Ugliest Hunter Pets

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Ugliest Hunter Pets

Unread post by evil950510 »

So, Legion replaced some older pet models and BfA will replace even more; however, there are many more other eyesores in the World of Warcraft.

I'm talking about pets that inexplicably didn't get updated and now look out of place in their outdated-awfulness.

Are there any pet models that really grate with anyone when they see them around?

Lynx and bats have some of the worst textured models and are too out of date.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Ugliest Hunter Pets

Unread post by Vephriel »

Personally the monkeys are probably my least favourite pets. I just think they're hideous. *shudder*

But I also have to say, the foxes are pretty terrible looking. Considering they came out in Cata, they look like Vanilla-era models. And the coyote skeleton makes them look even more jagged with the animations.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Loque'nahak, even in WOTLK i thought it looked terrible and it's just gotten worse imo.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Lynxes, although my favorite cat is a red lynx. They used the EXACT same model as the night elf druid cat form, and even had interchangeable colors on the model in the model viewer. I can't seem to do it with the druidcat2 model, which is the most up to date model, but here's what it would look like using the previous cat upgrade;

The neck baubles can't be removed, but I can easily assume that can be changed by simply putting a blank spot on the texture. The loss of saber teeth would be acceptable in my opinion, since the current cat form has plenty enough long teeth. Just seeing it put on a better model would make me happy.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (366.68 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

The saber cats also stand out to me as really, really unfortunate- made even worse because they have some utterly gorgeous skins and markings that you can't get on any other cat except the old boxcats, who of course, also really badly need an update. We keep getting updated cat after udpated cat but not a single one has the great markings of the old ones. Heck, in Legion we didn't get markings at all. :<

I also second the mention of foxes, who are terribly angular. That said, I don't know if I fully trust a model update for them, as I love how thin their legs/snouts are and a lot of the updates are very, very chunky. Not in a bad way, but not in a thin lithe fox way.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Is the excuse for not using these still that "their mouths don't open"?

Attachments
volpin the elusive.jpg
volpin the elusive.jpg (244.99 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Why is that a problem, Porcupines don't open their mouths as far as I know? I mean some beasts never shut their mouths like the Outland Ravagers and Kodos. :| :mrgreen:

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Monkeys. Except for the hat.
Warpstalkers. They have those weird spikes coming out of their back and head. WoD would have been a great opportunity to show different varieties of Warpstalkers, including some without those spikes. My headcanon has the spiked warpstalkers and Feydragons (and Salamanders from WC3) all being offshoots from a basal giant lizard (like a Feydragon with no wings).
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Rawr wrote:Why is that a problem, Porcupines don't open their mouths as far as I know? I mean some beasts never shut their mouths like the Outland Ravagers and Kodos. :| :mrgreen:
I have no idea why it's apparently a problem. Marsuuls were put in after this, and they don't have working mouths.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Teigan wrote:Is the excuse for not using these still that "their mouths don't open"?

It's unfortunate that they didn't create more colours for this model and use them in Kul Tiras. Aesthetically, I think they're perfect for that place!

I'm not sure 'ugliest' is the right title for this thread, as being low-poly doesn't necessarily make models ugly, just outdated. To me, 'ugly' is Chimaeron, but that's meant to be ugly. For ugly and low poly/outdated I'd probably say the original bat. For ugly and modern, to me it's the new hydra, with its stubby necks.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

These make me want to vomit

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh my gosh I absolutely forgot about old basilisks, especially the weird color swaps with various crystal colors. They're just... very... very sad. And I love old basilisks.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Ummmm, yeah......
Image :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It really goes to show how subjective this is. I really love some of those old models :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

I like the terrorbird's model, I want an updated texture map is all. :| :mrgreen:

Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

Aw! I adore the Chimaeras but I will agree they are so outdated. I also like the tall screamy birds but I wish their eyes didn't look like raisins so much.

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

I really can't stand riverbeasts. WoD or BFA, I just.. think they're.. Yeah. ): haha.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Shoveltusks. ..shiver. .Im sure they have great personality but I never had one on any of my hunters when I played. .

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Tårnfalk wrote:Shoveltusks. ..shiver. .Im sure they have great personality but I never had one on any of my hunters when I played. .
This one's a good point actually. :lol: I think they're cute enough from a side profile but when I see their faces head-on....they're like weird old man human faces and I don't like them.