My take on the changes to the pups and potentially scorpions

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Beviah
Realm: Illidan

My take on the changes to the pups and potentially scorpions

Unread post by Beviah »

I made a post on the Battle.net forums, and I will cross-post it here and provide a link for you to (hopefully) support my stance over there as well.

"Let's set things straight:

I'm not one of the hunters who got the pups, however, I am fortunate enough to own an Emberspit Scorpion, and I want to speak on behalf of the Hunter community regarding this topic.

I feel there's no justification behind changing the appearance of the pups, much less getting ready to potentially do the same to the Emberspit Scorpions. When I say this, let me politely remind Blizzard about the Grimtotem Spirit Guide, the Spirit of Koosu, the Spirit of Ha-Khalan, the Gorishi Grub, the Ember Parasite, and the most relevant; the Direhorn.

Considering the circumstances, it's really unfair to remove these pets from players who were fortunate enough to obtain them, especially considering the fact that other players paid real money to help the hunter community out to get an appearance. This is the key point, it is an appearance, it's not like it gives players an unfair advantage (like the flame Raptors) or was completely too far-fetched to be a pet (although, going by the same logic, the ooze should have been reverted too), or a humanoid pet (Garwal).

Now, before we delve into the topic of "well, hunters shouldn't have been there in the first place, it was an exploit", let me focus on the key word "exploit". Exploits, in the gaming sense, are actions that a player conducts in order to gain an unfair advantage, by exterior means that are unintended, over another player. So saying this was an exploit is unconventional. While yes, I understand Blizzard has the right to define what is an 'exploit' within their game, this is speaking generally. This was a glitch, a glitch that Blizzard gave the tools to the players, and of course, they are going to attempt to try and get hold of it, because it is purely cosmetic, and is interesting and unique. Similar to the pets mentioned above.

Whilst addressing the fact that yes, the pups were 'babies', and it is really not typical of someone to think of a child as being capable of fighting a two story monster, having the ability to destroy an entire raid of players, but once again, this is a fantasy game, with fantasy characters. I'm not attempting to dilute Blizzard's game, because I've been playing this game since it's launch, I've seen it all, I love this game and I think I can safely say this is one of the most ridiculous actions taken against players for attempting to tame a unique skin.

I know of players who do much worse things in the game, and yet, not a single thing has happened to their account or characters in response, but we choose to punish players for taming a unique hunter pet?

I don't understand it, quite frankly, I know of much worse glitches, and potential exploits off the top of my head, that I'm fairly confident Blizzard knows about as well, but we're choosing to take actions against players who tame a pet skin? Yet, I look at the history of retired hunter pets, and see an overwhelming list of pets who have not been changed, yet are arguably worse than the Dreamway Pup and Emberspit Scorpion combined."

Thoughts?

Link to the post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20754345333

Much love to you all who lost your pups. :hug:
Beviah

Re: My take on the changes to the pups and potentially scorp

Unread post by Beviah »

DaHuntsMasta wrote:Beviah please post anything you know that is actual exploitation like people using the bug to go under the bg maps, etc on http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 64#p577164 Help save the puppies!
Sure, I'll compile a list. :)
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Actually, please stick to the main thread, we do not need multiple threads on this.

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24709

It's a hot topic with a LOT of emotion behind it. We are ok for it to happen, but it makes it MUCH harder to moderate with new threads popping up.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

Thanks for posting in the forums. It's too much to hope they'll revert the change.... but you never know. They just need to know how hypocritical they're being.
Beviah

Unread post by Beviah »

SpiritBinder wrote:Actually, please stick to the main thread, we do not need multiple threads on this.

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24709

It's a hot topic with a LOT of emotion behind it. We are ok for it to happen, but it makes it MUCH harder to moderate with new threads popping up.
Will do.
Xylexia wrote:Thanks for posting in the forums. It's too much to hope they'll revert the change.... but you never know. They just need to know how hypocritical they're being.
Agreed, I'm giving it a shot, hopefully I'll get a blue response soon.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Just a thought. Spreading such vitriol as was present in another thread about the pups just might endanger our other trick tames. They don't have to let us keep the ones they've let us keep. They can take them away at any moment, as they did the pups. How about just cool it before they solve this "problem" once and for all, in a very unequivocal, final way?

Btw, this is partially a response to sentiments on the main and fortunately locked thread about this. Sorry if that is out of place and feel free to remove my comment if it is.

That said, your post seems quite reasonable and pointing out the inconsistency is probably valid. I just hope people keep their cool.
Last edited by Teigan on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I'm super sad I missed the pups but I dunno if I want them taken away from others. I wonder if there's a code/graphics issue for the removal.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
muajin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: argent dawn

Unread post by muajin »

my hati has the model..i hope it doesnt get taken..
Gigabear
Realm: Suramar

Re: Return of the Scorpid

Unread post by Gigabear »

Vephriel wrote: Honestly they look out for us so much, I hope people can see that and not feel bitter toward them for pet decisions. They give us a lot, and I'm just really grateful someone went through the trouble of doing this at all. :)
They took my puppy. Going to be real hard short of giving it back to make that up to me. But what might help is if they felt so inclined to at least explain the rampant inconsistency in why the pups were yanked, but baby direhorns were not.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Gigabear wrote:
Vephriel wrote: Honestly they look out for us so much, I hope people can see that and not feel bitter toward them for pet decisions. They give us a lot, and I'm just really grateful someone went through the trouble of doing this at all. :)
They took my puppy. Going to be real hard short of giving it back to make that up to me. But what might help is if they felt so inclined to at least explain the rampant inconsistency in why the pups were yanked, but baby direhorns were not.

This is just my speculation but I think this has something to do with pets' model integrity when set on lower graphic setting. While the baby direhorn, albeit looking a bit pixelated when its size is scaled up after taming, the wolf cub model is severely ruined when the graphic is set low, especially when its size increased. The same case or scenario happened to the baby bear cub during wotlk beta.
Gigabear
Realm: Suramar

Unread post by Gigabear »

pop wrote: This is just my speculation but I think this has something to do with pets' model integrity when set on lower graphic setting. While the baby direhorn, albeit looking a bit pixelated when its size is scaled up after taming, the wolf cub model is severely ruined when the graphic is set low, especially when its size increased. The same case or scenario happened to the baby bear cub during wotlk beta.

The texture was fine though at higher settings. Without being absolutely certain, I'd be shocked if there was nothing they could change to force the high res model at all graphics settings.
purgatorywolf

Unread post by purgatorywolf »

especially considering the fact that other players paid real money to help the hunter community out to get an appearance.
^ is against ToS.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

purgatorywolf wrote:
especially considering the fact that other players paid real money to help the hunter community out to get an appearance.
^ is against ToS.
They are talking about the RaF which costs real money, not buying it from someone. :mrgreen:

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Gigabear wrote:
pop wrote: This is just my speculation but I think this has something to do with pets' model integrity when set on lower graphic setting. While the baby direhorn, albeit looking a bit pixelated when its size is scaled up after taming, the wolf cub model is severely ruined when the graphic is set low, especially when its size increased. The same case or scenario happened to the baby bear cub during wotlk beta.

The texture was fine though at higher settings. Without being absolutely certain, I'd be shocked if there was nothing they could change to force the high res model at all graphics settings.
Below the graphic setting of 3, the pup would not display its eyes properly and would appear 'eye-less'.
Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

pop wrote:
Gigabear wrote:

Below the graphic setting of 3, the pup would not display its eyes properly and would appear 'eye-less'.
But I ❤ zombie puppies.
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []