Karkin's new skin

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
evilbreed

Karkin's new skin

Unread post by evilbreed »

Karkin does not look like what he used to nor does he look like an updated version of that. Not sure if it's a bug or something but he's like a teal looking color or something i'm not sure. Hopefully this isn't his real new look otherwise i'm never using it. Also when checking on petopia it shows him using an updated version of his old skin but if you tame him this is what you get live.
Attachments
karkin.jpg
karkin.jpg (169.51 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: Karkin's new skin

Unread post by Teigan »

Yes, it's a bug. They know about it and intend to fix it, but it is not known when that will happen
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Nanluin »

Teigan wrote:Yes, it's a bug. They know about it and intend to fix it, but it is not known when that will happen
How do we know that this is a bug, and that they intend to fix it?

I'm really missing the shiny chrome look of my "Gem Crab", but I can understand changing him to a Molten Front styled, volcanic Onyx. That also puts him more in theme with his partner, Skarr.

I cannot, however, understand at all this horrible looking little aqua blue crab that I have in my stable now for him. Blech! PLease, Blizzard, give me a "Gem Crab" again, either old or new model!

-- Nanluin
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

I read here that it was, but now that you question it, I don't recall who said it or what the source was. Also, don't google "karkin skin bug" You'll regret it.
Lamiara
Realm: EU- Moonglade, Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Lamiara »

why would this be considered a bug, and all the other now completely unrecognisable pet skins are not?

To replace something shiny blue with dull black and something silvery white with dull brown is not a bug.
It's an intentional change. Unless they mean to say that the "artists" in charge of these changes are all colorblind.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Wain wrote:
Ðune wrote:Sorry if this doesn't go here or if it's already been mentioned.

On the new look "Diamond" crab, there's a note that says "Untameable look : this look is not known from a tameable creature." I have that pet - it's the new skin for "Karkin" from the Molten Front. Hope this helps! :)
Yeah that's a temporary glitch, but I should put a note on it to explain that.
If anyone would know if it were a bug not a choice, it would be Wain. He's said it was accidental.
Last edited by Teigan on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Lamiara wrote:Unless they mean to say that the "artists" in charge of these changes are all colorblind.
In defence of us colourblind people.. even WE wouldn't choose those ugly muddy colours.
I suspect the "artists in charge" may have been entirely blind, never mind colourblind.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

...just pointing this out though...the person(s) in charge of making the new crab skin colors (The Artists) might not be the same people who assign the skins to mobs...

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I had feedback from Muffinus himself that it was a bug that would be addressed in a later patch. He said the same of the missing transparencies and they're already fixed.

In the case of this crab there was very clearly a new skin that it was meant to be swapped to (matching file names between new and old), but someone made a mistake. The same is probably the case with the Lava Scarab that went from red to green. In the latter case it's almost certainly because the green scarab skin is called UldumScarabSkinRed ('red' referring to the pair of spots on its back), while the red beetle skin is called SilithidScarabSkinRed. A simple selection error. In this latter case, the correct update/replacement skin was a really poor design that looks bears no resemblance to the original at all. But it was still clearly what was intended.

In the case of the others you've mentioned, mostly the intended replacement skins are just poor replacements. But you can still discern intent from the matching file names between new and old. And so they are what they are - not mistakes, just bad replacements. In the case of a few others there were NO replacement skins that matched by colour or file name, but they went ahead and replaced them with anything that was unused. The white windserpent falls into this category. Again, I assume this was intended, and I guess they judged it was more important to use the new models than have the creatures look anything like the originals.

On the bright side, I can say that they do intend to add some NPCs that use the older models / skins for those who prefer them. I don't know how long this may take.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lamiara

Unread post by Lamiara »

Sukurachi wrote:
Lamiara wrote:Unless they mean to say that the "artists" in charge of these changes are all colorblind.
In defence of us colourblind people.. even WE wouldn't choose those ugly muddy colours.
I suspect the "artists in charge" may have been entirely blind, never mind colourblind.
:lol:

no offense to anyone with colorblindness.
I don't know how it works exactly. Maybe they threw darts on a board to decide which model would be replaced by what.

