Poll: Tamed Featherman Idle Animation

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Do you prefer hovering or standing Feathermane pets?

Hovering
5%
Standing
48%
Mix
48%

Total votes: 42

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Poll: Tamed Featherman Idle Animation

Unread post by Quiv »

After taming a couple of the Feathermanes, I noticed theres a difference in the idle animations for some of the species. Old Hippogryphs, Gryphons, and Wyverns will hover near the hunter in flight animation, while the new Hippogryphs will stand next to the hunter. Not sure about Grand Gryphon/Wyvern yet. Both standing and hovering has its own unique animations, mainly with Hippogryphs that I've noticed.

I suspect this difference is due to missing attack animations, but that could change. Thats not the point though. I am curious how people here prefer their Feathermane?

I prefer standing simply because the hovering is constant movement and theres clipping with wings. Do you prefer Feathermane pets to hover near you or stand? OR do you like that the old hover and new stand, a mix of the two?

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Re: Poll: Tamed Featherman Idle Animation

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Standing. They can start hovering in combat, but when you're just idling the clipping is really annoying. My biggest issue with the Jikun birds as well... though sizing them down a bit would help there.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Standing for me also. I love my fliers but when they're next to me (as said) the wing clipping is VERY annoying. Funny cause I actually think of my characters in real life instances. I LOVE birds (Harpy eagles FTW) but wings of that size make a lot of wind. My flyers MUST have infinite stamina too! I mean. To beat their wings constantly, unless fighting, sitting at idle, must be very tiring.
Sounds dumb but that's the truth. Hence why my 04 toon who has Evalcharr only takes him out to pet him a little, give him some noms and then back in the stable he goes and his Rylak cousin comes out. :?
I understand why their infinite flying but I don't care for it.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I prefer hovering, because things with wings "running on the ground" is just really irritating to me. Clipping doesn't bother me, because I'm used to clipping happening somewhere no matter what (usually my stupid cloak is constantly clipping into my gun, or my NE legs are clipping into my mount, etc.). But I also get why it bothers other people. Like I said, things with wings running on the ground just always looks silly to me. It's why I won't use my dragon mounts until flying is back, it just looks off to me to have this big dragon and they're just like "8D *wiggle wiggle stomp stomp*" as I run through the area. It's also why I won't use Rylaks and have to settle for using The Razza.

So I'm a little sad. Was really looking forward to using Daggerbeak come 7.2, but its doubtful with that animation. But it would be cool if they gave Feathermanes a "trick" ability, like Foxes and Cranes, which let you toggle the flying idle animation or the standing idle animation. That would be perfect!

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I was actually hoping that one of the features of this family (that they could maybe add to rylak as well) was an entirely visual ability to switch from ground to flying animations. I have no idea why they still haven't done that, to be honest. :/
Rikaku wrote: So I'm a little sad. Was really looking forward to using Daggerbeak come 7.2, but its doubtful with that animation. But it would be cool if they gave Feathermanes a "trick" ability, like Foxes and Cranes, which let you toggle the flying idle animation or the standing idle animation. That would be perfect!
Basically like this. It's long overdue.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

Voting for standing as well. I get incredibly annoyed when my flier (and I use Carrion Birds for MS debuff in PvP a lot) keeps on flapping next to me. Before it was negated by the small size of the raven pet, but after remodeling of it all the fliers are huge again. Thok / scorpion for PvP it is :D

I really like the system Guild Wars 2 uses: if you're a rangerwith flying pet like eagle or hawk while standing still, the pet sits on the ground. If you move or attack something, pet flies and pecks / rips / shreds / etc.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Qraljar wrote:
Rikaku wrote: So I'm a little sad. Was really looking forward to using Daggerbeak come 7.2, but its doubtful with that animation. But it would be cool if they gave Feathermanes a "trick" ability, like Foxes and Cranes, which let you toggle the flying idle animation or the standing idle animation. That would be perfect!
I'd be all over this as well.

Though, I'd settle for having them stand when idle and when moving, they fly/hover.

Siggy under construction!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'd love them to use both somehow. I think they look beautiful in flight and even though clipping can be an annoyance at times, I wouldn't want them grounded permanently, it doesn't feel right. :(
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I'd prefer to see a combination of both, standing and hovering animations. I'd even like to see hippogryphs rear up once in a while if it were all possible. Wyverns could chase their tails and Gryphons could preen and fluff their feathers (probably not possible but it'd be super cute).

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

I'd prefer standing really.

Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

A combo, like Gw2, standing if we're not moving and flying to walk/run!
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

Rikaku wrote: it would be cool if they gave Feathermanes a "trick" ability, like Foxes and Cranes, which let you toggle the flying idle animation or the standing idle animation. That would be perfect!
This or bust. RPers (like me) would rejoice. Also quite simple, honestly. (Hippos & wind riders at least have land attack animations, as wind riders use cat skeleton on the ground. Gryphons idk)

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've been giving this some thought lately, since my hippogryph hovers / flies when idle yet resorts to running on the ground when I move fast. It's counterintuitive.

What I'd like to see, for both feathermanes and rylaks (and maybe others?) is animations chosen differently for creatures that are pets/on-follow, compared to how they'd behave as independent NPCs :

- if the character is mounted and moving quickly or running on foot, the NPC uses flight as its run animation. Perhaps with a delay for take off in case the player stops again quickly.
- if the character is walking (slow), the NPC uses walk
- if the character comes to a stop, the NPC should delay a few seconds in hover (in case the character starts moving again) then execute landing and standing animations.

Something like this would hopefully fix that bizarre (at least to me) situation where rylaks lurch along behind you at double speed like a meth addict on crutches :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

Wain wrote:I've been giving this some thought lately, since my hippogryph hovers / flies when idle yet resorts to running on the ground when I move fast. It's counterintuitive.

What I'd like to see, for both feathermanes and rylaks (and maybe others?) is animations chosen differently for creatures that are pets/on-follow, compared to how they'd behave as independent NPCs.
That's exactly how Guild Wars 2 has it & I think this is as perfect solution for Feathermanes as it can be.
Too bad something of the sort, even if implemented to the new family (which I doubt anyway), cannot be retroactively added to old fliers :D
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I want bird of preys, carrion birds, draenor ravager, rylaks and feathermanes have a special aesthetic ability that shifts its stance; either fly or roosting.

That, or they roost when out of combat and fly when in combat/moving.
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

the uh hovering thing tends to get annoying lol so standing for sure
Valka
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: WrA US

Unread post by Valka »

My vote is on standing.

Image Valka - Nagrand (US)

Zyne
Realm: Khaz'goroth

Unread post by Zyne »

Standing, the constant hovering is distracting.....