Level scaling in 7.3.5 : updating our database

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Level scaling in 7.3.5 : updating our database

Unread post by Wain »

So I'm back, and currently trying to work out the best way to update our database for 7.3.5. Could you please correct me if I'm wrong with the following?

Sites like MMO-Champion and Wowhead have lists of zones and their player level scaling, i.e.:
https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/23 ... XP-Changes#_
http://www.wowhead.com/news=277409/7-3- ... ing-levels

- So far, it seems that the level of regular NPCs in some zones is the zone/player scaling level +/- 1. So, at max. level in Mulgore I'm seeing level 19-21 creatures to tame and in regular vanilla zones (not starting zones) I'm seeing levels 59-61. Can Hunters tame regular level 21 beasts at level 20 if the zone scales to 20? I'm unsure, but I suspect so.

- Other regular beasts don't seem to vary in level at all. Like, in Desolace many (but not all) types of NPCs seem to max. out at level 60 exactly, rather than 59-61.

- Rares in zones seem to have a max of scaling level +2, but can be tamed at 2 levels lower.

- Some NPCs seem to be adjusted up or down from the regular scale. Like, Recovering Kodos in Desolace are only max. level 11 (this seems unsuaully low and may be an error!), and Aged Kodos seem to be 58-59 instead of 60. This seems weird in light of the fact the Dying Kodos are higher level than aged ones (level 61!). - I've actually reported this.

- There are occasional critter-like beasts that are lower, like Gazelles are max. level 3, regardless of zone.

- Starting areas (not starting zones, just the small area your new character begins in) seem to have a maximum level of 3.

To be determined:

- is the minimum level of regular beasts in zones equal to the zone's min. level minus 1? I noticed some beasts seem to be one level lower than the majority of zone creatures, but that was checking at max. level.

- what about raids?

It seems this isn't going to be easy to get right :/
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Level scaling in 7.3.5 : updating our database

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'll definitely try to pay attention to this come BfA when I plan to be leveling some new characters. It sure seems like a bit of a headache though, especially to sort out as a database resource. >.<
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, it's just not feasible for me to check out every last beast in the game twice: at max and at min level :(
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I'll make sure to keep an eye out on things, Wain, and report if I see anything unusual. Now, with raids, do you mean current content raids or old raids?
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Maybe just automatically generate pet level ranges based on the zone, but put an asterisk on both numbers to indicate that they are unconfirmed? You can then leave it to us to report values that need to be changed.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

GormanGhaste wrote:Maybe just automatically generate pet level ranges based on the zone, but put an asterisk on both numbers to indicate that they are unconfirmed? You can then leave it to us to report values that need to be changed.
This sounds like the best idea to me. We know what the general range is supposed to be at least, and then if any oddities pop up people can always report them as they're found. I think that might be less daunting than trying to scout out the entire bestiary in the game again.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:Maybe just automatically generate pet level ranges based on the zone, but put an asterisk on both numbers to indicate that they are unconfirmed? You can then leave it to us to report values that need to be changed.
This sounds like the best idea to me. We know what the general range is supposed to be at least, and then if any oddities pop up people can always report them as they're found. I think that might be less daunting than trying to scout out the entire bestiary in the game again.
I think that will have to be the best option! There's no possible way of getting it all correct in the first pass, but I can put up close estimates and we can refine it over time. :)
Valnaaros wrote:I'll make sure to keep an eye out on things, Wain, and report if I see anything unusual. Now, with raids, do you mean current content raids or old raids?
Thanks. I meant older raids and dungeons. I simply haven't checked if they scale the same way as the zones they're attached to, and how tameable mobs within them individually scale. Another thing we'll need to check is whether tameable boss mobs still behave the same way.