Argus Pet Thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Possible Argus Pets?

Unread post by Quiv »

It seems MMOChamp's PTR database is behind Wowheads. I couldn't find the voidgorged stalker on it, which sucks because it has the "Tameable" flag to filter on the NPC and wowhead (to my knowledge) doesn't.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

According to the DB, Pantharas are in the cat family. The Talbums are, of course, in the stag family. Marsuul's are in the porcupine family, and young ones are called Kits.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:According to the DB, Pantharas are in the cat family. The Talbums are, of course, in the stag family. Marsuul's are in the porcupine family, and young ones are called Kits.
I guess we'll see soon enough which ones remain that way. Talbuks (I love the typo :D ) are unquestionably just stags, but the other two don't fit so well for me. Pantharas are tiger-like in outline but I think the relation to Cats should end there. Plus I think we simply have too many freaking Cats, it's madly unbalanced.

If porcupines were expanded to be a kind of mustelid family (no idea of the name) I could see Marsuul fitting in. Otherwise, they're not even spiny, they just have sailfins.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Shoot, just noticed that typo...lol

I agree with the Panthara, but they will most likely leave them in the Cat family. Their appearance, social structure, and hunting methods are all similar to various big cats.

Marsuuls would fit well in a weasel family, since they are basically alien weasels.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Wain wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:According to the DB, Pantharas are in the cat family. The Talbums are, of course, in the stag family. Marsuul's are in the porcupine family, and young ones are called Kits.
I guess we'll see soon enough which ones remain that way. Talbuks (I love the typo :D ) are unquestionably just stags, but the other two don't fit so well for me. Pantharas are tiger-like in outline but I think the relation to Cats should end there. Plus I think we simply have too many freaking Cats, it's madly unbalanced.

If porcupines were expanded to be a kind of mustelid family (no idea of the name) I could see Marsuul fitting in. Otherwise, they're not even spiny, they just have sailfins.

But porcupines are rodents, not mustelids though

I'm actually kinda bummed out that panthara and marsuuls aren't in a new family given that we already have tonnes of cats.

I guess marsuul are based of long tailed porcupines or tree porcupine then
Last edited by pop on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It's funny, I was in the opposite camp with Mana Sabers. They were originally in a family of their own and I was vocally opposed, basically because they were the same model as other cats (with glow lights) and there were just three colours. In this case I'd be for a new family since not only is there a decent range of beautiful colours but the model and appearance has a lot of differences to a cat. Ah well, they probably think I'm being contrary :D

It reminds me, though. I just wanted to say how much I love the huge colour range in most of these new creatures. They're really beautiful and varied. No "three skins only" in this lot! The artists have gone to a lot of work and I for one am really appreciative of them.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I'm still hoping that Panthara are actually based of marsupial lion or tasmanian tiger, and other early proto mammals, while Marsuuls are based of koalas and quokkas as well as numbats and quoll:- I prefer combining them both into a single NEW ALIEN/ARGUSIAN family.

Would love if their family would have 'bio luminescence' as their ability; increase dodge chance or something.
Last edited by pop on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The cat family is just ridiculously overpopulated at this point, which is why I wish they'd look into using some of the more obscure/lesser used creatures for new models. This would have been perfect for an updated warp stalker beast, but alas. Even though I agree the panthara could make a good alternate family, I suspect they won't put that much thought into it and just stick them in the cat family for convenience.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Having said, I would probably be pleased enough if they were all made tameable, at least. But putting panthara into the cat family makes me feel like someone identifies moles or shrews or rabbits as rodents; though they look similar enough, they aren't the same family.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It would be neat if they are marsupials, but thus far it doesn't look like they will be. Just looking at the Marsuuls, the young are called Kits. Weasels, squirrels, rabbits, badgers, ferrets, skunks, and foxes all have offspring that are called kits. Due to their physical appearance, Marsuuls are probably based somewhat off of weasels and ferrets.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

That's the thing' i know my weasels and ferrets; they have elongated bodies and but short limbs. And squirrels are rodents, not a mustlelids, while rabbits are lagarmophs.

Marsuuls do reminds me of meerkats though, and to some extent, the way they move reminds me of the rodent; mara.

Wait is marsuul= mara?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_mara

Wouldn't that mean they are rodents? if so can we get beavers joining this porcupine, marsuul and beaver group then pls
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

If Marsuuls become part of the Porcupine family, I demand beavers get the same treatment. I've wanted a beaver pet for a long time, just to have a pair named Norbert and Daggett.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Another thing to consider is whilst Blizz takes inspiration from RL, it doesn't mean that everything is a perfect mirror image. Marsaals may take inspiration from RL animals, but that doesn't mean they are based 100% off of anything in particular.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

They're Space Weasels!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

As opposed to Spice Weasels. Which are also from space.

Attachments
spice-weasel.jpg
spice-weasel.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Wain :lol:

I think them being in the same family as Porcupines (assuming they don't get their own), would be alright. However, they would need to change the family name to something else.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Question on the new talbucks. Their tails look to be little stumps instead of long horse tales-did they fix the run animations in regard to their tails?

I've loved the new talbuck models when they came out. But after a bit of time having my purple talbuck, Fashionista, running alongside me while I rode the new talbuck mounts-I started to get really, really, really irked at the way the tail constantly flipped up and down as they ran. It look so unrealistic and stupid to me, personally, gah. Got to the point where I rarely use either which is sad as I like them aside from that.

So here is the question: Do the argus talbucks have flippy tails or do they actually stay in a normal carry position when they run?

Loving the colors on these guys, I already have my eye on a number of them.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Valnaaros wrote:Wain :lol:

I think them being in the same family as Porcupines (assuming they don't get their own), would be alright. However, they would need to change the family name to something else.

Rodent

Quillbeast

Buckteeth

Vermin

Scavenger

huge ass rat

I still hope the marsuul kit renamed into joey.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

pop wrote:

Rodent

Quillbeast

Buckteeth

Vermin

Scavenger

huge ass rat

Rouses? Or perhaps Aryou'Oeses This would be the best name ever!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

pop wrote:

Rodent

Quillbeast

Buckteeth

Vermin

Scavenger

huge ass rat

Hm... Not sure which of those names would fit best.