Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
KeyLimeSerpent
Realm: Wymrest Accord

Re: Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Unread post by KeyLimeSerpent »

Vephriel wrote:I'm inclined to believe that feign death might be one of the factors affecting tames. Both of my successful ones relied on camo alone and not FD. I don't think FD is necessary if you're in camo and stay a short distance away.
This was my experience. I only failed when I used the FD method.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I swear, the inconsistency that we are seeing from multiple sources drives me crazy. This meat is not easy to come by, and having to keep trying until you find the one combination of trap/FD/camo/toss that works on the right mob at the right time in the right phase of the moon while wearing the right color socks... its just stupid.
jna3773
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU) (Ally) Earthen-Ring (EU) (Horde)

Unread post by jna3773 »

Indeed, I've read several comments with different tactics .. camo, fd, from behind, in front. But it almost seems there is a mechanic in place that DOESN'T guarantee a succesful tame everytime, although it has more succes rates than failures.

Please Blizzard, make it a questline to be able to get a panthara pet, a lengthy questline if needed :P

Anyway, I have yet to get my first panthara. But haven't been busy with farming the talbuk lately.
Many many thanks to all of you who have been testing on how to go about the tame and the countless hours you have spend to get the meat.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

I just had two meats drop within 5min of each other... I don't want to press my luck so I'll just hang onto them until tomorrow and see if I can log on at some point after work to see if my luck held overnight.

Doesn't the next area unlock tomorrow anyway?
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Pent wrote:I just had two meats drop within 5min of each other... I don't want to press my luck so I'll just hang onto them until tomorrow and see if I can log on at some point after work to see if my luck held overnight.

Doesn't the next area unlock tomorrow anyway?
I believe so! Mac'Aree tomorrow, with more colours of things to tame :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Also... LOADS more talbuks to massacre. Those talbuks thought the Legion was their worst nightmare, but they never met us!
Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

I just tamed mine finally. :D I think I just needed a break to get a fresh go at it.
jna3773
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU) (Ally) Earthen-Ring (EU) (Horde)

Unread post by jna3773 »

Wain wrote:Also... LOADS more talbuks to massacre. Those talbuks thought the Legion was their worst nightmare, but they never met us!
:lol: indeed, good news if there are more talbuks to massacre. Ehm, I just realised how awful it is to say it. well, ehm yes, the things you do if you really want something :mrgreen:

Also grats Bristlenose ! very nice indeed !
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Congrats!

And yeah, I want to try more colors but I'm just gonna go for purple and maybe the blue/pink one, then donate my spare meat.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
whuumper
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by whuumper »

Ok,now personally this model cat does little for me.
But as a Hunter who likes to assist.I cannot over emphasize this one rule.
Do not have Steel Trap specced.
Of the 14 hunters so far.I worked with to insure they got there pet.All of them failed to not change this one spec.
Hence hours of more aggro farming talbuks and failed attempts.
I find removing the feign death from the sequence and making sure all trinkets are off /Anything that can proc is off...
Good Luck and if on Stormrage and feel the need for help-simply ask if free .Im there
Curious what percentage tamed as bm over sv ,also..
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Tamed one.

Aggroed it. Freezing Trap. Feign Death near it. Throw Meat at it from Feign. Tame as soon as I see the splatter.

Don't even want one. I just want it to say I did it. Lol.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks for those tips! I'm BM. I used Freezing Trap > Feign > throw meat while feigned > Tame. It worked 2/3 times and I have no idea why it failed the third. I wasn't targetting it at the time I threw the meat on the failde attempt, but testing from others demonstrates that it's not necessary. I didn't remove any gear but I also had nothing on that might proc.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:Also... LOADS more talbuks to massacre. Those talbuks thought the Legion was their worst nightmare, but they never met us!
I can see the headline now in the local Argus Journal newspaper: "Invaders come, not to stop Sargeras, but to massacre talbuks in the hopes of playing with Argus' kitties."
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Goodness, this has to be one of the most frustrating things I've done recently (I'm sure that Endless Halls will take the #1 spot whenever I get around to trying it). I killed over 170 talbuks total to get 4 of the meat needed for the tame. 3 of those failed. On the successful tame, I stripped as naked as I could get with the number of empty bag slots I had and then made sure I had nothing on that could proc.

I wanted an alpha, but ended up taming my 2nd choice skin:

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I haven't seen a single meat since the two I found on my rogue (that I sent to Theodoric)... though the one I didn't use paid for the dang shadoweave mask I bought to get my lucid nightmare (too lazy to farm the pattern...)

I think it should be a little easier now... because MacAree should be open at this point? I think?

... will people hate me if I said I went back to my nether ray? (THEY'RE SO CUTE.)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

I went to grab my last two kitties before doing anything else in mac'aree :lol:

Managed to get both with only one fail tame (I had four meats). Meat didn't react (I think I know why though). Might do more testing later today.

Screenshots later.

So that was:
- Almost 800 kills before I saw my first meat? Maybe 600? (400 + another 4 hours without counting. Idk how much I slowed down.)
- From then on, meats have been dropping every 50 kills or so. Haven't been counting, only loose estimates from the last kill. Stopped counting entirely now.
- 1 fail tame of 4 on live.
- 20ish tames testing things on the ptr.

I'm just glad I got my gd cats.

It really is a cute method of taming. On paper I like it (find tasty meat, trick the cat into eating it and tame while they aren't looking). It's far too sensitive though. Meat needs a bigger aggro radius, meat needs to drop more, meat needs to override aggro on other things (imo).
funk#1402

Rhaenia
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Rhaenia »

Figured I'd give an update since I got to tame a new Panthara today (the purple-yellow one).
I used my tried and true freeze trap>FD>throw meat and tame method, and it worked. Out of curiosity and having extra meat, I tested a tame from stealth on another one of the same color, and it worked as well. That was my very first successful tame from stealth...All of my other successful tames have been from FD. Anyone have any new ideas as to what variable is ruining some tames and not others?

For me, the cat color that gave me the most grief with failed tames was the Fel-green...But I know that people have had trouble with every color variant, so I'm stumped.

Valyrio muño ēngos ñuhys issa

IrishCal24
Realm: Spinebreaker

Unread post by IrishCal24 »

Rhaenia wrote:Figured I'd give an update since I got to tame a new Panthara today (the purple-yellow one).
I used my tried and true freeze trap>FD>throw meat and tame method, and it worked. Out of curiosity and having extra meat, I tested a tame from stealth on another one of the same color, and it worked as well. That was my very first successful tame from stealth...All of my other successful tames have been from FD. Anyone have any new ideas as to what variable is ruining some tames and not others?

For me, the cat color that gave me the most grief with failed tames was the Fel-green...But I know that people have had trouble with every color variant, so I'm stumped.
I tried taming one purple and yellow as well and it started evading at tail end of the tame. First time i've seen that happen
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

Well I've got all 6 skin colors now, love them all and had a brilliant idea to name them after my foster kitties and my cat lol. I've done them all in surv, camo first then trap, then I waltzed pretty much right next to said cat, fd, then threw the meat while fd'd and have the green circle completely over the cat, then hit tame. It has worked 6 out of 6 times now so maybe making sure that your out of combat and the green circle is completely over the cat is what is required?
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I honestly had the worst time with the blue cats. Someone killed a purpley on me, so my spare meat is gone. But I am glad I got her. Now to pick my marsuul and nether ray...

Edit: I'd love to have the two colors I don't, but I think this grind has done enough. I'm going to grind talbuks on my skinner and just donate my meat.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!