New family : Feathermanes

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

New family : Feathermanes

Unread post by Bendak »

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/831985228914659329

Gryphons, hippogryphs, wyverns, owlcats, wolfhawks!

Also worth noting to get the item that lets you tame them, you need to complete all of the traits in your artifact (the new 7.2 traits), but I assume this does not include the "infinite" traits. It also currently costs 10k order resources for the tome. There's also recolors of the mount that require all traits in the other specs.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: PTR and feathery tames?

Unread post by Rawr »

Woot, I knew they wouldn't give us gryphons and hippogryphs without wyverns, owlcats and wolfhawks are a bonus :lol: :headbang: :D :mrgreen:

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

So excited :D

And I still wonder how the mount recolors will work. So we get the traits for all our artifact weapons... can we still only use that color when we're the designated spec or?

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

I completed the quest chain just moments ago. SPOILERS below.

The chain starts with you receiving an invitation from Odyn, summoning you to take part in his Night of the Hunts. After talking to a Val'kyr at the Lodge, you are ported to a nighly version of the forest area in the Halls of Valor, where multible vrykuls and Odyn have a camp (even Fenryr was invited). Odyn has a speech (with a tankard in hand) how one is chosen to venture into the night and hunt great beasts' spirits. And this being a video game, that one just happens to be you.

You can grab a feast and brew for temporary combat boosts, and then you run around the place, killing four beast spirits (from what I gathered from Odyn's lines and Fenryr's presense, you don't actually kill-kill them, which I found nice). After that, two more spirits appear, Odyn comments on how rare this is and you hunt them too. After that, a giant wolfhawk spirit appears, which according to Odyn has never happened before during the Night of the Hunts. He states that the spirit senses your "predatory prowess and kinship with beasts" and wants to test you. After some saber rattling, spirit starts to shrink and fire green orbs at you. According to Odyn, she found you worthy, bound her spirit to yours and her children now answer your call in the mortal realm. After this, you return to the camp, feast the night away and wake up back at the Lodge, probably with a hangover.

Finally, you find an abandoned sattle at the middle of the Lodge, call your new mount (brown one) to you in a cutscene and mount it with your underlings cheering.

After this, you can purchase green and blue variants from Pan the Kind Hand (stable master) for 10 000 resourses, if you have fully upgraded MM and Surv artifacts (note that 7.2 adds new traits). If you have the BM artifact fully upgraded, you can purchase a book teaching the secrets of taming Feathermanes for the same price. Because upgrading weapons takes a looooooooooooong time (and my PTR characters weapon broke and doesn't accept artifact power gains), I couldn't test the new family.

Overall, I enjoyed the quest chain, even if it was really short, easy and simple. However, I think that gating other colors and (especially) the new family behind weapon leveling gate is [censored], and could be done without.

*Edited the wall of text.
*And typo.
Last edited by Aggannor on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yes!!!!! Oh that's such a relief. :D I couldn't help getting discouraged at the name because I only associate Feathermane with the owlcats, but this is much more exciting!
After this, you can purchase green and blue variants from Pan the Kind Hand (stable master) for 10 000 resourses, if you have fully upgraded MM and Surv artifacts (note that 7.2 adds new traits). If you have the BM artifact fully upgraded, you can purchase a book teaching the secrets of taming Feathermanes for the same price. Because upgrading weapons takes a looooooooooooong time (and my PTR characters weapon broke and doesn't accept artifact power gains), I couldn't test the new family.
Oooh, so the colour variants AREN'T spec locked then, as long as you earned the matching artifact? (as in once you buy the colour you could use it no matter what spec you're playing as) That's wonderful! I hope it's like that for all the classes. :)
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Vephriel wrote:Oooh, so the colour variants AREN'T spec locked then, as long as you earned the matching artifact? (as in once you buy the colour you could use it no matter what spec you're playing as) That's wonderful! I hope it's like that for all the classes. :)
Seems that way. Sadly, apparently some guy ran some calculations that you need to run 1009 (no, that is not a typo) Maws with the new artifact knowledge 40 to max ONE weapon (or 992 if you have 54 traits), which seems bit much for me.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

