Ugliest Hunter Pets

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: Ugliest Hunter Pets

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Looking through some old pets, I gotta say that the Ravagers are in dire need of an update too. They're so pointy and lacking in polygons.

I recently bought Oddworld New n' Tasty on Steam (amazing 80% off discount yesterday), and when I was being chased by the scary Scrab monsters, I remembered the Ravagers. I thought to myself "I should go tame a Ravager again", and lo and behold I find something that is extremely low quality. I would kill to see these beasts updated in HD, because it's jarring to see them right now.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I love them, but you're right. They had a great opportunity to update them in Draenor, but instead they offered something that was obvious to everybody was an updated silithid. :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

The biggest sin of the current Ravagers and outland versions; their legs have REALLY bad bendy models. Joints in the legs are moving around like a popsicle stick moving around in molasses, the back spines look like needles just floating in the model and rotating around, and so on. It pains me to see them so poorly modeled now, since I loved them before. The WoD SILITHIDS are not Ravagers to me, and never will be (even though I like the buff one)
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Wain wrote:I love them, but you're right. They had a great opportunity to update them in Draenor, but instead they offered something that was obvious to everybody was an updated silithid. :(
I still don't understand what happened with that. Why were they not for silithids? A rose by any other name...is still a silithid. Weird things happened in WoD and opportunities were missed. I still have the vain hope that they'll correct it somehow.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Teigan wrote:
Wain wrote:I love them, but you're right. They had a great opportunity to update them in Draenor, but instead they offered something that was obvious to everybody was an updated silithid. :(
I still don't understand what happened with that. Why were they not for silithids? A rose by any other name...is still a silithid. Weird things happened in WoD and opportunities were missed. I still have the vain hope that they'll correct it somehow.
My own gut feeling (for which I have zero proof) is that they were originally designed as updated silithids but then 'repurposed' when the expansion was decided. It is known that the expansion was supposed to be something entirely different originally, but then they took a sharp turn and ended up in Draenor. My suspicion is that they had already begun work on the original idea, and had little time to prepare for the new one and so they made do with what they had - which would also explain why a bunch of key creatures from Outland were missing but they added completely left-field stuff like hippos and flower monsters. Deciding that the players would swallow the idea that the silithids were ravagers was a bad one but maybe they were desperate.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Teigan wrote:

My guess is when they were designing Outland, they were thinking, "we need to populate it with alien looking species". But when they were designing Draenor, they decided to roll that back some, and have outland ravagers having undergone mutations when the planet exploded. There were already hints that silithid were interplanetary, a la Starship Troopers, so they retconned ravagers as silithid-esque. And as Wain pointed out, they may have had an updated silithid model in the works, so that would have played into the decision heavily.
Rarako
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hakkar, Mug'thol

Unread post by Rarako »

All of the basilisks models look awful to me. Past those, I love the Tallstriders but they could really use an update, when they really started to use them as mounts and the default tauren pets I was kind of surprised they only added a new skin and not a new model. I think the shale spiders, Nether Rays, and old crocks could really use a update as well.

Many thanks to Vephriel for the amazing sig!