Ongoing Search for the Spectral Gryphon

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Re: Ongoing Search for the Spectral Gryphon

Unread post by Golden »

I actually saw what looked like one of those big open-mouthed skulls waaay beyond the fatigue zone yesterday. Or, well.. More like an implied shadow of one. Attempts to Eagle Eye to it proved unfruitful, as it just wouldn't go past the edge of fatigue no matter what I tried. :/ I think it was to the North or Northeast of Highmountain, but I'm not 100% on that.. Will have to go back to be sure.
Amyliz
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Amyliz »

After reading through the possible hints I have gathered a bunch of strong alcohol and stared checking areas I checked already while flying around drunk! "Spirit" beast...we'll see!
Shepard
Realm: Die Aldor

Unread post by Shepard »

I just checked the North of Highmountain by flying there with the emerald wind toy and my goblin glider.
All i found was a invisible Wall not far of the coast you could stand on and a sheer drop underwater before the fatique got me.
I did not find any Isles there and with the Wall so close to the beach i dont think that this is the way to go,
but it was well worth checking.

Im still wondering about the Name of the NPC, "Lost Spectral Gryphon" could indicate that someone is missing it...But who? Besides a big part of the hunter community i mean...
Nelius
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Nelius »

I'm currently exploring Wildhammer stronghold in Shadowmoon Valley with http://www.wowhead.com/item=30719/spectrecles

It just seems like a perfect fit. Wildhammer Clan stronghold, gryphons flying everywhere, Helm of Second Sight for the class quest/Spectacles from there let you see hidden ghosts.

Just flying around with them on now. Going to try looking when dead after to see if that does something (if they somehow made it so you can tame just this one while dead). just throwing ideas around. May be worth flying around in the WoTLK that put you on a specteral gryphon for your rez run back when you die. Maybe it could be a lead.

I think its very possible that this gryphon is not even in legion zones. It's an old model, plus the spirit fox was not in legion zones either. sorry for bad English btw.
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Golden »

The Gryphon might also be related to the quest Lost Souls apparently offered by Anduin Wrynn at the Broken Shore at some point. That would mean that it might not be findable until said quest comes around.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Nelius wrote:I think its very possible that this gryphon is not even in legion zones. It's an old model, plus the spirit fox was not in legion zones either. sorry for bad English btw.
This is my particular feeling. I figured it would be in some old zone. I figure the same for the spirit beast raptor as well (assuming its in).
Amyliz
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Amyliz »

I tried checking the towers in Western Plaguelands and Hinterlands and Twilight Highlands while drunk on my toon...no luck.
Checked the airstrip above Ironforge.
I even tried the small strips of land over Vashj'ir as those are definitely "at sea"
Nothin' so far "Hic"
-Flew over Theramore before and after the destruction
-checked the Battlescar area of the southern Barrens
-the Wrathgate area in Dragonblight
-under Naxx and the Forgotten Shore in Dragonblight
-Tol Barad

I forgot how tough it is to fly while your toon is drunk! LOL

-Eye of Azshara circled the whole island while drunk..did find the wolfhawks--they're really cool in person! Can't wait to tame
Last edited by Amyliz on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shepard
Realm: Die Aldor

Unread post by Shepard »

Areas i checked so far:

- Stormgarde
- Dwarfish farms south of menethil harbor
- Destroyed dwarfen villages in the twilight higlands
- Another dwarfish farm north of the twilight highlands
- the area around karazahn
- The shore south of naxxramas
- Northern Highmountain
- flew over the hinterlands (like everyone else)
- Tirisfal, Silverpine and the Plaguelands (not thoroughly)
- Nethergarde Keep
- Tol Barad
- Gilneas Graveyard
- Ruins of Alterac
- the whole starting area for the Deathknights

I did not use any alcohole or fancy glasses tho :oops:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Hmmm. How many zones have spectral mounts you can use while dead? Maybe you need to be flying around dead as part of the initial interaction.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Golden »

I believe all of Northrend has spectral mounts while dead? Although not if you're a Night Elf, because then you're just a hovering head. >_>

But that sounds like a good idea, Wain. I think I'll go spend some time in the spirit realm now. XD Am I right in remembering that if you put all your gear in the bank, they don't take durability damage?
Amyliz
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Amyliz »

Wowwiki says when you die in these areas you get a spectral gryphon to ride:
Crystalsong Forest
Wyrmrest Temple area
Storm Peaks
Icecrown
Amyliz
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Amyliz »

Tried being a ghost at Wyrmrest Temple and even traveled to the Forgotten Shore as a ghost..nothing there to interact with
Tried Onslaught Harbor..forgot about that place..checked it out alive and dead and alive and drunk lol
Hrothgar's Landing and the Shadow Vault area
Crusader's point and Argent Vanguard area
Died on the mountain above Ironforge trying to check the airfield up there...can't reach my body! Doh!
Checked the towers and Lights Hope Chapel and the Ruins of the Scarlet Enclave as a ghost
Nelius
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Nelius »

Val'Sharah is only Legion zone that uses an updated Ghost Gryphon model for some FPs. Maybe one of them got "lost"? Gonna focus search here for a while

If the hint of water is accurate than I feel like they would also have it in a legion zone (with the massively upgraded ocean). So maybe what I initially suspected was wrong, and it is a legion zone.
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Golden »

I went to also check the voidrealm that you eventually tame Gara in, since the back-up Gara is called Lost Netherwolf.

Killing the Void Lords and Voidcallers, Xan, and the Netherwolf did nothing out of the ordinary, so looks like this one is a no-go as well.

As a funny sidenote, apparently my tooltips think the Wisptail Hares in the area are spiders. XD
Last edited by Golden on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Hey, if you guys want a chat to use, we recently created a channel dedicated solely to hunter pets in our secret finders discord. :)

https://discord.gg/6vhyv8K

We also are trying to find the Riddler's worm right now, if anyones interested in that as well.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Nelius wrote: If the hint of water is accurate than I feel like they would also have it in a legion zone (with the massively upgraded ocean). So maybe what I initially suspected was wrong, and it is a legion zone.
Again, considering the discussion that it was in, I'm almost positive the hint of water is for the worm. Not the gryphon. I *could* be wrong on that, but the train of conversation leads me to think that.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I agree, Kurasu.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm not a regular player, so pardon my ignorance, but is it possible it's unlocked via a quest item given at the mission table? Could they or would they do that? I only thought of that because isn't that how you obtain the fox mount? Is there a chance they're extending this mechanic to pets as well?

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Both the Class Mount and the means to tame Feathermanes won't be available for 11 weeks. Once you get the mount, you then have to complete the BM artifact in order to buy the tome that allows you to tame Feathermanes.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

However, the spectral gryphon isn't a feathermane. It's a Spirit Beast.

Not sure whether it won't be available until we're able to tame other Feathermanes, or whether it *is* available, but just hiding, but it's a completely different race.

That said, I still suspect we may have to wait on it; being able to tame a spirit gryphon before we can tame normal gryphons might be excessive. I suspect that it's somewhere you need flying to get to. Just a guess.
Come see Kurasu's stables!