Updated Gallery Pages on Petopia

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Updated Gallery Pages on Petopia

Unread post by Wain »

I've updated the look of the old gallery page on Petopia. Originally the page displayed one huge block of all possible looks, with unused looks tacked on the end. This worked well when we only had around 200 looks total, but not today!

I've broken it up into two pages:
I've broken the looks up by family and model, added a few notes here and there, and added a handy index at the top. I hope you find it useful :)

Also, and you may think me crazy, all the individual looks pages for unused moths and spiked crabs now have a note that describes their skin combinations, since all of them were created as novel combinations of existing skins. e.g.:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... host-black
http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... endarwings
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Amyliz
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Llane

Re: Updated Gallery Pages on Petopia

Unread post by Amyliz »

I absolutely love it Wain! I use this gallery format whenever I am trying to find a pet that is a certain color combination...to match a transmog or mount :D It looks very sleek and easy to take in all the information at a glance. Great work!!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Aww thanks :) I'm glad you like it. Please let me know if anything could be set out better or if there's anything missing.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Does look great. You're really putting in a lot of work and polish to the pages! I know its appreciated.

Although looking at the untameable/unconfirmed list just ends up making me salty at all the cool things they haven't used yet :lol:

Which did lead me to a question, more along the lines of your thinking of why one but not the other: you have the gem hunched cats but not the gem saber cats. Curious why?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quiv wrote:Does look great. You're really putting in a lot of work and polish to the pages! I know its appreciated.

Although looking at the untameable/unconfirmed list just ends up making me salty at all the cool things they haven't used yet :lol:

Which did lead me to a question, more along the lines of your thinking of why one but not the other: you have the gem hunched cats but not the gem saber cats. Curious why?
I think I have shots of all those, I just haven't added them yet :)

Or they don't exist in the saber folder so couldn't be used in the game yet anyway. I forget which. But I do have a few looks pages already where the skin would need to be copied from another folder so I'm not averse to that.

It's a shame they didn't give them diamond teeth. On the saber model it looks all the stranger when they're all a uniform colour. But not too bad.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK, gem saber cats are in! Thanks for pointing that out. In the process I also discovered the Amber ones were missing from the standard and "mystic" cats models too.

Also, if anyone has a better suggestion for "mystic", please suggest away. The model was called "hunched" but I don't think it really sold what they were about. They have glowing eyes, shiny skin, and seem to be often used as mystical guardians and companions by powerful beings, so I thought something of a supernatural nature was a better name.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

That sounds good to me. I call them hunchbacks with ear infections (due to how they run with a tilted head) so mystic is much better than that :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Speaking of skins from other models, I've also added a few more:
- lavender, aqua, gold and "reddish tan" skins for the regular and mystic cats. They currently only appear in the saber cat folder.
- orange-striped green (like He-Man's Battle Cat) and "golden tan" on the frostsabre / saber cat model. Those skins are currently only found in the regular tiger / mystic tiger folder.

Just to explain for anyone who doesn't already know how it goes with old tigers:

- the same skin format is used by all three of the old tiger cat models: the regular one, the "nodding / hunched / gem" mystic one, and the "frostsabre" saber cat one. So they can share all the same looks.
- the mystic and regular tiger models share a folder, so they already have access to the same set of skins.
- the saber cat model (and the mount models) is in a separate folder for some reason, and has its own set of skins, most of which are identical in colour to the ones in the regular tiger folder. Except the naming is often a little different : the file "TigerSkin<colour>" on the regular model is often identical to "RidingTigerSkin<colour>NoSaddle" on the saber model.
- there are exceptions to the naming conventions where skins have completely different naming styles, or have been copied later (like the gem skins and the spectral ones) and retained their original names. But most follow the format above.
- the one exception to colour parity seems to be "Brown". The "RidingTigerSkinBrownNoSaddle" on the saber model is slightly redder than the "TigerSkinBrown" on the regular model. It's weird like that. As a result I've modelled them on each other's models and named them "Golden-Tan" and "Reddish-Tan". To see compare the following two looks:
- http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... wnnosaddle (the original colour for the saber model)
- http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... frostsabre (the skin from the regular tiger model)

I'm flagging all the "model swap" skins, as well as ading notes to that effect to their looks pages.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Update on unused / unavailable skins : I've added a few more that would require copying the texture from other models (in the game database) before they could work, like:
- bright green wasp: http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... -dragonfly
- silver worg with glowing eyes: http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... eblankeyes
- a whole bunch of dire ravagers using skins currently only found on the regular old ravager model:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/gallery.php? ... ly=ravager

The individual looks pages now mention the (game database) path to the texture file in their notes. This is mostly in case anyone at Blizzard was interested, or anyone is into modelling game objects.

In the Unavailable Looks gallery I've added a little blue semicircular arrow ( ) by the name of looks that are derived from skins that need to be copied from other models. For examples, check out the ravager family page (also mentioned above) in the Unavailable Looks gallery: http://www.wow-petopia.com/gallery.php? ... ly=ravager
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

This is fantastic Wain, such nice organization. It really makes a big difference for browsing everything at once, excellent job! :)
Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Silver Hand (H) Scarlet Crusade (A)

Unread post by Ashaine »

I agree with everything Veph just said. Your tireless attention to detail and organization has made this site so easy to navigate! I just wanted to say that I appreciate all that you've done to make this place such a well structured and meticulously updated resource for all of your fellow hunters! It looks great! Keep up the wonderful work! ♥

Ashaine Silverfel - <Dreadblade Assassins> - Silver Hand US - Faileas#1676
Deviantart | Facebook | Signature Shop | Flight Rising
"Not all who wander are lost."

Guildmaster • Hunter-Friendly RP Guild • Always Recruiting! • PM me!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Aww, thank you both :) I enjoy doing it, but it's nice to know it's worthwhile :) .