What removes visual effects on already tamed pets?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zelhashan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Windrunner/Kil'Jaeden

What removes visual effects on already tamed pets?

Unread post by Zelhashan »

I'd love to compile a checlist to protect myself as I still have the oil wolf, wolf with sword in head, charred pets, etc.

What do I need to worry about so I can use these pets happily without fear of losing their buffs?

Thanks!
Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Ysera

Re: What removes visual effects on already tamed pets?

Unread post by Phyra »

From what I've experienced, the Charred pets are extremely unstable.

I've had an instant recently where, in Org, the effects fell off just taking them out of the stable.
I tested a second of my charred in Dalaran (previously safe), and found the effect wiped as well.

Timewalking, Arena, and any dungeon/event (like Chemical Crown for Valentine's) will also wipe effect pets. Lost flaming boars on the Chemical Crown event (it's hit-miss if it wipes but mine did manage to wipe).
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Timewalking and arenas are the known "guaranteed" way to wipe visual effects. Other than that, the appearance buffs seem more unstable now, with some being more unstable than others it seems. Example, the char effect... I charred a total of 4 pets. One had the effect wiped the moment I resummoned it. Another was my sacrificial pet with the effect, I took it into raid, the Valentine event, dungeons, etc. and could not get it to wipe, but I no longer have the pet. The last 2 had the effect for weeks but both of those are wiped now too.

I still have fire pig and sword wolf.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

I've seen my temp-buffed pets drop off in AQ on Ayamiss the Hunter, and Qui lost her Sha Goat fighting Yogg-Saron.

Basically, I would take them out in the world for questing only.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

There are many, many things that wipe hidden buffs. This is in place to prevent people from using buffs to exploit in PvE or PvP. But, because of this, it also removes the buffs that give those pets their unique appearances.
Zelhashan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Windrunner/Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Zelhashan »

so pretty much never ever use them again? :(
Valfreya
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind, Blackrock

Unread post by Valfreya »

Zelhashan wrote:so pretty much never ever use them again? :(

I only use my oil stained wolf while questing and doing world quests. He doesn't go anywhere else with me lol. If you stick to that youre safe. At least for now.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm kicking myself for getting rid of my flaming boar way back when. The visual and fire sound were so irritating I couldn't use it, but now I wish I had kept it just to hang out around town.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I've noticed that my glyph of.. the ursol chameleon(? I think it's called now? the glyph for druids to make bear form use the non-artifact bear forms in a random colour) flips like crazy in certain situations. Timewalking is one of them, but I've also encountered it on the platform for the last boss pre-Scenario in the Val'Sharah invasion, primarily when the boss himself is spawning and I'm dancing in and out of his weird smoky graphic on the ground.

I don't have any trick tame pets to test (and given how difficult/time consuming they seem to be on average I'm not sure I'd want to actually test with them anyway), but I wonder if whatever is causing the glyph to go bonkers in 7.2 is also a good indicator for what would be unsafe for trick tames?
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Considering the 'scaling' on all holiday bosses now, I would recommend that going into any holiday dungeon events should be assumed to wipe it as well (like Timewalking does).

Non-instanced scaling bosses should be fine, but anything that you have to instance/queue for, I'd consider a danger.
Come see Kurasu's stables!