Fenryr can be tamed!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Fenryr can be tamed!

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Rhyela wrote:It sounds like this is really only possible as BM? Kinda sucks since I've hardly touched Titanstrike. Well, not that it really matters since my ilvl is only 802. :lol: Grats to everyone who's gotten him! Sure is a neat wolf. IMO he's more interesting than most of the transparent spirit beasts.
He's a wolf, not a SB, so I would have to think that any hunter can obtain him. Your ilvl is the main hurdle ;) but assuming he remains available after this xpac (and no reason to think he wouldn't be) you could just go and get him then.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I have a friend who plays MM who picked him up, so it is definitely doable in other specs; I think the reason most of the people here are talking about BM stuff is because... well, Petopia, and BM and SV are the only full-time pet specs left (and BM's emphasis is way more on pets in general).

That said, he's like 903-905 ilvl, and a pretty decent player from what I can recall, and he said it took him six hours of attempts so mileage may vary a bit, lol
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
jmaster299

Unread post by jmaster299 »

Valka wrote:My Fenryr Hati is very small too.
Mind if I ask how you tamed him? 100% legit or not? And did you at any time use the Glyph of Lesser Proportion? I'm just trying to determine any common thing players with the mini Fenryr's may have done that those of us with normal sized ones didn't do. Other people I've spoken to on various forums who have the mini Fenryr have done one of those two things, not tamed him legit solo or used the glyph at some point.

As you can see from my picture, with Hati set as Fenryr, he's the same size as any other Wolf pet. I am tamed him 100% solo and have never once used the glyph.

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Thank you pbcup; it came out wrong but I meant that, as a wolf, he's more appealing than most spirit beasts. Spirit beasts are supposed to be the coolest, but I like Fenryr better. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

Late to the party on this front, too, haha.

Finally managed to down Fenryr with my crappy 880 ilvl with no DPS Legendaries and only Titanstrike level 35 (basic traits + 10% dmg/stamina).
For the love of me, I could not have my pet tank him and not die, even pulling the adds to me to kite them. And so I didn't tank him. For those with Prydaz bubble neck and lucky owners of 10% running speed bonus Sephuz kite should be very easy. Sadly, I didn't know that leaving the instance (to change talents, etc.) would result in tameable Fenryr not spawning, so will have to repeat it next week :D

If there are still people here struggling with Hymdal and the bad puppy, I'd be happy to share tips on how to make the fights simpler :)
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

That's impressive! Sorry about him not spawning, but it's great to hear you don't need a specific setup to do it. Good luck next week!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
muajin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: argent dawn

Unread post by muajin »

a few guys in lfr were pissed. said their Fen still wont get changed back. (i do feel sorry for the ppl that tamed him and had his model nerfed by mistake)
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

muajin wrote:a few guys in lfr were pissed. said their Fen still wont get changed back. (i do feel sorry for the ppl that tamed him and had his model nerfed by mistake)
Are you sure you dont mean the puppy? I don't think any Fens were changed.

Siggy under construction!

somnomania
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by somnomania »

Shelassa wrote:Late to the party on this front, too, haha.

Finally managed to down Fenryr with my crappy 880 ilvl with no DPS Legendaries and only Titanstrike level 35 (basic traits + 10% dmg/stamina).
For the love of me, I could not have my pet tank him and not die, even pulling the adds to me to kite them. And so I didn't tank him. For those with Prydaz bubble neck and lucky owners of 10% running speed bonus Sephuz kite should be very easy. Sadly, I didn't know that leaving the instance (to change talents, etc.) would result in tameable Fenryr not spawning, so will have to repeat it next week :D

If there are still people here struggling with Hymdal and the bad puppy, I'd be happy to share tips on how to make the fights simpler :)
I'd love some tips. I'm finally at 883 ilvl and the furthest I've gotten is Hymdall down to about 65%. x_x
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Ooof, a wall of text incoming! :D

Important: Don't leave the instance. For tameable Fenryr to spawn, bosses need to be killed in one run through the dungeon. Learned that the hard way.

Hymdall: I went Dire Stable - Dire Frenzy - Posthaste - Bestial Fury - Binding Shot (not needed here) - Murder of Crows - Killer Cobra. Pet: Tenacity-specced turtle. Flask, mastery food, pre-pot & drums at the beginning.

Here it boils down to 2 types of problem: a) Pet dies b) Hunter dies to dragons. Keep up Mend Pet at all times, use Misdirection on CD for damage reduction. If the pet dies, Revive & Feign Death. If Hymdall is too close, Aspect of the Turtle, Revive & Feign. If no matter what you just can not keep the pet up, use Aspect of the Beast talent instead of Killer Cobra. You will just wear him down over time.

Dragons: there is an easy way to deal with dragons. See which dragon will fly first (they will be closest to platform where you are fighting). Stand by that line, the moment lightning starts lifting off from the ground, run to that line. That way you do not have to worry about two other dragons, just the whirlwinds to evade.

Fenryr: First phase is tank & spank. Blow all your cooldowns, pre-pots, drums and burn him down. Second phase is trickier. I could not keep my pet alive with my ilvl no matter what. Even if I aggroed the adds to myself to kite / Binding Shot / Tar Trap them around. Then Fenryr did a quick work of me. I decided not to tank him and kited him around the lake. For that, you have to first clear out all hostile mobs that you might run into during your jog.

I went with Dire Stable - Dire Frenzy - Posthaste - Blink Strikes - Binding Shot - Murder of Crows and Aspect of the Beast, for maximum pet damage on the run. For the pet, I specced my trusty Turtle from Hymdall into Ferocity, for the sake of deeps.

The start of the fight: Stand at the maximum distance from him that your abilities allow. Flask, food, rune, pre-pot, drums. Misdirect @turtle and go all out at him with all cooldowns. The turtle will die in about 15 to 20 seconds and the boss will switch to you.

Use Heart of the Phoenix to instantly resurrect the turtle while running from Fenryr. When he howls, use it to put some distance between you. Drop Tar Traps and Binding shots behind you to slow adds, but otherwise, ignore them and focus on Fenryr.

When he leaps, if you use Disengage when he's already in the air or put enough distance between you by running in straight line, he will miss and not apply the bleed. Only use Disengage for the Leaps, or he will kill you either with bleeds or with catching up. Save the Aspect of the Turtle and Cheetah for those "Oh shit" moments :D

The Scent of Blood speed boost will help you stay at a healthy distance from the adds. Keep track of them and Fenryr from the corner of your eye, they tend to swim across the lake to cut corners.

If the pet dies (and it will due to aggroing the adds and sometimes over-taunting Fenryr), Revive Pet keep running. Feign Death after Revive Pet if adds and Fenryr are too close, it will give your just enough time to flee while the wolves will maul your pet :D

Hope it helps :)

You can watch the Fenryr kill video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVN8AGarmhM
Last edited by Shelassa on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
somnomania
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by somnomania »

Well, the Hymdall strat worked beautifully once I got more in tune with where I needed to be and that staying mobile was important. I think it took me fffour tries on him? And then trash in Fenryr's area was fine, the first part of his fight was a little iffy but I did it in one, and then nothing else worked for me. I had to have a guildie grab me another flask and some more potions and mail them to me so I didn't have to leave the instance, but I still couldn't get him down in the second part. According to DBM the furthest down I've gotten him in six wipes is 36%, and I got further with my turtle in tenacity than with it in ferocity, sadly. It seems that's the point where there are too many adds to survive + HotP is on cooldown and/or everything is too close to be able to survive a revive pet + my reflexes just aren't fast enough to hit the right things. I'm about to give it one more go after things are off cooldown, and then my flask will have run out anyway, and I guess I'll have to try and bump my ilvl a little more this week so I can try again. ;o;
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

I got hymdall in 2 goes but closest I've gotten Fenryr is 30%. I'm ilvl 895 using Roar and Mask legendaries, flasked, fooded and drums. Use turtle pet in tank spec.... just can't seem to survive 3rd wave of adds.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Since my last attempts last week, I gained few ilvls ending at ilvl 887 with 2 legendaries equipped (Prydaz and Roots of Shaladrassil), with Titanstrike level 38. Stats: 34% crit, 6% Haste (lol) and 85% Mastery.

Build was the same as last time: Dire Stable, Dire Frenzy, Posthaste, Blink Strikes, Binding Shot, A Murder of Crows and Aspect of the Beast. Pet specced into Ferocity for extra DPS.

I goofed and killed Fenryr without turning recording on and had to return back with a guildie to reset the dungeon. In the end, I kited Fenryr with Fenryr (and no drums, because I wasted them on trash xD). You can watch the video here.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

Thanks for the video. I'll definitely be trying the kiting method this week lol
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Valka wrote:My Fenryr Hati is very small too.

This happens to my Fenryr-Hati every time after I use Bestial Wrath and persists until I teleport / Dismiss Pet / etc. :D
The same glitch happens with Thundermaw (Skoll-lookalike) from Pandaria, although not every single time.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Ooooh kiting around the lake, how interesting. Gonna try this!
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

For the kiting strat, how did you guys deal with Fenryr teleporting you to him? If it wasn't for that, I could get it, but he teleports me to him and its over.

Edit: For example, once I had him to 15%, he was on the bridge, he teleported me to him. I had cheetah up so I ran, but just as I got off the bridge, teleport again. By that time, I was dead. Would love to know how you guys got around this. Its the normal "teleport to boss" mechanic, but it is a deal breaker with the kite strat.

Edit 2: Well after about 4 hours of more teleport and random resets than I care to remember, this hecking pupper is mine. Sheesh.

I didn't have Sephuz, so the kite is possible without it. I use healing pants (useless lol) and the wrists that lowered the CD on aspects.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

Awesome that gives me hope with the kiting strat because I have selphuz which should help
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Quiv wrote:For the kiting strat, how did you guys deal with Fenryr teleporting you to him? If it wasn't for that, I could get it, but he teleports me to him and its over.

Edit: For example, once I had him to 15%, he was on the bridge, he teleported me to him. I had cheetah up so I ran, but just as I got off the bridge, teleport again. By that time, I was dead. Would love to know how you guys got around this. Its the normal "teleport to boss" mechanic, but it is a deal breaker with the kite strat.
Congratulations on taming the bad pupper!
Tbh, I'm not quite sure what's up with the teleporting. It happened quite often to me previous week during my first attempts, and I can't tell what caused that. The most obvious answer would be the distance between the hunter and the pupper - I usually tried to stay within the Kill Command-giving range, although multiple times I had lake between us.
Xylexia wrote:Awesome that gives me hope with the kiting strat because I have selphuz which should help
Best of luck! Sephuz should help greatly. I'd say any combination of Sephuz, Prydaz and Call of the Wilds is best here :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

With the teleporting, I did notice if Fenryr tried to use leap, it would sometimes cause it. It was like he would sometimes get "hung" on part of the bridge or on the side of the lake. It has to do with pathing and boss positioning. Just takes a big dose of luck I guess.