Which Five?...I mean three!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Re: Which Five?...I mean three!

Unread post by Xota »

Gorilla or crab for tank, gorillas had the thunderstomp thing. Broken Tooth for dps/pvp. That is if I make a hunter on a classic server. If I even play it. My nostalgia tinted glasses may be lost.

I would keep my King Krush, and maybe a spirit beast, but I don't feel particularly attached to an individual spirit beast. I do have a giant larva I'd want to keep. And a crab I like. So cancel the spirit beast, and keep the crab.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I will be running with only two pets.

I will have to keep the third slot open to be able to tame pets in order to learn techniques to teach my pets. :)

As for which pets, I'll probably take Panzer and.... something else. I don't yet know what I'll do for DPS. Probably a wind serpent (EDITED: for some reason I called them 'dragon hawks'; I knew what I meant: the wingy snakes with lightning breath).

As for whether I'll be playing it or not, I *might* be. It depends very much on whether they will be allowing transmog items gotten on Vanilla Servers to transfer over to the rest of your characters. If they do, then I definitely will be as there are tons of things I missed out on that I badly want to get.
Last edited by Kurasu on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

As for the Grimtotem Spirit Guide, I'm almost positive it was in the game before BC. The thing is, it didn't live fast enough for you to tame it; you couldn't get the haste. Or at least, no one had discovered how.

It should still be there. Whether you can get enough haste to tame it in time, though, will be the question.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Dustwallow Marsh's revamp was in patch 2.3, which was during TBC—I don't think the GSW existed in the pre-2.3 version (because the Grimtotem camp that it spawns in didn't exist then). If it did, Horde could possibly get it (with bloodlust help) but alliance would be out of luck.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Well, if the ghost cat in Darkshore is available, I might tame that as my go-to pet...but for nostalgic play, I would have to go with a red hyena from Scarlet Monastery!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Wasn't Alterac Valley wolves some of the fastest pets back then? In case speed? I remember my Snow leopard was one of the slowest in case speed back then. Boars was THE Pet to have i think. .Gorillaes first came later as tank pets i believe? And there was a rare Wolf in darkshire which bite had Shadow dmg which ignored armor class i think. ..

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Xella wrote:Dustwallow Marsh's revamp was in patch 2.3, which was during TBC—I don't think the GSW existed in the pre-2.3 version (because the Grimtotem camp that it spawns in didn't exist then). If it did, Horde could possibly get it (with bloodlust help) but alliance would be out of luck.
If that's the case, I apologize and stand corrected. :) I didn't think it had gotten any changes done; I could have sworn the only reason people were unable to tame them was that no one had Beast Lored and/or gotten enough haste!
Boven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Tårnfalk wrote:Wasn't Alterac Valley wolves some of the fastest pets back then? In case speed? I remember my Snow leopard was one of the slowest in case speed back then. Boars was THE Pet to have i think. .Gorillaes first came later as tank pets i believe? And there was a rare Wolf in darkshire which bite had Shadow dmg which ignored armor class i think. ..
I tamed the wolf from Darkshire (Lupus?), knowing that eventually they'd fix his shadow damage. He was great while it lasted though. I think Broken Fang had the fastest attack speed of any pet. I know casters hated him in PvP due to the pushback. The fastest moving pet was Takk, wasn't it? I know he could run down mounted folks.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

As far as I remember Bite Rank 8 was only learned from Wolves in LBRS/UBRS which at that time I think had an unique appearance... there were two versions.. black and brown? BrokenTooth I remember I loved due to attack speed :D
The pink tallstridre Mazz(soomething) had the slowest chase speed and right after was the snowleopard I think.. The named tiger in STV had some good attack speed too?

Was mend pet channeled back then? I remember it having a cast line..

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Boven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Tårnfalk wrote:As far as I remember Bite Rank 8 was only learned from Wolves in LBRS/UBRS which at that time I think had an unique appearance... there were two versions.. black and brown? BrokenTooth I remember I loved due to attack speed :D
The pink tallstridre Mazz(soomething) had the slowest chase speed and right after was the snowleopard I think.. The named tiger in STV had some good attack speed too?

Oh yeah. Broken Tooth. I can't believe I got his name wrong. I was lucky in taming him. I went out to one of his spawn points and was making sure I could Eagle Eye his other spawns from where I was standing when he spawned right next to me.

Mazzranache is/was the pink tallstrider. He was the third pet I ever tamed on my hunter and was my 'main pet' for years and years. I still have him and run around with him now and then. I remember riding between Thunder Bluff and Bloodhoof Village and seeing him walking toward the road. I went back to TB, logged over to my warrior main to send some gold over so that my hunter could get his 3rd pet slot, logging back onto the hunter and waiting for the mail to arrive, buying that slot and tracking Mazz down again for a tame. I named him Peck.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Tårnfalk wrote:Was mend pet channeled back then? I remember it having a cast line..
I believe it was, although I am not be able to recall how long the cast took at this time.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Heh me neither. Ohh and pets had to be leveled and fed. You bonded more with your Pet back imo :) Pet leveling was a bit of a hazzle. And it could be challinging to solo if you had a low lvl Pet.

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

For all the pain and tedious efforts the experience put me through, a part of me does miss the old vanilla playstyle just a bit. I don't think I'd ever go back given that the quality of life for hunters has improved tremendously over the years but the vanilla experience definitely made that connection with my pets something truly unique and special.

Back then it wasn't about collecting all of the coolest pets in the game -- it was about having that one, or in some cases two, carefully selected pet(s) that you'd invest all of your time and effort into so that they could be the best that they could be.

Flight Rising

Khoovi
Realm: Moon Guard - US

Unread post by Khoovi »

Tårnfalk wrote:As far as I remember Bite Rank 8 was only learned from Wolves in LBRS/UBRS which at that time I think had an unique appearance... there were two versions.. black and brown? BrokenTooth I remember I loved due to attack speed :D

Yes ! .. I remember having to get a group to go learn Bite Rank 8 in LBRS, and I remember sneaking alone through Zul Gurub to get Lightning Breath 6, which was a sense of achievement ! I actually enjoyed going out and locating those talents. Those chores were all part of the game ...

Mend pet is so much easier now dropping on a HoT compared to channelling and interrupting DPS. I do not miss the pet levelling and feeding , but it did add to the achievement of the thing ... you kept your levelled pets happy and close.

I would love to have a Wind Serpent with Lightning Breath again, I used to use it for precision extra-long range pulls and it was a fun special effect .. crackle...zap ! My favourite was Arikara with her unique puff of smoke summoning animation ! Before I reached her level I usually tamed Azzere the Skyblade and Washte Pawne (RIP). To this day I love the classic white ones too, they reflect the light like jewels.

Other than that, the dark armoured boar from RFK as a tank, whom I always named Twitchtusk (and still do) and for damage .. probably Humar the Pridelord or Takk the Leaper, both old favourites ..

The dear old Barrens (and nearby) was where most of my favourite tames hung out .. to me I will go and look at Classic because I want to see some of those old zones how I remember them.. especially Ashenvale, Darkshore, Barrens and Azshara .. and oh Auberdine I remember you well !
Chaix
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: malfurion

Unread post by Chaix »

^ slight problem on those serpents: caster stats. yeah remember those? there's one change they could make without people complaining.

I can probably guess what i'll be using: takk (for running down epic mounts) and shy-rotam ('cause I spent days up there waiting and grinding the last level for that spawn)
Khoovi
Realm: Moon Guard - US

Unread post by Khoovi »

Chaix wrote:^ slight problem on those serpents: caster stats. yeah remember those? there's one change they could make without people complaining.
Heavens yes ! However, at least they weren't all affected. The rare spawn wind serpents apart from Azzere the Skyblade (if memory serves) were free of that blight, so I usually stuck with those such as Washte Pawne, Havoc, Aresh'etis and Arikara, though Ari could only be got that one time on that horde quest chain. It added to the buzz of hunting them down.

Still miss Lightning Breath .. and they stole the fire breath off the later dragonhawks too, I always loved the overblown pyrotechnic havoc of that :D
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Before the boats from Nelf land to ironforge were made I remember I made the loooong trip from Nelf land to Ironforge and tamed a Snow leopard cub. Müsli (her name) has always been my favorite pet :) I remember researching on the petopia side just which pet I wanted. I had such fun making a makro explaining my cats name:
It´s quite logical you know..
You know the cereal Müsli, well if you put in in a bowl and poor milk over it, the raisins float to the top, leaving a lot of black spots in the white milk... Black spots on white = Snowleopards. It´s pure logic I tell you ! "

I did not care she had the one of the slowest run speed ever.. She was MY cat. If I should play vanilla again I would not change her for the world 8-)

Back from when I used to play

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

@Tarnfalk

Awe! I remember your Musli too! I always thought her name was so clever :D

Flight Rising

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Aww that warms my heart. When ever i feel tempted to pick up wow again It's because of me pets ;)

Just checked Tårnfalk out in the armory and Müsli is in her active Pet slots with a star next to her. That makes me so happy :)..been retired long so far resiting temptation has worked :)

ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: stormrage

Unread post by ilixirshy »

1. brokentooth 2. lupos 3. white windserpent