Best pet in Vanilla

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lurtar

Best pet in Vanilla

Unread post by Lurtar »

Hi everyone !
I play on Vanilla and my hunter's 60, i up on BM with a Gorilla.
Now i'm Marksman and i've take the unique Ghost Saber to Darkshore (open car figurines to have it).
He don't learn any special competence, it's normal ?

For you what's the best pet in this expansion ?
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: Best pet in Vanilla

Unread post by Sukurachi »

how exactly do you "play on vanilla"?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

There's one cat that had a near-unfair boost to its movement speed; King Bangalash in Stranglethorn. It runs 300% faster, and it supposedly attacks faster too. I don't know what patch removes that, but at least up until 2.0, it has the unfair boosts. King Bangalash is pretty strong in the wild though, if you try to go at the recommended level for the zone.
Sukurachi wrote:how exactly do you "play on vanilla"?
It's possible that they're playing on a private server. They still exist, after all.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

I didn't play during Vanilla myself, but friends who did almost choir to sing praises to Broken Tooth, a cat from Badlands, due to his attack speed.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

If I remember correctly, the ZG bats were pretty crazy with their attack speed.

Siggy under construction!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

private servers are illegal.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Sukurachi wrote:private servers are illegal.
Don't need to be a killjoy though.
I'm sure everyone who plays is well aware of that.
If Blizzard wants to do something about it, they'll just take down the private sever like they've done before.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

the point is that THIS forum should not be the place to encourage or ignore the illegal activity.
while it may be up to Blizzard to do the actual policing, it is also up to Petopia to not allow illegal activity to be encouraged or supported on its forums.

"Step on no pets!"

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Sukurachi wrote:the point is that THIS forum should not be the place to encourage or ignore the illegal activity.
while it may be up to Blizzard to do the actual policing, it is also up to Petopia to not allow illegal activity to be encouraged or supported on its forums.
Yet us posting about illegal pet tames is fine? Remember when pet effects were a thing hunters could pull off? That was illegal because it was considered an exploit. But we were allowed to post about it and talk about it in great detail here.
Before you say "But Bowno, those were harmless pet effects". Most were, but a lot were not. A lot of them actually did a lot of harm, therefor making it an illegal exploit.

Let the OP ask their questions. We're here to help, not shun people away. They have a hunter pet question. Shouldn't matter what expansion the question is for. Petopia wont get many new forum members if they get chased away for asking legitimate questions where the answers are difficult to find elsewhere.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Sukurachi wrote:the point is that THIS forum should not be the place to encourage or ignore the illegal activity.
I completely agree. Private servers are illegal and activity on them shouldn't be encouraged.

As for those illegal pet tames, Bowno, I never saw anyone on these forums encouraging the taming of pets that gave beneficial buffs. We strictly discussed pets that had a unique appearance if you successfully tamed it using the various methods. Any talk of gaining dps buffs was shot down.

If Blizz was against the appearance pets, they would've taken them away. The only reason they removed the method was due to people gaining advantages through it.

Blizz has shown time and again that they are strongly against private servers and will ban those that play on them. As a WoW fansite, we shouldn't encourage playing on them in any sort of way. If you look at other fansites, such as mmo-c or wowhead, they too do not allow the discussion of private servers.

I'm all for having more members on these forums, but we don't need individuals that could smear its reputation. Further, how many actually come here for private server advice? Very, very few. We aren't really losing anything if we do not aid those seeking advice regarding them.
Lurtar

Unread post by Lurtar »

Keep calm guys... i just comes here to have good advices from good huntes...
Then... Thanks you WerebearGuy, Shelassa and Bowno
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Bowno wrote:
Yet us posting about illegal pet tames is fine? Remember when pet effects were a thing hunters could pull off? That was illegal because it was considered an exploit. But we were allowed to post about it and talk about it in great detail here.
Tend to agree here with Bowno. We as a website do not support or encourage activity that goes against the games terms and conditions. We have always tried to be as inclusive towards diverse discussion and the sharing of information and possible. That, has on many occasions, has been very very grey at times regarding exploits the tame things that have not been intended. And many times these discussions have ended in things being removed/hotfixed, thus not intended. It is likely that we will continue open discussion about such things until things overstep the boundaries the Hivequeen is comfortable with. This has happened before as well.

