"Frayfeather Hippogryph Tameable for All" Hunt FOUND!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: "Frayfeather Hippogryph Tameable for All" Hunt FOUND!

Unread post by Vephriel »

Funk wrote:
Wain wrote:The one thing about the new one that I (and a lot of others) don't like is the how the folded wings are weirdly squared off. On such an elegant model it seemed a jarring, rough way to handle wing folding, and gives the feeling it has cardboard wings.
This is pretty much what ruins the model for me :c
Same, once I noticed it, I can never unsee how the bottom half of the wings/feathers are just....chopped off. :/ And they did such nice, elegant individual feathers on the classic models.

(posted these in another thread some time ago, but I figured they could be put here again)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Same. I like the new models, but the cut-off wings just ruin it for me. Once I noticed it, I couldn't unsee it. Hopefully, they'll someday fix the model so it isn't like that.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I agree, the flat-backed wings are straaaange. Though maybe it isn't so noticeable on a pet hippogriff since they don't really fly? (Or do they, I dunno, I heard they stand and I heard they hover so I'm honestly unsure...)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

100% agreed,

Even the random giant feathers and then large masked holes on the new ones, colour and concept are good, but the clipped wings just look so so bad. It's might not be so bad I guess as a pet, but as a mount... I would love to use mine more often, but it's pretty much the only part you see when flying, it's super off putting :|

What I'd really like? them to do a true to form update on them, like they did for the corehound. The same beaks, wings, colours, just smooth out the model and a higher rez/detailed skin. THAT, would make me very happy :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

You wouldn't be the only one happy. :D
And good job on finding them folks!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

To be fair, the clipped wings could be a good excuse for why your pet can't fly, for those who are into stories. :P
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Those clipped wings tho...

Dysphoria
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Dysphoria »

Urgh - yeah not a fan of the clipped wings at all!

Is it like that on the mounts that use this model?

I have never been a fan of the "grand" hippogryphs anyway. I don't like the head/eyes for some reason.......
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Yeah, it is. Has been that way since the RAF mount was introduced. I always figured it was a glitch but... no one's fixed the sparklepony's hoof in however long THAT'S been, so it's unsurprising it hasn't been seen to.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

Hmm not sure if maybe I switch realms with crz but I got my skystormer when I was going around emoting then one of the blue feathermanes I jut patted just went disappeared, flew to the spawn point and there he was. He wasnt up just 20 seconds earlier but with crz its hard to say if maybe using roar and pat on the blue hippogryphs only can turn them into skystormer. I noticed as well for the blue ones when I used roar that only the blue ones sometimes spooked. So wonder if he's only tied to the blue ones completely then?
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Whoa, I never knew their wings did that. That is...well, it's really bad IMO. Like, the wings just obviously end abruptly. I like the sleeker look of the vanilla ones better anyway.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, Blizzard has this tendency to just...overdesign "new" versions of creatures. Have to make them bigger, spikier, more badass looking, but it really detracts from so many of the subtle details that made the originals stand out. :/

I'm fine if they want to add secondary appearances, but I'd like for them to keep a faithful revamp alongside that.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I've noticed that too, Veph. The Draenor remodels of Talbuk and Clefthoof were, for me, some of the worst offenders, but the new hyppogriffs are up there. It seems like they've gone with the idea that smooth = bad, so the smooth surfaces of sharp-beaked creatures are broken up with spikes and angles and shapes of things truly suffer. What I wouldn't give for a remastered old Gryphon! One without the weirdly spiked beak, blank eyes, and jagged, broken wings. The old ones are fluffy and cute- same as the old hyppogriffs. Just re-paint the textures and throw on some more polygons, they don't need spiked rims on their wheels and bejeweling too!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

I actually never even noticed the 'feather clipping'... oh lord :c

What bothered me was how 'boxy' the wings are, compared to the old model. The colours are beautiful, though. It's really the wings that kill me. Why do they fold like that? :c
funk#1402

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote:Yeah, Blizzard has this tendency to just...overdesign "new" versions of creatures. Have to make them bigger, spikier, more badass looking, but it really detracts from so many of the subtle details that made the originals stand out. :/

I'm fine if they want to add secondary appearances, but I'd like for them to keep a faithful revamp alongside that.
I agree that there seems to be a trend (at times) towards loss of fine elegance for the sake of bigger-and-spikier. I also think there's a sad loss of truly bizarre and imaginative beasts for the sake of "safer" and more recognizable creatures, e.g. what they did to the Draenor wildlife. But I still have my suspicions there, that maybe the art was generated for their original idea of basing the next xpac in Azeroth and at the last minute they had to shoehorn them into Draenor so as not to waste them :P But maybe I'm overthinking it.

I do like the new hippogryph art, however, it's just the wings that do it in for me. But at least some of the model updates have kept the style of the originals and I really appreciate what they've done.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Here's a silly question that may not be immediately answerable (though you might know, Wain, since you do a lot with WMV): are the wow model texture/model maps a fixed size thing, or will higher-dimensioned files with the same ratio as the original still map properly?

That was phrased really poorly (it's very hot here today and I am absolutely fried). But for example, the original hippogryph wing texture file is 128x256. Would a texture file of 512x1024 still display properly on the OG hippo's wing, or would it only map the top left corner?

Basically, I'm wondering if a higher resolution texture could be applied to the old models without requiring a full model revamp. I suppose in the end it doesn't make that much difference, as I suspect there are very few people in the graphics department whose skillset leans significantly toward the Photoshop portion over the Maya/3DS portion and if anybody in-team was passionate enough about it for it to be a personal project they'd probably want to do it "right," but it's one of those things, y'know?

(I really miss having access to a Mac-capable WMV, either native or via CrossOver, or having a working Bootcamp partition. This is the kind of thing that was like 10,000% My Jam™ but the tools just aren't here anymore to allow it :\)
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xella wrote:Here's a silly question that may not be immediately answerable (though you might know, Wain, since you do a lot with WMV): are the wow model texture/model maps a fixed size thing, or will higher-dimensioned files with the same ratio as the original still map properly?
They should. There are cases of this in the files already, where one skin is twice as big as another (for some reason) but both work because the ratio and formatting remains the same.

But that wouldn't solve the issue that a lot of old models are also very low polygon count, and the more detailed textures mapped onto them might look more like wallpaper. It might work in some cases, though.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Vephriel wrote:Yeah, Blizzard has this tendency to just...overdesign "new" versions of creatures.
I've also come to notice that with this over designing, they then have been doing the opposite with colour, and namely the reduction of saturation. It's becoming more and more of an issue (peaking inf WoD I found) with every expansion. I'm all for additions/options, but one of the big appeals of wow has been it's colour palette too.

A lot of the upgrades have been a LOT duller than their originals/counterparts.

Image --► Image

Image --► Image

Image --► Image

Image --► Image

I'm very aware how beautiful the new textures and resolution is on all the newer versions, I just find it a shame that many have to be dulled down. It's a fantasy game, fluro green kitties should be compulsory! :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Yeah it would definitely have to be on a case-by-case basis but there are some models that I feel still hold up—you don't NEED a lot of polygons on some things, but when you can see the distortion of the texture itself, it gets really funky (I'm thinking of the GSW/old ghost wolf atm, and boy do I miss having that option for shaman glyphs, but it applies to any of the old model creatures who utilize the transparency of the texture to bypass old poly restrictions).

But like I said, anybody with the connections to get new stuff implemented is probably also at least competent enough in 3DS/whatever program blizzard uses internally to do the modeling/rigging. Me, on the other hand... not so much, haha ;P
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.