The Hunt for the Fel Hippogryph (Lalathin) Edit: Found in NH

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: The Hunt for the Fel Hippogryph (Lalathin)

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Yes, which is what I said. Lalathin was a normal Hippogryph at one point in time and became corrupted fairly recently, but she could not have been Elisande's pet for a long time due to the fact that Hippogryphs do not live even remotely close to ten-thousand years. And even if it did, the location where it is most likely at wouldn't change.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Lalathin's fel corruption would definitely be a "new thing". Remember, Elisande actually was against the Demons and Queen Azshara back before Suramar was shielded off. She only joined the Legion at the beginning of this expansion. So regardless of how long or old her Hippogryph is or how long she's owned it, its very unlikely she would've had a fel-infested pet prior to the Burning Legion's return and her agreement to work with them this time.

Though how "old" her hippogryph is a bit skewed. Keep inmind, Elisande's magic, combined with the Eye of Aman'thul has some serious time-magic strength. So if she really wanted, I'm sure she could keep her pet alive if she really wanted to XD (of course, this is all just speculation. Food for thought/fun to discuss? lol)

Though, I felt if Lalathin is in-game it would definitely be in Suramar or the Broken Shore. While its true, the Nightborne did not want to (nor could) leave the shielded city, the shield is technically "down" by the time of the launching of the expansion as we see in Thalyssra's first cinematic. Plus, it's clear the Nightborne are not afraid to leave the city when necessary; many of the Suramar quests showed citizens knowing old routes under the city, escaping around tunnels. Also, many of the fel-empowered Nightborne/Felborne can be seen clearly outside Suramar city itself and in the Broken Shore.

So I do think the Hippogryph is definitely in Broken Isles somewhere, I feel it's either Suramar or Broken Shore itself.

Alina wrote:I've heard rumors from players that have encountered a strange cloud in Suramar lately, both from independant sources that didn't know each other. The first was of someone who flew through a cloud hearing the squawk of a hippogryph. The second one went a little further and said it was a thundercloud attacking them, following them down from the air. Both were from 110 hunters. Tokoro (the person I heard second-hand about this rumor from) then questioned them further and said they were outside the Menagerie in Suramar.

I've been keeping an eye out for strange looking clouds since. This may just be a cold trail, leading to nothing but it's better than nothing. I also tend to think where there is smoke, there is fire.
That's really interesting. I searched the Menagerie pretty consistently and never saw anything like that, but that sounds really neat to see (even if it isnt a clue)!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I love the theories and discussion surrounding the lore of this hippogryph, but it's also good to keep in mind that sometimes a creature is just added for the sake of being a cool hunter pet, and the devs may not be putting quite that much thought behind it! :) (though it would be awesome if they did)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I've searched around the Menagerie, as well as Suramar and the other zones today. No sign of a cloud. Seeing as we only have second-hand info regarding a strange looking cloud, it is possible that it may not be an actual thing.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Vephriel wrote:I love the theories and discussion surrounding the lore of this hippogryph, but it's also good to keep in mind that sometimes a creature is just added for the sake of being a cool hunter pet, and the devs may not be putting quite that much thought behind it! :) (though it would be awesome if they did)
I totally figure that as well, I just (personally) enjoy a good lore-nerd discussion. So when it shows up I can't resist XD

It'll be a bit of a shame though if we find it this soon. I mean, I hope we do find Lalathin soon, but it's also going to suck to wait the rest of the weeks for the campaign to finish to even meet the req. for the tome to tame it if we do XD

In regards to the cloud, I'm not seeing anything either. However, when I flew over a different part of Suramar city (fairly close by), there's an area where the guardian/arcane machines are fighting the nightborne and other rebels. There's a lightning attack they do that, at a quick glance/hearing, does actually sound like a hippogryph when it aggros. Now I can't explain the "cloud attacking" part, but the sounds make me think perhaps that's what the source was.

Alina
Realm: MoonGuard-(H)

Unread post by Alina »

Valnaaros wrote:I've searched around the Menagerie, as well as Suramar and the other zones today. No sign of a cloud. Seeing as we only have second-hand info regarding a strange looking cloud, it is possible that it may not be an actual thing.
I'm crossing my fingers for this - I really don't like the idea of a pet having a limited spawn timer where it may disappear or have an extremely long patrolling path. It would be the pet hunt to end all pet hunts.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I was doing the world quest where you follow the nightborne spy and about halfway through (when he stops to talk to the vintner) I heard a bird-like noise I'd never heard in Suramar. It was higher pitched than my RAF hippogryph, I heard it twice, but I didn't see a cloud. Nothing came up on beast/hidden tracking (aside from the Tamed Manasabers/Owls in the area), and I didn't see anything clickable or out of place.

it may have been absolutely nothing, completely unrelated (and given how many people play without game sounds it'd be weird for a pet to have a purely audio cue), but hey... while we're grasping at straws, y'know? :P
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

Finally have flying so hoping I can contribute to this hunt!
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

You know it could be similar to how the feral Druids get their hidden artifact skin. They have to hear a certain noise and possibly see an emote that points them into a specific direction for them to click something. Once you click a certain number of whatever it is maybe it spawns...
muajin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: argent dawn

Unread post by muajin »

ok...so 1. the pet is tameable now eh? 2. we need the tome to TAME him, but is gated until June. so...that means 3. No way to tame this pet until June at least. *we need weapon lvl 52...i am currently 37* :(
Valka
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: WrA US

Unread post by Valka »

muajin wrote:ok...so 1. the pet is tameable now eh? 2. we need the tome to TAME him, but is gated until June. so...that means 3. No way to tame this pet until June at least. *we need weapon lvl 52...i am currently 37* :(
We have no proof that it is tamable now, it may have a prerequisite for all we know. The only confirmation that is even in game is a tweet from Muffins. Yes we will need the tome as a minimum to tame him, but most people who main BM will already have all points unlocked or be close to it. I've only been playing WoW again since Febuary and am only 1 point off unlocking all the points (this includes the new ones)

Image Valka - Nagrand (US)

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It isn't just unlocking the traits, but also filling them all up, which is why it will take quite a while.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Yeah this thread isn't about taming it right now. We have plenty of Feathermanes we have to wait on, and this one would be no different. This is all about figuring where it is so that when we start reaching the point of being able to tame Feathermanes, we can grab this one too.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Assuming we can find it right now. It is possible that we need to tome in order to spawn Lalathin.
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

Valnaaros wrote:Assuming we can find it right now. It is possible that we need to tome in order to spawn Lalathin.
Well, perhaps not. You can spawn other feathermanes without the tome, like the wyvern you spawn by killing a bunch of little ones. I'd have to check, but I think even non-hunters can spawn it? I dread thinking of getting the tome first, as I MS SV...

Ugh, I'm leveling surv first. Almost to 47. I hate how I have to get BM to 52 for feathermanes, I've wanted a wind rider for a good decade, if not a bit longer.

Alas. Need to carry more M+. :(

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Perhaps not, but it is a possibility.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

Didn't muffinus say something about pools of purified water? Or maybe I read that somewhere in regards to the mind worm..

in the outdoor version of nighthold there's a balcony with two pools of purified water, with stairs leading up to a nightborn statue with an unreadable and unclickable placard....
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I'm only at 43 and I've put nearly nothing into any other weapon, so like... I dunno. I hope we can discover her before the tome, because then the people after her will be a steady stream, and not a giant rush the way Gon and the gryphon are. The first day (week?) when the tome's available will be the worst, but even that will be a significantly smaller rush because it will only be people who are already working on the "infinite" trait (and the subset who actually care)

Meanwhile, if we can't discover it 'til we have the tome, more and more hunters will "build up" and the initial rush will get larger and larger as more people get through the herculean task of actually maxing their BM artifact. Which I mean, on one hand is fine but I selfishly would like there to not be a huge rush when I finally get there, because I would like to, you know, both actually have a chance at the pet and use her long-term. There's a tendency (and please don't take this the wrong way if you're also one of these types of people, because I know I've done it too) for difficult/rare tames (and mounts and battle pets and transmog and...) to end up as status symbols, and fall into disuse as they become more common; look at how frequently you (don't) see Gara nowadays, compared to how often you saw her in the first couple months after y'all worked out how to get her. She's still around, you do occasionally see one, but it's much, MUCH less frequent than it was—the hunters who still use her mostly just LIKE her.

I mean, all that's out the window if it's a personal challenge thing like Fenryr or... well actually, or like Gara. I don't mind everyone having the same pet (well, I DO... but pet fads fade, so that's a pretty temporary problem lol), I do mind everybody FIGHTING for the same pet. If it's totally personal and not dependent on faction-irrelevant PvP we can pretty much discover her whenever and that's totally fine, haha.

Erp. That was a tangent, sorry :x let's get back to finding tiny clickable objects, yeah? :P
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

Been going through suramar and broken shore.... can't seem to find any leads :( item spawn must be well hidden.... thinking about checking Fel wood, shadow moon valley from BC, and anywhere else I can think of with fel ties :/
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

None of those other locations would make sense. As we have discussed here prior, Lalathin is tagged as Elisande's pet. Because of that, it only makes sense for it to be in Suramar, Suramar City, or on the Broken Isles.