Which Five?...I mean three!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Which Five?...I mean three!

Unread post by Teigan »

Well, since classic servers are coming eventually, and that means just 5 pets just 3, I'm curious as to which 5 3 you guys would want? Which ones will you get for classic? And a more interesting and harder question...if you could only keep 5 3 of your current pets, which ones would you keep?

(Sorry if this belongs in the Blizzcon section)
Last edited by Teigan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Which Five?

Unread post by Bowno »

Going to see if I can get my Grimtotem Spirit guide again. I remember getting mine in BC by stacking haste... So not sure if it will be possible in vanilla.
Otherwise. Hm.
Will prob get a black worg.
MAYBE a bear and a crocolisk.

Siggy under construction!

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Um, hunters could only have up to three pets in Vanilla WoW. The ability to have up to five pets didn't come until Wrath. Unless I'm mistaken and Blizzard states otherwise, hunters will only have three stable slots if you decide to play as one on the new classic servers.

Technically speaking, hunters would only have two pets really as the last stable slot was always left open so that the hunter could learn new ranked abilities from wild beasts and later apply them to their permanent pets.
Last edited by Niabi on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

I may my play classic. I love all the new things too much.

I would probably go with Echeyake the white lion though as alliance
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I won't be playing Classic.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Back in the day, I had a cat for dps and a boar for tankiness. I chose them partly because they both ate fish, so it was easy to feed them.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Boars were definitely amazing back in the day, and I seem to remember Owls being really good as well.

I'm not sure if I'll be rolling a hunter for Classic. I can't play as Veph of course since she's a blood elf, and I can't roll an undead hunter which is my second choice. I certainly won't be dedicating an extraordinary amount of time there, it'll be more of a side project alt I'll play from time to time for the nostalgia factor, and to be able to revisit old zones that were destroyed in the Cataclysm.

I think if I did go hunter I'd like to eventually get the zombie boar again though, it was always a favourite of mine from Vanilla. :)
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Haha, my Cora was a zombie boar too--mainly because I decided to get a boar at level 60, and it was the highest level one :)
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Whoops, ok, three! Sorry! hehe
mpd_84
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by mpd_84 »

Bowno wrote:Going to see if I can get my Grimtotem Spirit guide again. I remember getting mine in BC by stacking haste... So not sure if it will be possible in vanilla.
Otherwise. Hm.
Don't think the grimtotem spirit guides were even added till sometime in bc. The model/skin were in shadowfang keep but untamable undead.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: Which Five?...I mean three!

Unread post by Niabi »

Teigan wrote:Whoops, ok, three! Sorry! hehe
No need to be sorry my dear. I just wanted to save you from having planned out your stable(s) ahead of time only to be disappointed later when the classic server(s) launch.

Flight Rising

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

The three most op pet during that patch.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Bowno wrote:Going to see if I can get my Grimtotem Spirit guide again. I remember getting mine in BC by stacking haste... So not sure if it will be possible in vanilla.
Otherwise. Hm.
The Grimtotem Spirit Guide (original ghost wolf) was patched in Patch 2.3, it wasn't in the game prior to that. So Classic WoW unfortunately won't have ghost wolves :(

As for me, eh probably not gonna play Classic WoW. Maybe as something if I'm really bored or if my world server is down or something? I enjoyed Classic, but there's a lot of quality of life changes I love and I do not miss lacking in Classic.

If the game is fully classic tho, I'd go get my "The Rake" again from Mulgore since he had a slightly faster attack speed (either 1.2 or 1.4, I can't remember, but fairly fast). I'd use him until I could get Broken Tooth again (1.0 Attack speed). I assume AS would be a thing again if it's truly "Classic". I won't tame 2 other pets because Classic made you go out and learn "Claw Rank 6" or "Bite Rank 4' by taming beasts, feeding them to keep them happy, until you finally learned the upgraded spell... lol

Once I did that... probably go get Rak'shiri again.

I do miss the connection I had with my pets tho. I won't be playing Classic seriously, BUT if there's some good Alterac Valley battles... well, then maybe I'll check it out lol

Bluefire
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Duskwood

Unread post by Bluefire »

Humar the Pride Lord. He was my first Cat and I still have him on my original hunter/first toon ever. <3
As for the other one/two I'd have to do some thinking because I'd be sorely tempted to go with my other "first love" and tame Old Cliff Jumper again. I remember spending weeks camping him untill I finally got him! I actually screamed in joy when I logged one and there he was :D
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Did bears have swipe back then? Seems like I ran a tank bear with swipe for aggro. That may be later though.
Keilden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zenedar

Unread post by Keilden »

Something that is not a caster pet.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

oh man, caster pets. I remember making some guildies come with me to one of the Zangarmarsh dungeons to tame a non-caster Sporebat I couldn't get anywhere else :)

I wonder what I would choose as a third pet with just vanilla? Don't remember exactly which families were tameable back then. Probably a crab or scorpion.

So boar, cat, crab.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

GormanGhaste wrote:I wonder what I would choose as a third pet with just vanilla? Don't remember exactly which families were tameable back then. Probably a crab or scorpion.
There were Bats, Bears, Boars, Carrion Birds, Cats, Crabs, Crocolisks, Gorillas, Hyenas, Owls, Raptors, Scorpids, Serpents, Spiders, Tallstriders, Turtles, Windserpents, and Wolves ... if I remember correctly.

Bears, Boars, Crabs, Crocolisks, Gorillas, Scorpids, and Turtles were Tenacity (Tank) Pets.

Bats, Carrion Birds, Owls, Serpents, Spiders, and Windserpents were Cunning (Utility) Pets.

Cats, Hyenas, Raptors, Tallstriders, and Wolves were Ferocity (DPS) Pets.

I feel a little iffy on whether I got all of the pets into the right category or not but it's been such a looong time.

Flight Rising

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Thanks Niabi. I'd probably pick a spider then, to have one of each spec. Although again, it'd be nice for all three to eat fish.

As for the second question, that's tough. None of the ones I'd pick would be available in vanilla: moth, spirit beast, water strider.
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

I never played back then for me it was BC my first hunter had a raptor loved it then I got Humar Had him for a very long time. I'll roll one but may not be sure what pet I'll take but mainly for me will be a alliance pally and Horde Lock I never got to do those quest chains for the mounts and I want too do them to experince them.