AP or AGILITY in sockets

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
vuciitis
Realm: frostmane

AP or AGILITY in sockets

Unread post by vuciitis »

HEY!

I`m kinda new guy in hunter stuff, so i read a lot about whats the best spec / playstyle / gear / sockets etc. so thing is that i have heard that AP is better than agility for BM hunters... MBY some pro bm hunters can spear some they`r experience with me...

ps. if u post somthing pliz explain u`r opinion...

TNX
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Re: AP or AGILITY in sockets

Unread post by Karathyriel »

As far as I know:
1 Agility = 1 Attack Power

As far as I know this is also true:
1 Agility = 2 Armour
besides raising your crit-chance (1 Agility = .01058 Crit%) and your dodge-chance but
1 Attack Power = 0 Armour

Pets Gain:
  • 22% of hunter AP (benefits from both)
  • 45% of hunter Stamina (no benefit)
  • 40% of hunter resistances (no benefit)
  • 45% of hunter armor (benefits from agility)
  • 12.85% of hunter AP as spelldamage (benefits from both)
  • 100% of hunter resilience (no benefit)
  • 100% of hunter hit rating, as hit and expertise – but drop fractions. Thus if you have +5.99% hit your pet gets only 5%. (no benefit)
The only thing I couldn't find out was, if they refer to Ranged Attack Power or Melee Attack Power, but Ranged Attack Power would make more sense, wouldn't it?

So, I go for Agility whenever I can.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Attack power is better for BM hunters, but noone's going to have a king sized wig-out if you put in some agility gems and call it a day.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

vuciitis wrote:if u post somthing pliz explain u`r opinion
Well, Ryno?

WHY would AP be better? I don't see it, because with every AG I gain, I gain an AP too.
Could you please explain, because I'm really curious now.
Azzrazzah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary is the Shizznit,

Unread post by Azzrazzah »

Agil+ gives you AP

I Came...I Saw...I Tamed

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Karathyriel wrote:
vuciitis wrote:if u post somthing pliz explain u`r opinion
Well, Ryno?

WHY would AP be better? I don't see it, because with every AG I gain, I gain an AP too.
Could you please explain, because I'm really curious now.

I'd actually like to hear that too please! I've been told that AP is better for BM hunters since your attack power is translated to your pet too. But the same thing would occur with agility, which also benefits other stats. So how does this work?

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

If I recall correctly, it's because your pet gets a greater percentage of straight attack power than it does gain attack power from its Agility. These days, however, it's really more a matter of personal choice, I think.

As an experiment, I loaded my hunter and his gear into the femaledwarf.com spreadsheet and swapped his gems to AGI gems (as it happens, I prefer to gem for AP normally). With the typical raid buffs I run with, the difference in DPS between my normal AP gems and the experimental AGI gems was tiny. Literally, I do .001 more DPS gemming for AP than I do gemming AGI.

The AP gemming will hurt you more if you happen to lose your pet, because gemming in that fashion means more of your overall damage will come from your pet. AGI gemming means you will be responsible for more of your overall damage and your pet won't hit quite as hard.

(Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, and all other disclaimers, etc...)

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

with the nerf that ArP is getting and it's elimination with Catyclism it is not unreasonable that Blizz will be doing similar things to the othr "bonus" stats, and having a more heavily "hard" stat focus. If I recall correctly there was a discussion on mp/5 being eliminated/nerfed and an increase in the regen bonus from spirit, and spell pen/crit benifiting heavily from Int. With the focus of Catyclism being Azeroth it would make sence for Blizz to make the stats more "old school" so that people don't wiegh thier gear down with 1 specific stat like was done with ArP.
We don't die. We multiply.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Tahlian wrote:If I recall correctly, it's because your pet gets a greater percentage of straight attack power than it does gain attack power from its Agility.
/sagenod

vuciitis
Realm: frostmane

Unread post by vuciitis »

tnx for info... this was a really helpfull stuff...
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

AP used to be better but currently, there is no difference to speak of between the two. What you have to remember though is that Blizzard rates the AP benefit per two units of it, not one. An AP gem gives 32AP, the equivalent AGI gem gives 16. Point for point, agi is much better but it is not done that way. Having said that, the 16 agi gem will give a BM Hunter the same increase in overall dps as the 32 AP one will. As was said earlier in this thread, the distribution of the dps will be different. The AP gem will boost the pet more, the AGI gem will boost the hunter more and the pet less. it makes more sense to me to have the Hunter buffed more.

