Ongoing Search for the Spectral Gryphon

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Re: Ongoing Search for the Spectral Gryphon

Unread post by Kurasu »

soukyugurentai wrote:Interesting. Someone just uploaded a video of a scaled gryphon (Snowblind) in Winterspring. Maybe you guys knew about it but I didn't.
Yep. We discovered that one long ago, as well as his black counterpart. They're in the 'Feathermanes' thread. :)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

The reason it says it's 'Not In Game' is because this NPC is a 'reused' old model. If you take a look at the NPC ID, it's *ancient*. Made back in BC.

ID: 16874
ID of Jetwing: 16872
ID of the thing in between them: 16873 (Bleeding Hollow Dark Shaman)
ID of an example of the a newew model at random (Meowl): 90901
soukyugurentai
Realm: US-BlizzardPrison

Unread post by soukyugurentai »

But consider how its spawned. It's not just wandering around -- you actually have to spawn it by clicking something. Maybe the raptor and spectral gryphon are the same way?
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

soukyugurentai wrote:But consider how its spawned. It's not just wandering around -- you actually have to spawn it by clicking something. Maybe the raptor and spectral gryphon are the same way?
I think thats the prevailing theory with the 2 spirit beasts and the fel hippogryph at the moment: spawned by something. Assuming Gon and Lalathin are in the game that is. I just hope none are like Gara. It took quite a few detectives on WoD beta and these forums to piece that together.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

soukyugurentai wrote:Isn't there a way to datamine the files and find out where the pet is? I think I'm gonna give up searching.
Unfortunately (for us), location data is sent during the game connection, which is why if you disconnect but stay on long enough to cross to a different area, it's devoid of NPCs. If all that was in the game files they could probably hack WoW to work offline.

Wowhead only gets location data by people uploading data using their add-on, which is why so many new beasts have a location of "unknown" until the data rolls in. Re-used NPC IDs are another matter. I've experienced a number of those over the years and Wowhead are usually really slow to re-activate them and add new names and locations unless you submit a report on the page. It seems that once an ID is flagged as removed they tend to ignore any new data from it until someone manually changes it back.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
craggs
Realm: Outland

Unread post by craggs »

Been a few mentions of old and new Theramore in this thread, so i took a look in the Theramore Scenario.. Looked around before I started and afterwards, nothing obvious either way :(
mpd_84
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by mpd_84 »

Kinda wondering if one of them only spawns during a new world quest that we haven't seen yet...
SetsunaChan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by SetsunaChan »

Apologies if I'm repeating an area that's already been checked, but has anyone tried the forgotten shore in DragonBlight? I know some of the ghost NPCS ride the spectral/ghostly Griffon.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Aye. Myself and others have checked multiple times :(
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

I think the chances are much higher that the gryphon is definitely a 'spawnable' creature:

Spectral Feather

I can't claim credit for finding that in Wowhead; it came up last night on Discord during a hunt for the Riddler's Mind Worm. It was discovered by someone Discord name 'Novadragon'.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Kurasu wrote:I think the chances are much higher that the gryphon is definitely a 'spawnable' creature:

Spectral Feather

I can't claim credit for finding that in Wowhead; it came up last night on Discord during a hunt for the Riddler's Mind Worm. It was discovered by someone Discord name 'Novadragon'.
I think (I hope!) this is the best lead we've had on this yet. I just hope its not part of some other 7.2 content quest or something, lots of stuff was added.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quiv wrote:
Kurasu wrote:I think the chances are much higher that the gryphon is definitely a 'spawnable' creature:

Spectral Feather

I think (I hope!) this is the best lead we've had on this yet. I just hope its not part of some other 7.2 content quest or something, lots of stuff was added.
Agreed, that really does have promise. If it's true then the feather would probably look something like the photo on this one:
http://www.wowhead.com/object=211451/ce ... -the-crane
craggs
Realm: Outland

Unread post by craggs »

Its probably not related unfortunately.
Its for one of the micro holidays.

Will be related to this item added at the same time, with same name:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=142259/spectral-feather
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

craggs wrote:Its probably not related unfortunately.
Its for one of the micro holidays.

Will be related to this item added at the same time, with same name:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=142259/spectral-feather
Hmm, you could be right. Though the one Kurasu linked is an object (as opposed to item you can hold), and it was added quite a few builds later, and I don't think it was used for the holiday - the feather you get is looted directly from the boss. So it's still entirely possible they added this object for another reason, but who knows for sure? :/
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Wouldn't Wowhead have updated the spectral feather object had someone with the Wowhead addon interacted with it during the event? I know Perculia and her crew covered those events well, I imagine if the object was available, it would have been recorded. Who knows.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

The feather you get is looted directly from the boss, yes. This one was added specifically during 7.2. It's possible that they're the same thing, but I don't think so; one is listed specifically as a 'Quest' (the same way Kosumuth and the riddle pages are).

It's why I feel that there's more likelihood for it to be related to this than the holiday, honestly. I thought about the holiday, but having *done* the holiday, unless there have been changes to it, this is something completely different/separate.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It is also possible that this version of the Spectral Feather was the original idea before they went with it being dropped.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Hmm. That's possible as well. Unfortunately. :/ I have hopes for it, though. I would have assumed that people would have reported the 'original feather' on the PTR, though. I dunno.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

What I mean is, it was something implemented into the ptr database (before the dropped feather), but never actually put it into the game. So an idea never made manifest.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Again, quite possible, though it was added somewhat later it could still represent a dead-end concept for the holiday mechanics.