Mana Wyrm: Skin Change?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Mana Wyrm: Skin Change?

Unread post by Kurasu »

I sent my tailor through Kara to pick up a couple of the optional goodies (got my chest!). When I went to pass by the mana feeders, though, I had to stop. The skin they have appears to be completely different than the one we have listed here: instead of bright silver, they are greenish, with a green gem in the forehead instead of a yellow one.

Is it the lighting in Kara? Or is it actually a completely new skin?

The closest I could get without aggroing them.

Face to face, showing the gem difference.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Mana Wyrm: Skin Change?

Unread post by Wain »

I think it's just the lighting. The belly is very greyed out too. But if you look at the Wowhead page you'll see the model looks the same as our image, but the screenshot someone took back in 2007 shows the belly looking very grey like in your shots.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

I'll have to bring a tamed Mana Snapper in with Kura and see if it changes. Compare them. And/or take them out of Kara and see if the look changes.

I suspect that the 'spines' are differently reflective than the body if that's the case; they might essentially glow in the dark or something. But it definitely stuck out at me, only because I'd been looking at which one(s) I wanted on Wowhead just a day or two ago and hadn't remembered seeing a green one in Karazan.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

I went and compared the models. It appears that it is the same model..... but there are definitely some lighting issues on it.

Even in brighter areas, they appear to be slightly in shadow, rather than the 'silvery white' that they are shown in the model viewer. And if you take them into somewhere dark, their fins absolutely *glow* because, like the eyes of many mobs and the 'fringes' on Jormungar, they aren't affected by shadows.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That mana wyrm model seems unusually sensitive to light sources. It goes from dull to "argh, my retinas!" when it moves into a sunny area, so I guess the Kara light conditions screw with it easily.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

I think the model images were taken before the big WoD lighting change. All the mana wyrms look much darker than the pics on petopia regardless of lighting.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
kapeco
Realm: Gallywix

Unread post by kapeco »

Helsinki wrote:I think the model images were taken before the big WoD lighting change. All the mana wyrms look much darker than the pics on petopia regardless of lighting.

what changes are you talking about? just for curiosity