(Hotfixed) Stunted Direhorn Tamed!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Stunted Direhorn Tamed!

Unread post by Kalliope »

Dialga wrote:Heh, those eyes are cursed. I've never actually seen that work.
How quickly they forget.... ;)

I've still got my sad porcupine pic around here someplace. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Dialga wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic that Blizzard won't pay any attention to this at all. I'd guess less than 50 players total managed it, and it'd be really nice for them to just let those hard-working people keep them.
I was tempted to try and get one but I think the most likely outcome is they get hotfixed to regular Direhorns (like how the "carpet of fire" turned back into a regular raptor). Even if they allow those who got them to keep them they're probably going to have to resize them as they look really huge in all the screenshots, so I'd advise keeping them out of random raids at least. Everyone remembers how big Chibee the worm was - then people complained about his size in raids, and Chibee got shrunk. :(
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Kalliope wrote:
Dialga wrote:Heh, those eyes are cursed. I've never actually seen that work.
How quickly they forget.... ;)

I've still got my sad porcupine pic around here someplace. :D
Heh! I'd forgotten about those guys.
peanutbuttercup wrote:
Dialga wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic that Blizzard won't pay any attention to this at all. I'd guess less than 50 players total managed it, and it'd be really nice for them to just let those hard-working people keep them.
I was tempted to try and get one but I think the most likely outcome is they get hotfixed to regular Direhorns (like how the "carpet of fire" turned back into a regular raptor). Even if they allow those who got them to keep them they're probably going to have to resize them as they look really huge in all the screenshots, so I'd advise keeping them out of random raids at least. Everyone remembers how big Chibee the worm was - then people complained about his size in raids, and Chibee got shrunk. :(
This is actually a pretty interesting case, but it does have conflicting issues in the precedents. The only time Blizzard has ever changed the models is on two occasions - Garwal, a humanoid and in the next expansion a playable race, and the fire raptor pet which was a clear exploit and had to be dealt with. These were pretty severe issues, and it's the only time Blizzard has ever gone in and changed models.

That said, the precedent in FAVOR of keeping the Direhorns comes from MoP, with the Gurabashi Grub and the Parasitic Amberworms. Both models were allowed to be kept, and merely shrunk down a little bit later. Since the Direhorns fall into the exact same boat as just plain old beast models of an existing family with a model they hadn't quite intended, the precedent they set SHOULD be the same hopefully, but, Blizzard does as Blizzard does.

That said only a handful of people accomplished these tames in a span of ~24 hours, unlike Chibee who anyone could go out and tame easy peasy, so I don't know if Blizzard will even bother with these guys... ever. I only count about 10-12 people in this thread confirmed as having one, and while it's a big deal to us - it's a pretty small glitch.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Re: (Hotfixed) Stunted Direhorn Tamed!

Unread post by Equeon »

Aw shoot, did I miss it already? That was pretty fast compared to the Grubs.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Equeon wrote:Aw shoot, did I miss it already? That was pretty fast compared to the Grubs.
I'm presuming the fix wasn't actually aimed at the Dino Taming but just an unfortunate side effect, since it was technically the ability to cause nonhostile NPCs to aggro you anywhere in the world, or possibly even loading into BGs with it, that was an issue. They fixed people being able to leave Orgrimmar/SW with any form of the buffs and having it fall off on loading screens.
Tonnes
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by Tonnes »

Kill me now, being fron New Zealand never felt so bad :'( I had feeling I would wake up to this tho...
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Dialga wrote:That said only a handful of people accomplished these tames in a span of ~24 hours, unlike Chibee who anyone could go out and tame easy peasy, so I don't know if Blizzard will even bother with these guys... ever. I only count about 10-12 people in this thread confirmed as having one, and while it's a big deal to us - it's a pretty small glitch.
All it takes is for one person to annoy others with it (let's say in LFR and people are complaining they can't see past it due to size) and it'll get changed or taken away. So I hope that those who did manage to get one keep that in mind - don't give Bliz a reason to take it away.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

peanutbuttercup wrote:
Dialga wrote:That said only a handful of people accomplished these tames in a span of ~24 hours, unlike Chibee who anyone could go out and tame easy peasy, so I don't know if Blizzard will even bother with these guys... ever. I only count about 10-12 people in this thread confirmed as having one, and while it's a big deal to us - it's a pretty small glitch.
All it takes is for one person to annoy others with it (let's say in LFR and people are complaining they can't see past it due to size) and it'll get changed or taken away. So I hope that those who did manage to get one keep that in mind - don't give Bliz a reason to take it away.
Best for me to keep my rare furry kodo in her stables then when I run anything in a group I don't want it nerfed either or any of my big pets for that matter don't want them shrunk.
Valordsh
Realm: Coilfang-US

Unread post by Valordsh »

I am so glad I check the Petopia forums every once in awhile. With the help of Dialga I got all 3 colors of the direhorn.
Jagdtiger
Realm: Korgath

Unread post by Jagdtiger »

Just wanted to give another thanks to everyone who helped me yesterday, especially Sneaky and Kaeridas without whom it wouldn't have been possible.

