New family : Feathermanes

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Re: New family : Feathermanes

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Wain wrote:Oops, just added one I missed: the spectral wyvern! Like its gryphon counterpart, maybe it could be added as a spirit beast somewhere :)

http://www.wow-petopia.com/familyallloo ... eathermane
I would probably piddle with excitement and camp FOR DAYS if either the ghost gryphon or wyvern made it into game as a tamable pet.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Tome of Hybrid Beast

Unread post by pop »

This is just a personal issue, but I'm just going to have to prepare myself seeing a horde with a Griffin and an alliance with a Wyvern.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've started adding NPCs to the Feathermanes looks pages. I haven't done owlcats or wyverns yet.

These are preliminary data for known beasts, nothing that could have potentially been added in 7.2. None are checked for tameability yet; nobody I'm aware of can buy the tome. The only ones that I have marked as definitely NOT tameable are ones that are friendly to both factions. If it has a level of 0 it means I haven't checked that yet either.

It's a start though :)

One of particular interest is the old blue hippogryph:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... phblueskin
... there are three known NPCs with this look and two are friendly to Alliance, though it's certainly possible Horde can tame them. We don't know. But that only leaves one that is likely to be tameable by everyone and it's only accessible for people who can summon its owner with the Brazier of Invocation that isn't available anymore. Only players who thought to keep it back in pre-Cata times can summon it. I'm sure they'll probably add another rare, but I thought it could a cool hard-to-get NPC anyway. I'm also pretty sure I have that brazier on my main in the bank somewhere.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Excellent work wain. Like always. ;)

I did not realize there were that many gryphons /wyverns were in game. Kinda cool actually.

My thought /hope is that once learned it will basically turn the beast hostile so the opposing faction can tame. However. My suspicion is that they'll just put in tamable models and leave faction specific ones alone. We'll see. Very exciting.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

pop wrote:This is just a personal issue, but I'm just going to have to prepare myself seeing a horde with a Griffin and an alliance with a Wyvern.
You aren't alone, lol

I mean I'm glad that were getting these guys and that everyone will be able to enjoy them regardless of spec, race, and faction.

But still, part of me twitches at the thought of seeing a Horde Hunter with a pet Gryphon. And I'm sure is mutual for the Horde with Alliance having pet Wyverns, lol
Last edited by Rikaku on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I don't know why; yes gryphons are the signature mount for Alliance due to the dwarves first befriending them. But they are still wild animals. I don't see why a horde hunter couldn't do the same and tame one as well.

Same goes for wyverns... even if they're even more intelligent. Don't see why one couldn't choose to be an alliance hunters companion.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

Lupen202 wrote:I don't know why; yes gryphons are the signature mount for Alliance due to the dwarves first befriending them. But they are still wild animals. I don't see why a horde hunter couldn't do the same and tame one as well.

Same goes for wyverns... even if they're even more intelligent. Don't see why one couldn't choose to be an alliance hunters companion.
For me its not that I think Horde *couldn't* tame a Gryphon, nor that the Wyvern couldn't be tamed by an Alliance. It's got nothing to do with the capacity to tame one really. To me it's just like you said, it's a "signature" animal I associate with with a particular faction, lol

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

Wain wrote:I've started adding NPCs to the Feathermanes looks pages. I haven't done owlcats or wyverns yet.

These are preliminary data for known beasts, nothing that could have potentially been added in 7.2. None are checked for tameability yet; nobody I'm aware of can buy the tome. The only ones that I have marked as definitely NOT tameable are ones that are friendly to both factions. If it has a level of 0 it means I haven't checked that yet either.

It's a start though :)

One of particular interest is the old blue hippogryph:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... phblueskin
... there are three known NPCs with this look and two are friendly to Alliance, though it's certainly possible Horde can tame them. We don't know. But that only leaves one that is likely to be tameable by everyone and it's only accessible for people who can summon its owner with the Brazier of Invocation that isn't available anymore. Only players who thought to keep it back in pre-Cata times can summon it. I'm sure they'll probably add another rare, but I thought it could a cool hard-to-get NPC anyway. I'm also pretty sure I have that brazier on my main in the bank somewhere.

