So with legion being all about demons....

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
DemonSlayer Valzyr
Realm: Dath'Remar

So with legion being all about demons....

Unread post by DemonSlayer Valzyr »

Why hasn't a way for us to tame a specific demon been implemented yet? such as a fel-hound/stalker, void terror or dread/fel steeds
i know warlocks have that niche but with our campaign being the downfall of "Hakaar The HoundMaster" i dont see why we couldn't learn from him about how to tame fel-hounds/stalkers or maybe a kind of legendary quest kinda thing where we go onto the felstalker/hound homeworld and tame a weak one or a young one that can be easily trained wouldn't it be awesome?...just a thought.
~ your local demonic doggo lover ~
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: So with legion being all about demons....

Unread post by Makoes »

probably because Hunters fill the niche of taming <Beasts> and Warlocks fill the niche of controlling <Demons> and if we over stepped each others niches there would be a huge sht storm amongst the player base about it and it's just not worth all the sht that would fly from it.

If you want beasts, play a hunter
If you want Demons, play a warlock.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

DemonSlayer Valzyr

@Makoes BUT I WANT BOTH :( I WANT MY DEMONIC DOGGO
DemonSlayer Valzyr

tbh felstalkers arent actually "demons" in the same sense as the other races since felstalkers lack sentience and are more wild beast than warrior even the wiki says and i quote "Felstalkers are vicious demonic beasts" as well as "Some felstalkers have been broken by the Illidari for use against the Burning Legion"
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

No, Felstalkers do have sentience, actually. In the Illidan novel, the spirit of a Felstalker was able to speak with Vandel. They are just more bestial in nature and appearance. But as Makoes said, Blizz will never allow hunters to tame Felstalkers or any demon. They are the territory of Warlocks. You want to have one, then roll a Lock.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

There's clearly overlap. Core Hounds were originally classed as demons and changed so that we could tame them, and there are plenty of other demon-like beasts that we can tame.

But my guess on why they're conservative about unlocking more beastly demon tames is (i) they're naturally conservative because once you make a change it's very hard to go back and (ii) as mentioned there's overlap with warlocks and they may like to keep some things unique to a class.

The one I think is the most promising candidate is the void hound, which seems to be a dumb beast, is clearly of the core hound extended family and isn't being used by Warlocks. But so far all of them remain demons. :(

I so want to tame one and name her Iris :(

Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Aye, Core Hounds were originally classified as demons (game mechanic), but they aren't actually demons. They are creations of Ragnaros and Cyrukh. If anything, they are Elemental Beasts. To be classified as a demon within the lore, its soul has to return to the Twisting Nether upon being killed and, eventually, their body will reform. Can only permanently kill them if you do so within the Twisting Nether or areas that are heavily drenched in magics of the Nether. Void Hounds fit that, whereas Core Hounds do not.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Valnaaros wrote:No, Felstalkers do have sentience, actually. In the Illidan novel, the spirit of a Felstalker was able to speak with Vandel. They are just more bestial in nature and appearance. But as Makoes said, Blizz will never allow hunters to tame Felstalkers or any demon. They are the territory of Warlocks. You want to have one, then roll a Lock.
No, actually, I've heard more than once that some Warcraft novels can take more of an artist license regarding lore (they are generally canon, but have already had things being adjusted to try and make other things work). I'd be more inclined to believe in the reliability of WOWWikki tbh. Now could a Felstalkers potentially be communicated with, maybe, but I certainly don't see them being any smarter than Silithid, and we can tame those bad boys :)

If they wanted a special demonic tame, they could have easily have one implemented. They did it with the Gara and the Fel wolves, via "Cleansing" as they were aberrations prior.

Insert >Vial of Demonic Cleansing< that can be used on a Felstalker and voila!

Personally, as much as I would love to "TAME IT ALL!!!", as others have mentioned, I think dipping our toes into the warlocks pool of demons might be just too far for their taste. We do have some pretty good options already for demonic puppies though :)

Image Image Image Image

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Wowwiki is actually outdated. Wowpedia is considered the current and best source for Lore. Blizz uses Wowpedia, not wowwiki.

Besides, Blizz has stated that new sources trumps old. If the Illidan novel, which is pretty new, says that it is possible for Felhounds to speak, then it is possible - regardless of what prior material may say.

