Any HD models you'd like to see be implemented for pets?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Re: Any HD models you'd like to see be implemented for pets?

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm actually very fond of the vanilla wind serpents just as they are (I worry they'd get the sort of "update" that gave us hipster bears), but I must admit that your feathered one is absolutely gorgeous.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Rhyela wrote:I'm actually very fond of the vanilla wind serpents just as they are (I worry they'd get the sort of "update" that gave us hipster bears), but I must admit that your feathered one is absolutely gorgeous.
Yeah, that's what I worry about. I really enjoy them as-is, and I really don't think I'd want to see them with this weird new art-style they seem to be using. Look at feathers on the new owls and kaliri, on the owls especially they look more like fish scales than feathers. Or, they'd get covered in annoying lightning effects like a certain artifact-tied companion since they used to sneeze lightning themselves.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

You have a point, their recent feathers (mostly on hippogryph and gryphons I think?) are kind of weird...
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

PrimalTazza wrote:
Rhyela wrote:I'm actually very fond of the vanilla wind serpents just as they are (I worry they'd get the sort of "update" that gave us hipster bears), but I must admit that your feathered one is absolutely gorgeous.
Yeah, that's what I worry about. I really enjoy them as-is, and I really don't think I'd want to see them with this weird new art-style they seem to be using. Look at feathers on the new owls and kaliri, on the owls especially they look more like fish scales than feathers. Or, they'd get covered in annoying lightning effects like a certain artifact-tied companion since they used to sneeze lightning themselves.
One thing I have noticed of all the updated/replacement models thus far, any that are reptilian looking, have been done exceptionally well. Skin and leather, pretty good, but the ones (I personally find) they struggle with have been feathers, and mainly fur.
  • •Mana Wyrms and Raptors, Sporebats, Corehounds have been wonderful (Pretty Darn Good)

•Boars, Wyvern, Bats, Eagles (Darn Good)

•Gryphons, Hippogryphs, Draenor coyote (wolf), Bears (Oh Darn)
I have faith that because of how easy the wind serpent model is to edit, the room for error will be way less, and an update would be closer to the original. That said, if they wanted to add another version all together, that is similar but not a replacement, I feel thats generally the best course of action they can do.
If not, a couple of rares that hold the same vanilla skin (like the bears) works too :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
somnomania
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by somnomania »

See, the Draenor wolf is my absolute favorite so far, much better than the mangy Broken Isles ones. The Draenor one just looks so fluffy to me. But I'm totally in agreement about feathered stuff recently. Blizz has always had a huge problem with wings on creatures; look at the anatomy in the newer hippogryph model, with the one long straight part at the top of the wing and then all the feathers extending straight down from it. That's not how wings work! And yeah, the reptillian/hide-based creatures all look pretty damn good. The newer raptor models are fantastic, the mushan and newer kodos are awesome, etc. I've never used a wind serpent myself but I've always liked the model, and honestly the model doesn't even need updating, because it's so simple, just the texture. I love the feathered one further up in the thread!
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

Passing thought : Would be nice to see accurate dinosaurs too.

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I feel like I'm the only one who cares about Tallstriders. ;-;
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Myzou wrote:I feel like I'm the only one who cares about Tallstriders. ;-;
I'm totes with you Myzou, I totally LOVE them too! :hug: Image
(Oh clutch mother, how I adore you #She'sMyFav! #FirstRareOnMyBabyNeftHunter)

In fact, they were the inspiration for one of my 1st Spiritbeast concepts I started way back when...
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=394

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SpiritBinder wrote:

In fact, they were the inspiration for one of my 1st Spiritbeast concepts I started way back when...
That was such an incredible design :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
somnomania
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by somnomania »

SpiritBinder wrote:

Ohhhh, that design is gorgeous! I love all the little details you have there, and the best part is that it's well within the bounds of WoW realism. It's a damn sight more realistic and believable than the Pandaria Phoenix models, anyway, which is my absolute lowest standard to compare things to. :D