Not sure if this is something you'd want to add, Wain, but I noticed it last night when I was in Nighthold (on Live). Thought I'd mention it since they may become tameable, and since you're working on the database. The NPC objective of this week's "weekly boss" for "The Nighthold: Supply Routes" actually summons a bunch of Hippogryphs during the fight. They were level 112 and were not listed as the NPC's guardians/pets or anything (so maybe once we're all 110+ we can come back for them? lol). But I noticed they used these models:

This one I definitely saw, because it stood out amongst the other 2 it was summoned with.

The other color one I saw summoned was this color.

All summoned Hippogryphs were called "Regal Cloudwing".

The weird thing is, Wowhead has links for 2 Regal Cloudwings, when you view the 3D model one shows the Arcane Hippogryph model, the other shows Blue & Gold. I definitely did not see any summoned Blue and Gold ones, and the screenshot I do have from the fight definitely shows an Arcane Hippogryph and the Green & Red one. So I don't know if the 2nd ID one is a color changer or what. I'll update when I run this with my alts later tonight :)

Quest: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=44936/the- ... ply-routes
NPC: Flightmaster Volnath http://www.wowhead.com/npc=116004/fligh ... jective-of
Regal Cloudwing 1: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=116059/regal-cloudwing
Regal Cloudwing 2: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=116036/regal-cloudwing

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Lupen202 wrote:I don't know why; yes gryphons are the signature mount for Alliance due to the dwarves first befriending them. But they are still wild animals. I don't see why a horde hunter couldn't do the same and tame one as well.

Yeah sure but for me it's the iconism they represent.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I guess it's no different really than lions and wolves though; honestly I associate Lions especially Sambas with alliance even more, since it's literally their icon. :P Will just take some time to get used to.

At least they're just pets not mounts.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Hyperbeast
Realm: Misha

Unread post by Hyperbeast »

The Alliance vs Horde shouldn't tame this debate sounds like a high school rivalry.

Alliance Student: "Ugh! Horde High School students are the worst."
Horde Student: "Alliance Academy Sucks! Horde Rules!"

Now we've graduated though and not really seeing our Warlock and Mage friends anymore. Instead we're working with our fellow Hunters and that includes the other school's Hunters. But that's not so bad. Once everyone gets pass the hatred, an exchange of ideas and culture can be exchanged. We now have Sunwalkers talking to Silver Hand Knights and Priestesses of Elune about religion; Warriors sharing war stories and battle tactics. So is it really that awful a Dwarf and Tauren hunter befriended each other and in one of their conversations they discussed how to raise a Gryphon and Wyvern, and during one of their talks a Night Elf joins them and discusses Hippogryph handling. They then hatch an idea (pun intended) to write a book and sell it. Thus Tome of Hybrid Beast.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Honestly, the whole conflict this expac could've been stopped by dropping a mage with a postit on his forehead or a fireworks spell reading "WE SCREWED. RUN. - XOXO, THE HORDE.' But that's a rant for another day.

I just super want that purple hippogryph now.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

I just hope the Wolfhawks get the quilen treatment and get their skeleton fixed up before 7.2 drops. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the model as is, but with the wyvern skeleton/animations (I swear their ankles get more twisted up and broken with each expansion, it used to not be like that) it just looks so wonky. It makes me think of the old raven/gull models, or the old owl/vulture animations. Doesn't help that all the color choices feel pretty "meh" to me, lots of colors with a certain vibe that they've put on mounts, armor and weapons in the past that just feel off-putting and dull, like the Amani bear remake or the challenge mode armor recolors.

If the models/skeletons aren't changed, I don't think I'll feel too motivated to even try and get the mount.
Last edited by PrimalTazza on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

PrimalTazza wrote:I just hope the Wolfhawks get the quilen treatment and get their skeleton fixed up before 7.2 drops. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the model as is, but with the wyvern skeleton/animations (I swear their ankles get more twisted up and broken with each expansion, it used to not be like that) it just looks so wonky. It makes me think of the old raven/gull models, or the old owl/vulture animations. Doesn't help that all the color choices feel pretty "meh" to me, lots of colors with a certain vibe that they've put on mounts, armor and weapons in the past that just feel off-putting and dull, like the Amani bear remake or the challenge mode armor recolors.

