Nighthold Scorpids

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Jatbirkkal
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moonguard

Nighthold Scorpids

Unread post by Jatbirkkal »

So forgive me if this was already talked about, I didn't see anything on it even though I did some looking. Do we have any idea what's up with these? I noticed they're not listed on the site as existing at all lol, even just as Untameable Models or something.

Essentially they're crystal scorpids like the Amber one, but they're in different shades; red, green, and blue I saw. They're trash mobs in the raid, leading up to the first boss, Skorpyron. I was in LFR so I didn't get the chance to really look them over myself, dunno if they're even listed as Beasts, and was just looking to see if there was any information or speculation on them at all thus far.

So yeah! I don't think they're tameable right now, haven't seen any around whatsoever nor are they listed on Petopia as said above, but I was wondering if it was just that they were classed as something other than Beasts or whatever anyone's thoughts were.

Thanks to Vephriel for this awsome sig

"One day, this Hydra WILL be mine! I hope"- Me, before hydras were tameable.

This lovely Shale Spider used as my Avatar is made by Lupis <3
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: Nighthold Scorpids

Unread post by Makoes »

O.o you're right...I am surprised they aren't there...

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

If I recall correctly the crystal scorpids are a bit finicky with their models, which I think is the reason we can't tame them? Their tails are a separate entity which wouldn't translate well after taming. Even wowhead can't display them properly in the 3D model viewer:

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=103217/cryst ... iewer:10+0

It's a shame because they're beautiful models, but I seem to remember some discussion around that previously.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Great question!

I've been thinking about finding a way to add them to the untameables data, but there are definite issues with the model, as Veph mentioned. They use newer technology and are composed of about half a dozen different models that are somehow assembled by the game and work as a single unit! There's the main body, the stinger, two antennae/feeler things, and also a couple of other crystals. Somehow the game takes all those things and makes them work as a single model, with physics data to tell them how to behave. The new pennants on Vicious mounts work the same way : the flags are separate models and swing independently. Unfortunately Wowmodelviewer doesn't support that right now, nor do the model viewers on Wowhead and MMO-C. For the mounts on WCM I did some creative work to look like they had flags attached, but it's much harder for the scorpids. I'll see if we can get it supported by Wowmodelviewer and get decent screenshots at least.

Anyway, apparently those issues mean they can't be tameable (at least in current design) because it wouldn't spawn the entire model. Or at least that's what I was led to believe back in Beta. Whether it's still true or not I'm unsure.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

aww that's a shame they are so pretty!

Jatbirkkal
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moonguard

Unread post by Jatbirkkal »

Neato. I wanted answers and I got them. While it's unfortunate, it's better than not knowing. I was just curious since I didn't see them there, never really noticed the differences in them compared to the Amber Scorpid (Again, was in LFR at the time so they didn't remain still or alive for long lol.) but upon a closer inspection I do see the differences in the model. Definitely, though, these are my *biggest* desire currently for pets; they're beautiful creepy crawlies and I wantz them.

Thanks to Vephriel for this awsome sig

"One day, this Hydra WILL be mine! I hope"- Me, before hydras were tameable.

This lovely Shale Spider used as my Avatar is made by Lupis <3
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

They are gorgeous. I hope they can get them to work as pets :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I hadn't noticed this, I thought they were just recolors of the amber scorpids with a little glowy outline added. I hope they are fixable, cuz they are purty. Also the new fire scorpid model!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've added their looks :) Click on an image to view the page :

Blue :

Green:

Red:

On the main family page they'll be initially hidden inside a collapsed row, since they're untameable. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

*chinhands and longs for*