[New Pet Family] Class hall mount bonus?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: [New Pet Family] Class hall mount bonus?

Unread post by pop »

Bulletdance wrote:It would be cool if the winged wolf mount appeared as beasts around the hunter lodge and became tameable.
This would make my Tauren so happy.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Guys can we just stop arguing and focus on what's really important here? Really, it was extremely disheartening to wake up today after multiple mental breakdowns due to stress, and being tired from a long day out, to some amazing news followed by half a thread of needless debate.

We're getting a new family! One made with beasts we've been asking about for years. Can we let the debate go and be happy about this? I personally can't wait to get Vare at least a brown hippogriff and am really excited to see what else gets added! And of course I have my notepad ready to write up some shiny new emotes for PetEmote <3

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Varethyn wrote:Guys can we just stop arguing and focus on what's really important here? Really, it was extremely disheartening to wake up today after multiple mental breakdowns due to stress, and being tired from a long day out, to some amazing news followed by half a thread of needless debate.

We're getting a new family! One made with beasts we've been asking about for years. Can we let the debate go and be happy about this? I personally can't wait to get Vare at least a brown hippogriff and am really excited to see what else gets added! And of course I have my notepad ready to write up some shiny new emotes for PetEmote <3
This unfortunately seems to happen in fandoms across the board when there's a lack of concrete information on a subject. :/

I'm with you. I'm curious to see what's in this family before getting too excited either way. I'm also hoping that this family will have a proper ability. (And that hopefully this means pets in general will get another pass to fill in the existing gaps? Please?)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring, Arathor, Moon Guard(US)

Unread post by Zalani »

Oh gosh I've been wanting those three as pets for a long time now, especially Hippogryphs/wyverns.
Noob Hunter me was very disapointed when I ran into those and couldnt tame them the forst time.

Very cool Blizz!
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Varethyn wrote:Guys can we just stop arguing and focus on what's really important here? Really, it was extremely disheartening to wake up today after multiple mental breakdowns due to stress, and being tired from a long day out, to some amazing news followed by half a thread of needless debate.

This. ^^^

And this may be my being hypocritical, but not trying to be or that I'm trying to "fan the flames", which I am not trying to do either but the established lore of a griffin (aka gryphon) is an extremely intelligent and powerful magical creature some even learned to speak, spell cast etc. Hippogriff (aka hippogryph) was said to being a subspecies that started with a male griffin being bred to a female horse in their established lore also being extremely intelligent.
Blizzard took the established lore and created their lore where certain creatures in the world DO have vastly differing types of intelligence. There are beast type dragons and there are aspect dragons. A perfect example of this is the Drakkari Loa God Har'koa. You speak with in her, run quests for her. Her race is technically a uncategorized spirit beast. Her mate Loque'nahak (who is identical to her) is part of her race and tamable.
So why not a tamable beast wyvern, hippogriff, griffin etc??
I just really do not understand the argument on the basis of intelligence as to why something should or should not be tamable when Blizzard has countless times taken the established lore of something and placed their own spin on it. I just don't understand why it's ok for a griffin to be tamable given their established lore and not a wyvern.

Frankly I am ECSTATIC that a wild type griffin will be by my side.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

In regards to your post, Zed, you can't take RL lore and put it in game. Yes, in RL lore all of those things are absolutely true. But in Blizz's lore, they aren't. It would be like comparing Tolkien's Orcs to Blizz's Orcs. Blizz was inspired by the Tolkien Orcs, but the lore of those in WoW is not the same as them. Gryphons and Hippogryphs cannot talk in their lore, but can in RL lore. Blizz lore flat out says that, whilst they are very intelligent, are incapable of speaking.

The Proto Drakes aren't as animalistic as you may think. All of the Aspects were originally Proto Drakes, and they were capable of speaking even then. The Loa/Ancients/Wild Gods, which Har'koa is, are not typical animals. They were created by the Titan within Azeroth. Ursoc and Ursol, the twin bears, are Loa/Ancients/Wild Gods. Whilst they have the form of a bear, they aren't actually bears. Lore in WoW dictates that most Wild Gods can change their shape. Cenarius, for example, chose to be half Kaldorei, half Stag.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Gryphons were my school's mascot. Assuming they don't have a block-everything-with-their-flappy-wings (and maybe even if they do) I'm going to have my goto Legion pet. Windriders may not fit the bird+beast motif of the other "beasts with wings" but after waterstriders, I don't really think that matters that much.

There are raptors and gorillas that converse, I don't think it's a big deal if windriders or hippogriffs or whatever had quest text or flavor lore or whatever.

I know they've only appeared as a mount and minipet, but it'd be awesome if there were a tameable winged lion (maybe not so glowy as the guardian). Perhaps we'll see those on Argus.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Wain wrote:If you include them just because they have wings, you may as well lump every flying family in the same one ~ birds, bats, chimaeras, everything.
I dunno Wain, I've been hoping for that kind of condensation for a long time :P Then again, it's no secret that I'm in the "pet families have served their purpose in the past but seem an unnecessary relic twelve years later" camp and would prefer that the only pet "families" would be "tameable" and "not tameable," and your choice of hunter pet be an exclusively aesthetic one (and any utility they bring not be cat-specific or spirit beast-specific or quilen-specific or whatever but chosen in some other manner). Rylaks sort of drove home my view on that one, to be fair, and the removal (and non-replacement) of so many pet family abilities hasn't helped de-cement that opinion, but whatever.

I definitely want more information on the new family before I get my hopes up, either way haha :x
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
zedxrgal

Valnaaros wrote:In regards to your post, Zed, you can't take RL lore and put it in game. Yes, in RL lore all of those things are absolutely true. But in Blizz's lore, they aren't.
This is my last post in regards to carrying on this .............................. debate. Please reread what I said.
zedxrgal wrote:Blizzard took the established lore and created their lore where certain creatures in the world DO have vastly differing types of intelligence.

When I say that it's meaning the established lore was taken and changed by blizzard to suit their needs /wants for a NPC in the game. Just like Stephenie Meyer took the established lore of vampires and werewolves and changed it to what she wanted in her books for those characters.
Point being there is clearly different levels of intelligence in the beasts in WoW. Blizzard states gryphons are extremely intelligent and the dwarves regard them as equals. The Wildhammer Clan's lore with gryphons suggest that while they may not speak they are allied with the dwarfs. If I remember correctly to even gain rep with that clan you must gain rep with their gryphons. Just because they lack the physical ability to speak (so to speak) doesn't mean they lack the intelligence to comprehend language etc and as such are any less sentient than a wyvern.
But even in the wyverns lore with Blizzard it states due to their ability to speak they were eager allies to the horde. So why wouldn't one be an eager ally to a hunter? Especially if said hunter raised it from the egg the way captive wyverns in WoW are said to be raised?
Again that would be Blizzard changing the lore of a creature to suit what they want and would actually give a really cool way of having a new hunter pet regardless of faction.

Regardless I do not see them making gyphons tamable and not wyverns. While I am ecstatic still for this decision like with so many other things in WoW poor Blizzard is damned if they do damned if they don't. People are going to be upset no matter what.

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I was in Greywatch in Stormheim this morning, and saw again the amusing dialogue involving Gilnean Gryphons.

I wonder what they would look like?
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

[deleted]

I hope to see griffons, wyverns, hippogriffs and sky screamers, possibly falcosaurs, dread ravens, and owlcats (though I personally think that would be slightly creepy, but others want them)
Last edited by Arthur on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I never said that the Gryphons in WoW aren't very intelligent. Indeed, they are extremely intelligent. The lore states that both Hippogryphs and Gryphons are capable of understanding their owners/riders. The Wyverns, obviously, have greater intellect due to them being able to comprehend and speak Orcish and Taurahe. However, as I have said, not every Wyvern has allied with the Horde. Many of them haven't. Those that have are friendly to Horde, thus not tamable due to how Tame Beast works.

Having a Wyvern egg and raising it would be a great way to go about it, but I honestly don't see Blizz doing that for a Hunter Pet.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Please give the intelligence / lore debate a rest, at least on this thread. I believe everything of value was said - at least twice already. Equally important, it relates to a group of creatures that may not even be in the new family yet it's dominated the discussion for the past few pages.

Since I already asked once and it was ignore, any new posts in that regard will be pruned from this thread. Feel free to start a dedicated thread if you want to continue that debate. We've had a bunch of them over the years and they've never been convincing either way.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

GormanGhaste wrote:I was in Greywatch in Stormheim this morning, and saw again the amusing dialogue involving Gilnean Gryphons.

I wonder what they would look like?
I would imagine a Gilnean Gryphon would be a single color, instead of having a white head. Like a greyish black sea-eagle. If they had new models, then perhaps more ruffled feathers. But since that's less likely than using existing models, then an ebon gryphon coloring of the grand gryphon model would be nice.

I doubt it's mentioned anywhere yet, but I imagine that if any horde members had tamed gryphons, it would be Riventusk trolls. I can just see a troll headhunter bursting out of the underbrush while their warpaint-covered gryphon screamed from the top of a nearby carved stone pillar.
And it wouldn't be implausible for a night elf scout to have a windrider. They could have an amazonian feel to them.
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

I agree. If gilnean griffons were made, I think they would have shaggy feathers and fur and perhaps ears, or a tail, like a wolf, and a more ferocious looking sharp beak. I like the idea of monotone colors. I think they would probably be grey, black, brown, and perhaps white. They would probably be larger and more muscular as well. Of course, this is just my idea of what would fit with the gilnean/worgen aesthetic.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I read that and thought:
(The dog breed is called Griffon) :mrgreen:

zedxrgal

Rawr wrote:Image
/caststamebeast
Creature Not Tamable

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I think Gilnean Gryphons would look like...our new hunter mounts! Sure, they don't look much like Gryphons, but I'm not going to argue with the Gilneans about it :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If hippogryphs are part of this new family, and while they haven't been announced it seems likely they would be, then keep an eye out for this new rare in the 7.1.5 database:
Lorthalium <Frayfeather Matriarch>
She's a rare that uses the purple and sparkly "arcane" hippogryph (non-mount) model. "Frayfeather" suggests she'll be in Feralas, but maybe not. There are a few other NPCs in the database that use the arcane model (Regal Cloudwing, Suramar Hippogryph and Unbound Hippogryph), but they were added there in 7.1 but non have been recorded as active by Wowhead. This new rare sounds like she's the most promising :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

She could possibly be tied to that new micro-holiday;

"Hatching of the Hippogryphs (February 19): "Today is the day that the Frayfeather hippogryphs hatch. Head to Frayfeather Highlands in Feralas to witness the spectacle firsthand!"

Will be interesting to see if she's tamable or not... but if she is, having her available on just one day each year will be quite annoying. Hopefully we'll see more using this model.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |