Taming Felstalkers

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Taming Felstalkers

Unread post by Wain »

I tweeted Don Adams about the Fal'dorei spider thing. Let's see if he replies :)

https://twitter.com/WayneGWoods/status/ ... 9618392064
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Wain wrote:Oh, I meant like this lady :)
Oh yeah.... Hmmm I know they are very "Corehound-y" (namely due to the same model/rig) but they have always come across as more of a demon to me. I was always surprised they never ended up as a new Warlock pet (How good would an updated version look! :shock: ) but like you said, I'm sure there is a lot more voidy goodness on it's way ;)

But yeah, these guys kinda like they took traditional Beholder Demon from DND

put it together with a frisky Drakeadon (Don't ask, I don't want to know either...)

and out popped a Void Hound :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

SpiritBinder wrote:...put it together with a frisky Drakeadon...
The implications are... unpleasant. :mrgreen:
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Shelassa wrote: unpleasant. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

­
­
­
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

That is right, Funk. Whilst the Duskwatch has them as pets, they also have allied themselves with the Legion and have (eventually) partaken of the Fel.

@Wain. True, and you never know what Blizz could do in the future. But in regards to Core Hounds, they were originally created by the Firelords of Azeroth and Draenor. They are more elemental if anything. The ones that are listed as demons are a different creature entirely, but sadly share the exact same model. The Fel ones that are tamable are just Core Hounds that were tainted by Fel, but are still beasts.

They could be free breeding creatures, but it also could just be Blizz reusing a model without any lore implications behind it. The ones in the Dalaran sewers could fall under this, as could the ones that are companion pets. However, the ones with Elerethe have a broodmother amongst them, which is listed as an aberration. Elerethe could have birthed/created them, but we probably will never know.

Void Hounds are tricky because, most of the time when we see them, they are demons and are working with the Legion. Even the wowpedia pages lists them as demons serving the Legion and wandering the Twisting Nether.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I think mechanics have opened a door for Blizz to pursue other nontraditional tames. I hope they branch into undead and even elemental families the way they opened up mechs.

However I really can't see them giving us pure demons. Who knows though. I kinda want to tame a cacodemon...

Wain wrote:Oh, I meant like this lady :)
That thing is a lady? She's... uh, lovely. With the eyes. and teeth. Just lovely.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

They may not, simply because pets that would go into those families already exist. We have various beasts that are either very sickly or undead. We also have beasts, such as Shale Spiders and Core Hounds, which are Elementals. For Mechanicals, there weren't already robots that were tamable in different families.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Quiv wrote:I think mechanics have opened a door for Blizz to pursue other nontraditional tames. I hope they branch into undead and even elemental families the way they opened up mechs.
Very very true. I recall Muffinus rather liked the idea of potentially taking shale spiders and expanding the family to shale beasts, (not dissimilar to Spiritbeasts) even if it didn't come to fruition in the end.

I know that in the past they have knocked back certain models/skins/looks, us being told they're "too elemental", but over the years I'm not sure how well that hold up anymore

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Just saying.... :lol:
Valnaaros wrote:They may not, simply because pets that would go into those families already exist.
I believe they have done this in the past however, shifted certain looks that represented a new family better and placed them within.

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:But in regards to Core Hounds, they were originally created by the Firelords of Azeroth and Draenor. They are more elemental if anything. The ones that are listed as demons are a different creature entirely, but sadly share the exact same model. The Fel ones that are tamable are just Core Hounds that were tainted by Fel, but are still beasts.
I think maybe I remembered wrong. I could have sworn they were originally classed as demons, even in the Molten Core, and then changed to beasts when they were turned into a family. But it's probably just senility :P
Valnaaros wrote: Void Hounds are tricky because, most of the time when we see them, they are demons and are working with the Legion. Even the wowpedia pages lists them as demons serving the Legion and wandering the Twisting Nether.
Indeed, they are tricky. It's clear they originate in the void, free of Legion control, but almost we've encountered have been demons. A few have been non-Legion though (probably still pure?), including a couple in Draenor, and also Immol'thar who acts powers Dire Maul. Two of three of those have been classed as "Aberrations", probably for want of a better term to describe void creatures. Given that they're probably just native to the void and original in form, the term "aberration" is probably not literally correct, though - they seem to just be part of the native creatures of that realm.

Going by the kinds of things that are in the "Core Hound" family (which in itself is probably not a good name since some of them almost certainly don't originate in the Core), it seems that they're a broad group of highly mutable hound-like beasts that inhabit a variety of planes of existence and often have associations with various powers and celestial beings. Though it doesn't share the same skeleton, I would suggest that the new three-headed "Guarm" model might be a related creature, and perhaps even the one-headed demonic / arcane hounds that are currently classed as Dogs. This is all purely speculation, but if you look at their features they have an awful lot in common. :)

Sorry if this is side-tracking the original topic of felstalkers :P It is kind of related, though. Has the origin of Felstalkers been documented anywhere? I know that one of the novels claims that felhounds are unnatural, but that doesn't mean the same is true for the stalkers.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

They originally were classified as demons, but that was just a game mechanic in this case. Even in Vanilla, the lore stayed that Ragnaros created them. Thus, they are Elementals.

They do originate in the Void, but we do not know if it is outside of Legion control. Immol'thar is, most likely, apart of the Legion due to his lore stating that he is a Demon. In the majority of cases, a Demon is apart of the Burning Legion.

But I agree. The Core Hound family isn't one that makes a lot of sense and should be broadened in some way.

Felhounds is the base family. Felhunters and felstalkers are apart of that family, but different breeds. However, all of them are unatural. They are Legion creations, and have no uncorrupted version anywhere.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I agree that if there isn't an uncorrupted version somewhere, hunters shouldn't be able to tame it. Let the warlocks have that one. However, I have always thought those flaming bone dogs were pretty cool, and we have precedence for taming bone things (spiders, hawks), as well as flaming things (core hounds, runed demon dogs' flaming feetsies), so why not something that's a mix of both?

I'd also love to see the "demon" spider model become tameable. They're too cool to not have! :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

While it would be cool, no, shouldn't happen. Demons are taboo (no, warlocks most likely do not just walk around town in broad daylight looking like the evil, innocence-destroying people they are, especially not with their demonic summons in tow) and hunters are generally well-meaning people that just wouldn't want to be in the company of such a thing, even if they could find a way to tame it without it potentially corrupting them by mere exposure.

Remember that taming in WoW is more than just teaching some tricks and commands, soul of hunter and pet are mutually bound to one another. I don't want my soul bound with the nigh-irreversible bloodlust, sadism and depravity of a demonic being.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Well said, Tazza.