Regarding the topic at hand.

I'm not sure if your playing wow that only includes vanilla, however and is up to date. My guess is that all pets will be normalized (apart from a few family traits) and there for no pet is really better than another.

If your referring to original Vanlllia wow Patch 1.1.0 - Patch 1.12.2, yes there were pets far superior to others.

As mentioned the blood seeker bats did have an incredible attack speed, but were added in a patch when ZG was added.

From memory, people really liked cats in Vanilla. They had a stealth, they had Rake (A skill that had an additional DPS element) and fast attack speeds. The cat with the fastest attack speed and the best in the 1st dropped WOW, was Broken Tooth. It was very very heavily camped because of. Takk the leaper could Run so fast it could keep up and attack mounted players. There where many with different strengths, and weaknesses (like pets with caster stats that were always weaker)

Regarding pets not having a skill/ability, in Vanilla one would have to actively seek out and find a pet that had (Lets say) the claw ability. These came in various levels 1 to 3. You as the hunter would have to find a pet with a level 1 claw, get your pet to use it a few times, and then you, the hunter would then learn it after a random amount of time of you pet using it. You could then teach claw to another pet you had tamed if it was eligible to learn the skill. Then you would have to find another pet with level 2 claw, etc, etc.

There were many skills, all with different levels, and with only have 3 stable slots for pets (Including your one active) it required you to really be frugal with your pets. Sometimes, there may have been only one beast in the world that had the last rank of an ability, and they had to be tracked down. Some (Like furious howl level 3 for wolves) came from a wolf in a dungeon I recall, and was quite tricky to get.

There is no information on Petopia that I know of, that has this old information accessible/archived. If you dig about on the net however, I'm sure someone somewhere with have some lists or more information.
I'll let you do that part for yourself :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

We certainly don't support or encourage private servers here, and I'd delete any info that advertised them. But asking how a pet behaved in Vanilla isn't too bad, providing it doesn't become a common part of discussion here (which it's highly unlikely to).
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Loridon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loridon »

List from every vanilla pet his attackspeed
http://web.archive.org/web/200611122305 ... speeds.php
SpiritBinder wrote: There is no information on Petopia that I know of, that has this old information accessible/archived. If you dig about on the net however, I'm sure someone somewhere with have some lists or more information.
I'll let you do that part for yourself :)
Did you mean something like this? http://web.archive.org/web/200508042336 ... eavors.net
I didn't forgot petopia got brashendeavors in his url back then ;) Its petopia in 2005,the oldest capture from petopia I could find.
Edit: on the left there is a link "The Big List of Pet Skills".

Edit 2: so I was looking at different old petopia versions and came across this http://web.archive.org/web/200710110415 ... ding.shtml
Its about the old feeding/loyalty system!
Glassdragon
Realm: US - Stormrage

Unread post by Glassdragon »

Without digging too much while at work, here is what I can think of off-hand.

Fast attack speed:
Brokentooth
ZG Bats

Fast pursuit speed:
ZG Bats, King Bangalash, Takk, and the wolves from Alterec Valley BG, which I remember having the fastest pursuit speed.

On a side note, people also wanted super slow attack speeds. I think before hunters got normalized, for unusually large crits. Like Ursius from winterspring.

Oddites:

Lupos from Duskwood had shadow damage in his attack.
Hyenas from outside Dire Maul had resist all.
Armored boars from inside Razerfen had bonus armor.

I am just not sure at what time each of these had them, or what patch they were taken away.

That's all I can think of off-hand, but I am sure there are a lot more.