If the models/skeletons aren't changed, I don't think I'll feel too motivated to even try and get the mount.
They don't appeal to me much either. I just find they're a little...unnecessary? There are pre-existing beasts that I think would have been a better fit without needing to create an arbitrary new hybrid animal. I'm still miffed that hunters didn't end up with giant eagles after all of the thematic ties associated with the order hall. There could have been some really gorgeous possibilities for mount skins, especially if they took inspiration from hawks and other birds of prey and gave them some varied feather patterns and colours. Alas. :(
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Vephriel wrote:They don't appeal to me much either. I just find they're a little...unnecessary? There are pre-existing beasts that I think would have been a better fit without needing to create an arbitrary new hybrid animal. I'm still miffed that hunters didn't end up with giant eagles after all of the thematic ties associated with the order hall. There could have been some really gorgeous possibilities for mount skins, especially if they took inspiration from hawks and other birds of prey and gave them some varied feather patterns and colours. Alas. :(
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I KNOW! I was so ready for a giant eagle mount, but then it'd be too similar (I guess?) to rogues and their humungo-ravens that are totally everywhere in-game as pre-established creatures. And you know, we don't even call it a wolf-eagle. It's a straight-up hawk. I'm really disappointed. As much as I love this expansion so far, it almost feels like hunters kinda got some back-burner status going on.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Yeah I would have rather had the giant eagle. That would have made more sense.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Vephriel wrote:I'm still miffed that hunters didn't end up with giant eagles after all of the thematic ties associated with the order hall. There could have been some really gorgeous possibilities for mount skins, especially if they took inspiration from hawks and other birds of prey and gave them some varied feather patterns and colours. Alas. :(
Yeah, I really thought that they were a shoe in, and especially with the reasons you mentioned. I've desperately wanted an eagle mount for so long, and when they added the frostborn quests in Wrath, when you got to ride one in storm peaks, I was frothing! :lol: I was just left assuming it would just be a matter of time, they made so much sense.

I tended to dream about class mounts well before they were a thing, I was always jealous of the Paladins and Warlocks of the world and quietly dreamt about a fitting hunter combination. Always guessed a Hunters bear for ground and Eagle for the air.

I'm not overly disappointed, I guess more shocked I think. I guess eagles would have been a very easy option, and I would not have cared, as Veph said, they could have been spectacular. But as I already assumed they would be the case, the fact that we get something entirely new also left me thinking..... well we'll still get eagles one day right?!? (we freaking have to!) and we might not have ever gotten these Weagles if we got eagles now...

And who knows, maybe they are saving them for the new Wizard Class :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Note: I just moved a number of posts here from the Tome of Hybrid Beast thread that discussed faction rivalry with wyverns vs gryphons, and also some stuff that lapsed into a discussion on giant eagle mounts (I have no idea where that would fit unless I move it to the mounts thread!). Some posts that addressed both topics were split between the two threads (so half the post may now be on one thread and half on the other, depending on relevance).
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've added the known NPCs to the last feathermane groups: Owlcats and Wyverns.

Based solely on existing NPCs, there's no potentially tameable owlcat for the grey-brown colour, which is the colour of Yowlon (non-attackable). But it's quite possible that there'll be new beasts (rares?) to cover some of the missing colours.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've updated the data for some that were missing levels. Is anyone here a regular PvPer that runs Alterac Valley? There's a few old wyverns and gryphons on the list that only spawn in certain conditions in AV. Wowhead doesn't record a level for them and I'm unlikely to be able to check those.

Current status of looks availability based only on old, existing mobs and guessing that they're going to be tameable. This is very rough as we can probably expect a number of changes / additions to cover other looks. Jeremy Feasel suggested this in his tweets about the family.

Wolfhawks: haven't been seen yet (outside the hunter mount quest). So no news there.

Old Gryphons: old brown should be available. White and black haven't been seen. The new model (brown only) hasn't been seen on a suitable NPC. Spectral not found but would probably be better as a spirit beast anyway.

Wyverns: old brown and blue should be available. Green only used on a non-attackable mob. The new model (brown only) hasn't been seen on a suitable NPC. Spectral not found but would probably be better as a spirit beast anyway.

Hippogryphs: old brown, black and pale/lavender should be available. Old blue is on Alliance-friendly mobs only, except for one that can be summoned by an object that hasn't been attainable since Cataclsym. Old purple is on Alliance-friendly mobs only. The fiery and fel looks haven't been seen. The new looks should all be available somewhere, including the arcane purple in the adds of a rare Nighthold world quest boss. The brighter green/orange skin from the RaF mount hasn't been copied over (yet?).

Owlcats: all should be available except for the black one with a brown mane, which to my knowledge only exists on a non-attackable NPC.