I miss feeding my pets..

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
muajin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: argent dawn

I miss feeding my pets..

Unread post by muajin »

Anyone else miss having to feed your pets for their happiness level?

Way back when wow started, your pet`s dmg depended on his happiness level. Keeping certain types of food to keep him fed at all times. I miss that. I have had pets run away cause they didn`t get fed.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: I miss feeding my pets..

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Which was a problem. It was fun (you can still feed them now), but if you went AFK too long, you might lose your pet. You would have to carry around stacks of food in order to keep your pet happy. If you ran out of food and were in a raid or dungeon, you'd have to leave, go find a vendor that sold the food, then make your way back. During this time, the raid or group might have to wait for you to get back (assuming you are considered vital to the group). It isn't like today that Locks can just pop open a portal and summon you.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

And arrows/bullet... Nothing like running out of arrows 1/2 way into a Gruul Lair :lol:

"Whys that hunter using a melee weapon?!?"
"Shut up and just let me raptor strike ok!"
"LOL, some huntard forgot his arrows"
"I said SHUT IT!" *Hangs head in shame

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Makes me glad I started on the Unseen Path back in MOP sure wouldn't have liked hunters then as I do now lol.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

SpiritBinder wrote:And arrows/bullet... Nothing like running out of arrows 1/2 way into a Gruul Lair :lol:

I know that scenario well...lol
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

SpiritBinder wrote:And arrows/bullet... Nothing like running out of arrows 1/2 way into a Gruul Lair :lol:

Haha ... oh such fond memories! :lol:

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

muajin wrote:Anyone else miss having to feed your pets for their happiness level?
No. No I do not miss losing inventory space for food, or losing DPS when my pet's happiness dropped mid-fight...

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Since I am a Wrath baby but only been following the Unseen Path since MOP I take it this was an interesting time for hunters and to make it worse is say back then you tamed Loque after countless hours camping only to run out of food has that ever happened to any of you old time hunters?
NazzyDragon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream (US)

Unread post by NazzyDragon »

Iowawolf wrote:Since I am a Wrath baby but only been following the Unseen Path since MOP I take it this was an interesting time for hunters and to make it worse is say back then you tamed Loque after countless hours camping only to run out of food has that ever happened to any of you old time hunters?
Not loque, but Humar back in the vanilla days. I wizened quick. Your pet would not run away above loyalty level 1.

(Click image for Hunter!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

NazzyDragon wrote:
Iowawolf wrote:Since I am a Wrath baby but only been following the Unseen Path since MOP I take it this was an interesting time for hunters and to make it worse is say back then you tamed Loque after countless hours camping only to run out of food has that ever happened to any of you old time hunters?
Not loque, but Humar back in the vanilla days. I wizened quick. Your pet would not run away above loyalty level 1.
So Humar was the go to pet back then?
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh man, I remember the Humar days. There were exactly five cats that I ever saw: Humar, Rak'shiri, King Bengladash, Broken Tooth and the plain black with silver stripes nightsaber. All of them beyond King B and Broken Tooth were the "trophy cats" of the day- like Loque and other spirit beasts often are now. I had King B, purely because I was too young to realize he wasn't Rak'shiri, and so did every other hunter in existence. (except for the nightsaber. that was just the first cat most night elf hunters, who made up 99% of hunters I ever saw, could find at level 10, and if I see another one named "Shadow" I'll cry.)

I definitely remember taming a new dragonhawk once and then farming rep for a Talbuk to level it up/max its loyalty. By the time my rep farm was done, it wasn't even 70 yet.

That said, there's some nostalgia in my heart for feeding pets- it's a touch of immersion I miss, if not for all the downsides!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

I remember this one:

Soon as it was discovered everyone was out there trying to get it.

Regarding the feeding, for happiness? No don't really want to relive that, although when you feed them now do you 'toss' the food, gosh it's been so long :(
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []
muajin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by muajin »

i never tried for humar. i got some random normal non stripped cat, named it kibbles. (yea i liked the kibbles n bits commercial way back when)
muajin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by muajin »

oh. guess i still have him. KibblesNBits (i have named ONE hunter pet in my entire career, one of my first pets)

just looked at my stables almost 5 full screens, he is my only named pet.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Same! That was so embarrassing. :oops:

At some level I so miss feeding my pets to keep them happy, but it was also an extra annoyance at times. It's also hard to believe now that you could lose your pet permanently if you didn't feed it. It seems like an entirely different game, as they'd never do something that horrifying now.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Keilden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zenedar

Unread post by Keilden »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Oh man, I remember the Humar days. There were exactly five cats that I ever saw: Humar, Rak'shiri, King Bengladash, Broken Tooth and the plain black with silver stripes nightsaber. All of them beyond King B and Broken Tooth were the "trophy cats" of the day- like Loque and other spirit beasts often are now. I had King B, purely because I was too young to realize he wasn't Rak'shiri, and so did every other hunter in existence. (except for the nightsaber. that was just the first cat most night elf hunters, who made up 99% of hunters I ever saw, could find at level 10, and if I see another one named "Shadow" I'll cry.)

I definitely remember taming a new dragonhawk once and then farming rep for a Talbuk to level it up/max its loyalty. By the time my rep farm was done, it wasn't even 70 yet.

That said, there's some nostalgia in my heart for feeding pets- it's a touch of immersion I miss, if not for all the downsides!
I remember the days that diffrent pets in the same family had diffrent stats, and that you had to tame pets to learn their moves so you could teach other pets the moves. Poor Dragonhawks and their caster stats.
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

I miss the loyalties level, and a little the feeding. I was always with cats at the time... I remember once I did an afternoon just fishing in Winterspring so I would have something to feed that hungry lynx! I know it was an annoyance but, it was also immersion and it make me feel more attached to my pets. In the same way, I miss the lvl 10 baby hunter quest! When you learned how to tame by taming three beast in your start zone with the help of the Master Hunter. It was fun!
(Can't say that I miss the arrows, tho')
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

I do not miss it.. must say I lost a few pets when I forgot to feed them or I didnt have the type of food they liked lol. Sure it made it feel more.. real but dannng it sucked. Oh and the arrow stuff uggggggghhh yep ive have had to become melee hunter a few times lol. I was one of the 'lucky" few who camped Humar and have to say it was fun. I enjoyed camping on the tree actually, probably more fun memories because I had mom watch for me while she was on the computer to lol. Once my bro deleted his account I got my hunter back, and her first tame was Nardia aka Humar.
But noo with how bad camping sucks now with crz I never want any risk of losing pets lol
somnomania
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by somnomania »

I miss the loyalty levels, yeah. I still keep food on hand for pets because feeding them gives more instant health between fights than mend pet or using a bandage, so there's still that, but I was most of the way through the Broken Isles before I rediscovered feeding pets, so.

And I miss ammunition, actually. It added a bit of immersion that's missing nowadays.

I had Humar! Got him back in vanilla after a bit of camping, and he was my primary pet for ages, named Kuroneko because younger me was a huge weeaboo.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

If you didn't raid, pvp, or did a lot of dungeons, it wasn't really a concern. But if you did those things, often you would run out of ammo or food in the middle of it all. There is nothing fun about that.