Aggannor wrote:
Vephriel wrote:Oooh, so the colour variants AREN'T spec locked then, as long as you earned the matching artifact? (as in once you buy the colour you could use it no matter what spec you're playing as) That's wonderful! I hope it's like that for all the classes. :)
Seems that way. Sadly, apparently some guy ran some calculations that you need to run 1009 (no, that is not a typo) Maws with the new artifact knowledge 40 to max ONE weapon (or 992 if you have 54 traits), which seems bit much for me.
I'm pretty sure "all traits" just includes the regular traits, not the 20 extra 1% damage ones which will take months. They also said those AP costs weren't final and should be reduced in a future build.
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Bendak wrote:I'm pretty sure "all traits" just includes the regular traits, not the 20 extra 1% damage ones which will take months. They also said those AP costs weren't final and should be reduced in a future build.
We will see. At the moment the exact wording on the vendor is "Unlock all artifact traits for [artifact name] after empowering it". And in 7.2 you unlock new traits and new ranks to old ones after some kind of empowering ritual after a quest.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

The current trait that increases damage by 1% is going to be removed in 7.2. All power you have spent on it will be refunded, and a few new traits will be added.

Also, they are reducing the amount of AP gained from Maw and increasing it in places like Arcway.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

Valnaaros wrote:The current trait that increases damage by 1% is going to be removed in 7.2. All power you have spent on it will be refunded, and a few new traits will be added.

Also, they are reducing the amount of AP gained from Maw and increasing it in places like Arcway.
Yes, but there will be new damage increasing traits after the new 7.2 ones.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Ah, yes. Thought you were refering to the current one.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Bendak wrote:Black and White gryphons confirmed

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/832000274621362177

Awwww yeah~

CRAP I'm going to have to clean some stable slots.

Though, just to make sure I understand right... you have to purchase the Tome of Hybrid Beasts (to tame the new family), it isn't given to you for earning your class mount? I ask because I thought the new family was supposed to be a reward that tied with the campaign order/new mount stuff, not an additional grind/lock behind AP.

I mean if that's the way it is, ok I'll live with it because the new family is awesome. But I wanted to enjoy the new family while I was earning the new traits and levels, not months later lol

Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Bendak »

Rikaku wrote:

Awwww yeah~

Though, just to make sure I understand right... you have to purchase the Tome of Hybrid Beasts (to tame the new family), it isn't given to you for earning your class mount? I ask because I thought the new family was supposed to be a reward that tied with the campaign order/new mount stuff, not an additional grind/lock behind AP.

I mean if that's the way it is, ok I'll live with it because the new family is awesome. But I wanted to enjoy the new family while I was earning the new traits and levels, not months later lol
Yeah, took a screenshot of the requirement https://twitter.com/BendakWoW/status/831983450596978688

We don't know how long it will take to unlock the base traits yet though.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Bendak wrote:
Rikaku wrote:

Awwww yeah~

Yeah, took a screenshot of the requirement https://twitter.com/BendakWoW/status/831983450596978688

We don't know how long it will take to unlock the base traits yet though.

Ah, thanks!

I presume it'll take a long time to unlock the traits. Even at its fastest, the Artifact system isn't designed to be something max'd out and done quickly. Just like getting 20 ranks at 25 still took some time. I have a feeling we can probably expect about the same pacing. Though, I'll need to save up even more order resources lmao

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: New family : Feathermanes

Unread post by Wain »

I split this topic off from Bendak's post onwards so we can have a thread containing what we really know :)

I've set up a family page but it's still a bit rough:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=feathermane

It has no icon yet (I'll add a placeholder hippogryph one shortly). Also I haven't flagged any of the creatures as tameable so all the looks are hidden and have to be clicked on to reveal.

Wyverns are a bit of a surprise to me as they aren't bird/mammal hybrids like all the others. Not that I don't welcome them but I see them more like one-headed chimaeras (even have the stinger on the tail). Perhaps a new "Windrider" family with them, chimaeras and rylaks would have worked
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Yeah they aren't really feathery at all, so "feather"mane doesn't fit them... But as long as they're tameable I'm not complaining.

That flaming hippogryph would be such a cool rare as well.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, I suspect the Wyverns were mostly added on the basis that Gryphons/Hippogryphs are so heavily associated with Alliance it would seem unbalanced not to have them I suppose?
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

I have waited 12 years for my chance to tame Gryphons, Hippgryphs and Wyverns. YESSSSSSSSSSSS.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I've always seen hippogryphs as neutral since there are so many mounts on both sides, but maybe. I would love to see some more updated wyverns though; a black one & perhaps white. The old ones are well.. pretty bad lol.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |