Majority of pets Uniqueness Gone?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Evilcandy26
Realm: Jubei'Thos

Unread post by Evilcandy26 »

If hunter pets don't give bonuses and most of their unique abilities are gone now(except for exotic pets), what is the difference between most pets apart from look?
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Majority of pets Uniqueness Gone?

Unread post by Rawr »

http://www.wow-petopia.com/talents/skills.php Not all the non-Exotic abilities were taken :mrgreen:

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Also, and I think this is important, 'unique' often means 'obligatory'. When Broken Tooth was ultra fast, Broken Tooth was obligatory. When cats were best, cats were obligatory. When ravagers were best, ravagers were obligatory.

It didn't matter what YOU wanted to bring, or what pet YOU wanted to watch the butt of, if you didn't have the Flavor Pet of the Week, you were a N00B and a L0S3R, and would be castigated until you PLAYED RIGHT.

I'm tired of 'RIGHT'. If I wanna bring a goddamn yak to your party, let me bring my goddamn yak.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm 50/50 on this. I agree entirely with what Nacht said, however, I also wouldn't mind if pets had their own abilities that didn't necessarily make one better than the other. For example, spiders can slow, and crocolisks can slow (the only non-exotic ones that can off the top of my head). I wouldn't mind at all if they gave a couple other families this same ability. At the same time, maybe give a -% healing to a couple others, so on and so forth. Maybe give a couple more birds the rylak's skill of slow fall (which I found is really fun and useful in AB), and some more water walking. Those little "flavor" abilities, as I like to call them, could be shuffled around and given to additional families in my opinion without making any one family better than another in raids and dungeons. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Warp stalkers can slow too.

Relevant link to the chart I just compiled from another thread in said thread: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 30#p563630

I completely agree that all pet families should have some sort of skill for utility. These pets have been made special just because they have usable abilities. Just because most pets don't have them anymore, there's still an advantage to running with a pet that can do SOMETHING extra, even if it's not needed all the time.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm in agreement with Kalli, but also to note. 'Unique' and 'Special' are subjective. Loque is always special to me because he's my first spirit beast and I love him. Tak the Leaper (grey raptor) is special to me because he's the first rare I tamed and bonded with. Each of my pets are special to me. Don't really care if anyone else has an opinion on them. x3 They're my babies.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

My Grimtotem Spirit guide is pretty worthless now :l I don't want a spirit beast. I understand people like them, bu I don't. SO I dont want to replace my retired ghost wolf for some silly spirit beast one... But at the same time.. What good are wolves now? They dont have any sort of howl. They have bite and growl. That's about it.
Pretty bummed.

Siggy under construction!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I agree that "less uniqueness" in pet abilities means that players feel less forced to bring a specific pet to raid, and that in itself isn't a bad thing, though it also comes at the cost of some interesting variation between families. But the current situation is the polar opposite. We haven't had this degree of disparity between powerful and weaker pets in many years.

That has been noted, though. Well, it was noted by players since Alpha and seemingly ignored, but I know it's recently been passed on again. What they choose to do about it, if anything, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully it's addressed soon though.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

• Yes. /10char
Frisk wrote:but also to note. 'Unique' and 'Special' are subjective.
Also, special could be subjective... correct, but not so much Unique. Unique simply means exclusive, different, individual, much more of a black and white. I think you may have taken Kali's use of special and what it meant, and inferred it be something other than she was intending. I don't this she was aiming for a fuzzy "Special" feeling per say more of a matter of fact, that they are simply different/individual. :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Kalliope

Wain wrote:I agree that "less uniqueness" in pet abilities means that players feel less forced to bring a specific pet to raid, and that in itself isn't a bad thing, though it also comes at the cost of some interesting variation between families. But the current situation is the polar opposite. We haven't had this degree of disparity between powerful and weaker pets in many years.

That has been noted, though. Well, it was noted by players since Alpha and seemingly ignored, but I know it's recently been passed on again. What they choose to do about it, if anything, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully it's addressed soon though.
Ahh, I hope the team is now in a better position to respond! :)

I mean, it's really just half the remaining families that need something - anything. We see what the active abilities are now. Most would only require a themed name. The old icons for their buffs can be reused. They don't require special graphics unless it's another hero/blust copy.

And if it's just a matter of naming/theming, I'll volunteer. :D

YouTube Edition

Kalliope

SpiritBinder wrote:
Frisk wrote:but also to note. 'Unique' and 'Special' are subjective.
Also, special could be subjective... correct, but not so much Unique. Unique simply means exclusive, different, individual, much more of a black and white. I think you may have taken Kali's use of special and what it meant, and inferred it be something other than she was intending. I don't this she was aiming for a fuzzy "Special" feeling per say more of a matter of fact, that they are simply different/individual. :)
(Sorry for the double reply; I missed this!)

Thank you for clarifying!

I don't mind that "unique" is phasing out for functionality. By all means, keep the "play" options that are unique to a particular species or subspecies.

By spreading out the functional uses for all pet families, we as players can focus on choosing the pets we love rather than the buffs we need. Let's be real: we're already bringing our favorites, so they should all be able to do SOMETHING while they're with us, right? Depending on how we play, of course. But you get what I mean, hopefully.

YouTube Edition

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Pets are sort of like pants now. There are many different appearances, but there's not a single skirt, kilt, loincloth or unitard among them. Just pants. They perform a limited function and it is precisely replicated by all the other pairs of pants. Of course, some make your butt look good (without a stupid metaphor, that means they got to keep a token ability, like a slow) and then there are fancy Elvis pants (aka exotics) that only Elvis (BM hunters) can wear. But it's all pants. And you know, of course, you'll be expected to wear the ones that make your butt look good. Even if it's irrelevant.