If you have Excel, download the Hunter DPS spreadsheet from Elitist Jerks and play with it. It's an excellent tool for making gear, gemming, and enchanting decisions. You can also use the online version at femaledwarf.com. Using the spreadsheet, I get 5 more dps by gemming and enchanting for agility but we're talking 5 dps for a Hunter who has a theoretical dps rate of over 10k. It does show however, that AP is no longer better for any of the Hunter specs.
Dragonpuff
Haiku Master
Realm: Duskwood (US)
Location: On an undisclosed island that is being shredded by giant boss fights

Unread post by Dragonpuff »

With regard to AGI and AP, this is what I've seen at most places I looked:
Survival Hunters are best going with AGI.
Marksman Hunters are best going AP.
BM can be either/or, as they get pretty much the same benefits from both. It's more your personnal choice then anything.

Taz'dingu of the Petopians Guild, Nesingwary Server

Here there be Dragons (and Eggs)

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

dragonpuff wrote:With regard to AGI and AP, this is what I've seen at most places I looked:
Survival Hunters are best going with AGI.
Marksman Hunters are best going AP.
BM can be either/or, as they get pretty much the same benefits from both. It's more your personnal choice then anything.
I think that's very wrong for MM. They are much better off with AGI than AP, and depending on how much passive ArP they have, many MM Hunters will gem for that until their passive ArP hits about 650. Then they will go AGI. MM can choose between ArP or Crit but I have never heard of any MM Hunters gemming AP.
Dragonpuff
Haiku Master
Realm: Duskwood (US)
Location: On an undisclosed island that is being shredded by giant boss fights

Unread post by Dragonpuff »

*Shrugs* I don't do number-crunching for myself, so I can't back it up. That's just what I see on most sites I've seen regarding Hunter gemming. ;)

Taz'dingu of the Petopians Guild, Nesingwary Server

Here there be Dragons (and Eggs)

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Okay so here's a different question then. For BM specced hunters, you guys are all suggesting that more or less it's a matter of preference, and where you want more of your damage to come from: you or your pet.

Would you suggest pouring all your gems/enchantments/whatever into one or the other? (Like, ALL AGI or ALL AP). Or would splitting between the two fairly evenly be better?

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

VelkynKarma wrote:Okay so here's a different question then. For BM specced hunters, you guys are all suggesting that more or less it's a matter of preference, and where you want more of your damage to come from: you or your pet.

Would you suggest pouring all your gems/enchantments/whatever into one or the other? (Like, ALL AGI or ALL AP). Or would splitting between the two fairly evenly be better?

~VelkynKarma
If you only have one spec and it's BM, it really doesn't matter much. If you have dual spec then AGI is better for both MM and SV so gemming for that exclusively is the way to go.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Righto. Thank you very much :)

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Charlie
Realm: US Tanaris

Unread post by Charlie »

Personally i say Agility
gives you less AP (epic gems-wise 40 AP or 20 AGIL)
but it gives you armor, crit, and dodge with that AP
for PvE I use the AGIL (which may be bad because I should be stacking AP) to get that extra crit% in
you don't need armor or dodge because you shouldn't be hit at all if everyone does their job right (cept AoE and the like)
though for PvP you should use the Agil gems for sure
you need everything the agility gives you
because in PvP people do smack you
lots

so with me, either way, Agility