil
Realm: Nozdormu

Unread post by Dustil »

I just tried the macro. As soon as the pet dies/despawns the macro is greyed out, so I can't use it.
I tested the macro on another pet of mine and I could use it. Just to make sure the macro works as intended.
Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Unread post by Nimrod »

Weird. It's probably an innate feature of that particular mob.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It sounds like that mob destroys a reference to itself upon death, a bit like a null pointer. That's my rough guess anyway. Very curious. I'll have to try one out :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.