Bonus: Tanking Rag like a boss

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Wow, so in 24hrs they can "fix" a rather harmless pet taming mechanic... good to see the priorities for what needs to be "fixed" for hunters.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Jagdtiger
Realm: Korgath

Unread post by Jagdtiger »

SpiritBinder wrote:Wow, so in 24hrs they can "fix" a rather harmless pet taming mechanic... good to see the priorities for what needs to be "fixed" for hunters.

It would be really sad if this were the case but like someone pointed out above, the buff that made this possible which was Hysteria, was being abused in other ways and it seems like we were just collateral damage in their attempts to hotfix it
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, it was a buff that could be exploited in a bunch of ways. It's also something related to invasions / world events and so the fixer would have been in a different team to the ones that work on hunters. Point taken, though : there were serious issues with Hunters from Alpha and they still made it to release. It honestly felt that as long as hunters weren't overpowered (laugh!) or contained exploits then our only job in Alpha was merely to rubber stamp the class :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Jagdtiger wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:Wow, so in 24hrs they can "fix" a rather harmless pet taming mechanic... good to see the priorities for what needs to be "fixed" for hunters.
It would be really sad if this were the case but like someone pointed out above, the buff that made this possible which was Hysteria, was being abused in other ways and it seems like we were just collateral damage in their attempts to hotfix it
A shame none the less, but then it was only a matter of time I suppose.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Wain wrote:Yeah, it was a buff that could be exploited in a bunch of ways. It's also something related to invasions / world events and so the fixer would have been in a different team to the ones that work on hunters. Point taken, though : there were serious issues with Hunters from Alpha and they still made it to release. It honestly felt that as long as hunters weren't overpowered (laugh!) or contained exploits then our only job in Alpha was merely to rubber stamp the class :P
Give us a heads up if you get any glean of info on if we can keep the cuties like the grubs, Wain! I try not to get too attached until I get the go-ahead (I still get dreams about taming Garwal again, I do, I wish I didn't but oh god I didn't know they could change models back then and I got SO attached like a fool).

But look at his eyes, Wain. Look at that face. I'm already in love.

(Kiss him.)
Valordsh
Realm: Coilfang-US

Unread post by Valordsh »

I know how you feel. It's really hard not getting to attached to my BabyBop (green direhorn). I'm also curious about the other exploits other people used it for that made it hotfix so fast. Does anyone know?
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I think it's ok to run around with this one, I mean how many pets have they taken from us once tamed? One that I can think of and that was a humanoid model (also a soon to be playable race) so I can understand that. I'm pretty sure all they will do is shrink them down a bit to get them in line with other large pets. I mean I still have a slime in my party half the time and I'm sure a baby dino is more of a Hunter pet than a slime is. :mrgreen:

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Valordsh wrote:I know how you feel. It's really hard not getting to attached to my BabyBop (green direhorn). I'm also curious about the other exploits other people used it for that made it hotfix so fast. Does anyone know?
I heard about a couple things from my friend who uses Ownedcore Elite, something about the Brawler's Guild and getting into blocked off places? I don't know the details since I can only see the Elite forums if I donate money, but I heard some things were springing up. I'd also assume if you were ported to a starting area you could massacre starting players if they were flagged on accident.

If people figured out how to port with that Dreadlord buff activated, not sure if they did, all hell would break loose, that thing oneshots me on my 730 hunter. Kinda wish they'd nerf it a little.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Rawr wrote:I think it's ok to run around with this one, I mean how many pets have they taken from us once tamed? One that I can think of and that was a humanoid model (also a soon to be playable race) so I can understand that. I'm pretty sure all they will do is shrink them down a bit to get them in line with other large pets. I mean I still have a slime in my party half the time and I'm sure a baby dino is more of a Hunter pet than a slime is. :mrgreen:
Honestly I think that would be the best resolution, to allow the lucky few to keep them but to shrink them so that they're not any larger than a normal "big" pet.

I don't think anyone should be paranoid to bring it out or use it but at the same time, be prepared to get a lot of curious whispers and the occasional "I'm going to report you" troll. :roll: And if you are in a group and someone asks you to put it away (I've gotten that with my fire pig, melee don't like that they can't see fire on the ground near it!) it's easier to just do that than to give them a reason to actually complain.
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

im curious.. but did anyone prove that tan wolf with the scuba helm a confirm tame?

excuse my derpyness, ive stayed up all through till this morning to fix my sleeping patterns *tho itl be ruind on wed night again lol* having a hard time paying attention XD