Petopia home page TEST

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Petopia home page TEST

Unread post by Wain »

This is a test version of the Petopia home page:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/index2.php

Please let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions or issues please post them here :)

Families are now colour-coded depending on their spec, and the exotic tag was made prettier. For ease of use (or if you have trouble distinguishing any of the colours), you can click on the buttons on the top to hide the specs you don't care about, and also hide exotics if you're not BM.

The changes were prompted by the fact that default pet specs will once again matter in BfA, so we need to make it clear which family is which spec. I didn't want to divide them up into separate lists again - I'd rather keep them in one alphabetical list, and adding spec icons to each family image made the page WAY too busy.

The appearance probably still needs a few tweaks but I'm pretty happy with how it's working. Please let me know what you think. Any suggestions are welcome :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Petopia home page TEST

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Very, very nice, Wain! Gave it a look and tried it out for a bit. I didn't find any problems with it and it was easy to understand and use :)
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Mouse over on the Updraft skill says Rylak. Other than that looks great, like how I can see by spec, good job Wain :D :mrgreen:

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Really love this format and the sorting buttons, the colours are nice to see and differentiate and a glance, and I especially like the Exotic icons now, obvious but not in the way. :) Great job!
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Suggestion, put the spec ability(s) above or bellow the button so people know what spec gives you what or have a mouse over for it. :D :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks folks! That's good feedback and I'm glad you generally like it. I'll work on issues. It seems to be showing formatting issues on phone browsers, at least on iPhone, which I'll work on first. I think I'll also remove colouring from the family names (so just leave the borders coloured) to reduce the carnival effect a little ;)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rawr wrote:Mouse over on the Updraft skill says Rylak. Other than that looks great, like how I can see by spec, good job Wain :D :mrgreen:
I can't see where you mean about mousing over the updraft skill. Where do you see that?

The idea of having the spec details on mouse-over of the spec buttons is great, though. I'll definitely add that. Should I give a lot of details, do you think? Or just generally what each spec is about?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've made some updates that should show better formatting on phones - at least on iPhone, anyway, I can't test on Android, but I'd appreciate it if someone could :)

I've also changed the family names to be much darker and less saturated, so they're less distracting when you're scanning through the names alphabetically.

I've also changed the icon borders to have a subtle gradient effect. It makes the borders less flat, but I'm still undecided if I like it.

What do you think? :)
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

still think the borders are a little too desaturated, almost makes it difficult to discern the colors between them.
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Wain wrote:
Rawr wrote:Mouse over on the Updraft skill says Rylak. Other than that looks great, like how I can see by spec, good job Wain :D :mrgreen:
I can't see where you mean about mousing over the updraft skill. Where do you see that?
Image :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rawr wrote:
Wain wrote:
Image :mrgreen:
Oh, I see!, thanks. I was confused since it's not about the test page, but it's handy to know that needs fixing too :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Talihawk wrote:still think the borders are a little too desaturated, almost makes it difficult to discern the colors between them.
Maybe I changed them too much then. :/. Were they good enough before my latest changes? I really don't want to make them more colourful than they were a day ago
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

It looks really good to me :D only thing which confuses me is when i click on a pet family lets say ferocity, then it culls those out instead of showing only ferocity. If I want only ferocity pets i have to click the other four families. Also the exotic only one is broken.. no pets is showed

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Tårnfalk wrote:It looks really good to me :D only thing which confuses me is when i click on a pet family lets say ferocity, then it culls those out instead of showing only ferocity. If I want only ferocity pets i have to click the other four families.
Think of them like switches - they're all turned 'on' to start with, so if you just want ferocity, turn off the other families so that ferocity's left on by itself. :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Heh yeah I got it now :) the exotic switch don't work though ;)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: stormrage

Unread post by ilixirshy »

Vephriel wrote:
Tårnfalk wrote:It looks really good to me :D only thing which confuses me is when i click on a pet family lets say ferocity, then it culls those out instead of showing only ferocity. If I want only ferocity pets i have to click the other four families.
Think of them like switches - they're all turned 'on' to start with, so if you just want ferocity, turn off the other families so that ferocity's left on by itself. :)

switches- thats exactly how i saw them in my head the first time around now for whatever reason ive got a hand game of ddr instead :shock:

signature by spiritbinder
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

also the exotic button does work, u just need to pick a spec first. in ur picture u have all three specs off so the exotics arent showing

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I admit I didn't know what the switches were. My impression was they were to explain what the colored borders on the family icons were and I thought it was a little awkward, cause it was still alphabetical and the color groups were all out of order and I didn't know clicking them did anything and sorted the families so that the borders actually made sense...I dunno...I obviously misunderstood things. But I'm kinda dense sometimes, so I'm probably the only one that didn't get it. But it's an excellent idea.
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

u dont randomly click on things? =p

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

If I hadn't read this thread, my first guess on the buttons were that they were just a color key. If they had a white check-mark in the middle of the circle, or if the title was something like "select pet families by spec" it might be more apparent. I expect I would have eventually figured it out when I happened to mouseover them and they glowed.

If there were checkmarks or something like them, then "Exotic" could be a 3 way switch: "all", "no exotics", and "exotic only".