Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Unread post by Wain »

This thread is so we can discuss ideas on how to tame Panthara on Argus, which are flagged tameable on the PTR but seem to require a trick for the tame to work. (Aside from the Panthara Apex, which are easily tameable but it may be a bug). If you attempt to tame a Panthara, the tame starts, but you immediately see a message: "<Name> shimmers as it fades into its surroundings."
The tame then breaks, but combat continues and the beast doesn't actually vanish or fade. No matter how many times you attempt to hit tame in a row it will repeat the shimmer thing.

What has been tried?

A heap of things have been tried, or considered, by Petopians on the PTR, including:

- Beating the stuffing out of it - no matter how low the creature's health it still resists taming.
- Hunter traps and stuns. Tar Trap, Freezing Trap, Concussive Shot and Binding Shot have been tried. Panthara will still avoid taming while stunned. SV Trap Mastery doesn't help.
- Flare.
- MM Sentinel power
- Track Hidden
- Countershot
- Tar Lord tar spit (in light of petrified panthara around them)
- Lighting a fire.
- Companion pet accessories: the two Pet Leashes, the Fetch Ball, and the Happy Pet Snacks don't work.
- Dragging them into the surrunding tar pits.
- Dragging them to under one of those strange, random yellow crystals about the place.
- The turnip gun toy won't work on enemies (idea was that painting it might prevent it camouflaging).
- Super Sticky Glitter Bombs prevent Rogues stealthing, but only work in Draenor.
- a bunch of repeated emotes: roars, pats, pets, growls
- lots of toys are hard to test since they didn't copy over to the PTR
- no sign of anything promising on the Army of the Light or Argussian Reach quartermasters

... I'll add more stuff when people remind me what they've tried. :)

If you have any ideas, or have tried other things, please mention them below. Are there any items that may produce bright light or mark the target in such a way that it can't be tamed?
Attachments
pantharashimmer.jpg
pantharashimmer.jpg (25.11 KiB) Viewed 10287 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Re: Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Unread post by Qinni »

I don't have update yet to try but has anyone checked if it's like gara? Loot food or something.
mpd_84
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by mpd_84 »

Has/can a dev confirmed that it's even possible right now?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

mpd_84 wrote:Has/can a dev confirmed that it's even possible right now?
Not 100%. There's always a chance that it's not possible but it seems mostly likely it is.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I've tried aggroing the Tar Lords near the Duskcloaks. There are petrified panthara around and thought maybe the Tar Lord tar spit ability would hit the Panthara. No dice of course since this affects more than Duskcloaks.

Like others, I have tried Tar traps with SV trap mastery talent (can't remember the name off hand). Also tried MM Sentinel that constantly marks targets, didn't do anything.
Telanaria

Unread post by Telanaria »

Any item from Argus reputation vendors(or non-reputation vendor) that you can use(if not now, when you reach the reputation level to buy it)?
Have you tried to activate camouflage and then try to tame? Or tame -> camouflage -> tame again.
Could also maybe be an object we need to loot that is a rare spawn.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Telanaria wrote:Any item from Argus reputation vendors(or non-reputation vendor) that you can use(if not now, when you reach the reputation level to buy it)?
Have you tried to activate camouflage and then try to tame? Or tame -> camouflage -> tame again.
Could also maybe be an object we need to loot that is a rare spawn.
The Army of Light vendor has nothing of use. There's a drink they sell that has flavour text about making you glow or something (maybe just metaphorically), but drinking it didn't help with the tame.

I haven't seen the Argussian Reach quartermaster yet.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Brought this to the attention of the secrets discord, had no clue about this till now. Hopefully get some more eyes out there.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

The Argussian Reach quartermaster has nothing new, and what he does have wouldn't help with taming them.

I highly doubt the tar pits have anything to do with it. The Panthara can be found in all three of the new zones, and tar pits are only in the first.

On Mac'Aree, I tried using thr Untethered Aether to tame them. In the Conservatory of the Arcane and the Wakener's Sanctum, there are purple orbs called Untethered Aether that grant you a buff when you click on them. They stack up to ten. I have reached that tenth stack and it didn't help with taming them.

For those making the effort to figure this out, do note that Panthara are drawn to and absorb magical energy. That is how they survive, and also why we can't tame them. They aren't stealthing, so much that they are utilize magical energy to shimmer or go partially invisible.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:For those making the effort to figure this out, do note that Panthara are drawn to and absorb magical energy. That is how they survive, and also why we can't tame them. They aren't stealthing, so much that they are utilize magical energy to shimmer or go partially invisible.
This avenue seems promising. Perhaps things that dampen or drain magical energy? Are there any kinds of anti-magic barriers we can erect, or maybe something that will lock them out of spell use for a short time? Hmmm :/
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is a DK's anti magic shell, but I highly doubt they would require us to have a DK just to tame them.

The only other possibility is an item that does the same thing, but nothing immediately comes to mind. I don't think there is a toy that does that and, even if there was, our toy options are rather limited in the ptr.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Anything that we could hit them with that is either fel or void :/
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

They actually absorb both of those energies with no ill effects (unless it is a huge amount). The Starseeker mount's description notes that they absorb void and fel energies.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Lupen202 wrote:Brought this to the attention of the secrets discord, had no clue about this till now. Hopefully get some more eyes out there.
That's cool, they've found some amazing stuff. Though since there's currently no big hurry it would be nice to see if we could work this particular thing out within our community first.

Maybe we should sic a mana wyrm onto the panthara and drain its battery :D
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That's a thought, Wain..lol

I went through the DB for items added in the last several builds of the ptr. I didn't see anything that could potentially help us. And as far as I know, items can't be hidden, like how Jetwing and Snowblind were by changing old IDs.
Loridon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loridon »

Maybe you have to lure him away from his spawn place so he lose his magical energy?

I thought of something else but its quite "outside the box" thinking.
Have you tried to use Zapthrottle Mote Extractor on him?
http://www.wowhead.com/item=23821/zapth ... -extractor
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Loridon wrote:Maybe you have to lure him away from his spawn place so he lose his magical energy?

I thought of something else but its quite "outside the box" thinking.
Have you tried to use Zapthrottle Mote Extractor on him?
http://www.wowhead.com/item=23821/zapth ... -extractor
The mote extractor is Engineering-only so I can't test. I certainly hope it's not required. :/
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Silly thought - has anyone tried the Rainbow Generator?

Or the multitude of other toys that can be used on enemies? They got rid of most toys when you transfer toons, so that'd be hard to test I'd imagine.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I've tried kiting them around, but it doesn't do anything. Besides, they store the energy inside their bodies, not their dens.

I haven't tried that toy, but as Wain said, it is Engineer only (which I am). I highly doubt they would require something only a particular profession could use.

We're rather limited in what toys we can and cannot use, since it is the ptr.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Wain wrote:This thread is so we can discuss ideas on how to tame Panthara on Argus, which are flagged tameable on the PTR but seem to require a trick for the tame to work. (Aside from the Panthara Apex, which are easily tameable but it may be a bug). If you attempt to tame a Panthara, the tame starts, but you immediately see a message: "<Name> shimmers as it fades into its surroundings."
The tame then breaks, but combat continues and the beast doesn't actually vanish or fade. No matter how many times you attempt to hit tame in a row it will repeat the shimmer thing.

What has been tried?

A heap of things have been tried, or considered, by Petopians on the PTR, including:

- Beating the stuffing out of it - no matter how low the creature's health it still resists taming.
- Hunter traps and stuns. Tar Trap, Freezing Trap, Concussive Shot and Binding Shot have been tried. Panthara will still avoid taming while stunned. SV Trap Mastery doesn't help.
- Flare.
- MM Sentinel power
- Tar Lord tar spit (in light of petrified panthara around them)
- Lighting a fire.
- Companion pet accessories: the two Pet Leashes, the Fetch Ball, and the Happy Pet Snacks don't work.
- Dragging them into the surrunding tar pits.
- The turnip gun toy won't work on enemies (idea was that painting it might prevent it camouflaging).
- Super Sticky Glitter Bombs prevent Rogues stealthing, but only work in Draenor.

... I'll add more stuff when people remind me what they've tried. :)

If you have any ideas, or have tried other things, please mention them below. Are there any items that may produce bright light or mark the target in such a way that it can't be tamed?

Whatabout hunter tracking?