Besides, there is a difference between something being demonic in nature, and something being an actual demon. Gara and the Fel Wolf (mostly the latter) were corrupt in nature, but not Demons. A Felstalker/Felhound/Felhunter are demons.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

The game is fluid, they could make anything work and the world wouldn't implode. Taming hippogryphs really flips the whole sentient thing on its head, the Blazing Hippogryph text says hippogryphs are intelligent and sentient. We can't just write that off and conveniently dismiss that fact.

I would like the demon spiders though, I just like the model.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Aye, but lore since then has stated that they aren't sentient. It was old lore from the RPGs, which is non-canon until otherwise stated. Besides, flavor text from a mount isn't something to go by. There are various texts from various mounts that either don't make sense, were made solely for humor, or don't align with the lore.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

If it's not "demonic" spiders, it's cloud serpents, if it's not cloud serpents, it's celestial cloud serpents , if it's not celestial cloud serpents, it's felstalkers....

Lore, while fun an interesting to keep up with, actually, means sweet FA. They could could make Felstalkers a new race tomorrow and then what? We have time traveling dragons, blue goats from space.... I means nothing is impossible or set in stone. Also those heavily into lore, thats great, but not everyone is quite so up to date, so be easy on those whom arent so in the know.

also... this is Petopia, not scrolls of lore, so a little chill goes a long way.

P.S. Welcome to the forums DemonSlayer Valzyr, I know these are literally your 1st posts, but normally we aren't quite so feisty :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

There is reasons why those you mentioned aren't and shouldn't be tamable (though the Demonic Spiders could be, depending).

Of course, they can always add something new. But until that something new is added, if it is, the current lore stands.

And, of course, I understand not everyone is up-to-date on the lore, and that is fine. I wasn't getting after anyone, but just sharing what the lore says. If it came across as "feisty", then my apologies. That wasn't my intent, but such is the problem with communicating via text. Don't get the full context.

Indeed, welcome to the forums, Valzyr :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Not to prolong the controversy, but I didn't think the books were necessarily canon. Or at least they could (and have) contradict them whenever it suits them in game terms.

I don't read them, however, so my understanding is limited. The last pulp fantasy I read was probably the Dragonlance series in the 1980s ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

They are considered canon, according to Blizz. They can even overwrite ingame canon. As I said, the most recent canon trumps old canon :)

The books can be overwritten. Chronicles V2, which just came out, and part of V1, made a lot of The Last Guardian (novel) non-canon. Hopefully, though the Chronicles will make the lore more set-in-stone. That is the purpose of them.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

The World of Warcraft Chronicle books I'd say are the most likely books to be cannon.

With Wow like most games I tend to ignore stuff that happens outside of the game.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Alternatively, you can use a pet biscuit on one of those cute fell puppy mini pets :> Or say your Legion Collectors edition mount is a 'pet'.

Siggy under construction!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Or you could go to the Dalaran sewers, get the buff that turns you into a giant, use Narcissa's Mirror on your mini pet, then a pet biscuit, and run around with a gigantic giant :D
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Not getting involved with the canon or demonic debate of Core hounds lol

But honestly I'd be pretty doubtful on Hunters ever getting *specifically* Felstakers or Felhounds. While there is some overlap present and its debatable how 'big of an overlap' it is... honestly a felstalker/felhound is a pretty significant "icon" of Warlocks. The Warlocks main demons (meaning the ones that they've had since Classic specifically) are really just 'staples' of the Warlock look. When you see an Infernal or Felhound in Orgrimmar or Stormwind, you know a Warlock is nearby. And of course, we can debate the lore and consider stories of what may lead to a Hunter owning pets or symbols from another class (ie Ghost Wolves/Karoma), but I just feel if it came down to it, Blizzard's just not gonna hand over a "flagship warlock class fantasy" icon to another class, no matter how much it bumps into our campaign story.

DemonSlayer Valzyr

i just thought it would be cool :/.....................mmmmmmmmm oh! maybe we could cleanse a felstalker? and change it back to a beast more akin to what they were originally every demon race has a non-fel corrupted form right? we did it for that fel wolf in tanaan so why not a felstalker