I am very frustrated losing my white (and the blue) windserpent, although-
It wouldn't have made a big difference even if they had chosen the right colors, because the new model is far too muscled and derpy for my liking. It looks like it hit the gym for a decade all of a sudden.
It's a whole different creature now.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Flying things need strong, sturdy muscles. Look at bird anatomy. Or even hypothetical dragons and how they would need to look to be functional. I would post an example, but some people might find anatomical sketches upsetting, so I won't. But there are plenty of good illustrations without having to look at actual dissections. Anyway, birds. They are surprisingly buff underneath the feathers. They only look sleek because of those feathers. Windserpents have never had feathered bodies which would hide the musculature, so they look more appropriate to me now that they look like they could actually fly. I do take issue with how short the wings are and the fact that they all have rattles, but that's another rant. Overall, I like them quite a bit better. Blizzard rarely if ever gets anatomy right, so, something being a little more believable is actually kinda nice.
whuumper
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by whuumper »

Sure ,wish either old color or new would be restored by now...
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Nanluin »

Wain wrote:I had feedback from Muffinus himself that it was a bug that would be addressed in a later patch. He said the same of the missing transparencies and they're already fixed.

In the case of this crab there was very clearly a new skin that it was meant to be swapped to (matching file names between new and old), but someone made a mistake.
My thanks for the reply, Wain.

-- Nanluin
Boven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

The poor fella. In that screenshot, he just seems to look like he's saying "What the heck happened to me??"

For now, I'll keep Hutch (the crab formerly known as Karkin) in the stable with Starsky, his gem kitty pal.
Lamiara

Unread post by Lamiara »

Teigan wrote:Flying things need strong, sturdy muscles. Look at bird anatomy. Or even hypothetical dragons and how they would need to look to be functional.
This is correct and would apply if windserpents were supposed to be entirely physical animals.

However, they are taken from mythology. Winged serpents, or amphiteres, are a kind of dragon and just like most dragons (especially the ancient ones, which were mostly aquatic, huge serpents- before the big, blocky, winged firelizard became en vogue in the west), they are supposed to fly through magical means. This is why many dragon species don't even have/need wings.
We even have dragons like that in WoW, the cloud serpents, arcane serpents, and arcane wyrms.

This is why I like the original model better. It flies through magic, thus there is no need for a huge, muscled torso.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

But if it flies through magic, why does it need wings at all? Why not give it functional wings and say it actually flies? And I know they're inspired by mythology, but I don't think they're magical animals in the game. I could also argue they're inspired by Alaspinian Minidrags, which are decidedly not magic
Lamiara

Unread post by Lamiara »

There are many different ways to argue about this, but the main point won't change:

the original model looked very different.
Some may prefer the new one, I liked the old one more.

If they had added new versions to tame without changing existing pets, no one would have complained.
That's a recurring theme with all the "new" stuff that removes options instead of adding more.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Lamiara wrote:There are many different ways to argue about this, but the main point won't change:

the original model looked very different.
Some may prefer the new one, I liked the old one more.

If they had added new versions to tame without changing existing pets, no one would have complained.
That's a recurring theme with all the "new" stuff that removes options instead of adding more.
Agreed. You're no more right to me than I am right to you. :)

I like the new one more, other than the stupid rattle.

But I don't agree with leaving old models in. The game needs to move forward, and I'd like to see everything modernized, even if I don't always like the results.
Sidonwy

Unread post by Sidonwy »

I think the evolution and origin of the windserpent species could be fascinating. I can picture a scholarly hunter or druid or shaman making a study of it, complete with a copy of the published article seconded to scholarly libraries all over Azeroth, as an rp topic. But whether the windserpents rely on magic or muscle, it's still perfectly reasonable to have a preference or attachment to one version of the model over another. That shouldn't be problematic.

I'm glad some people are enjoying the new models. That's a very good thing. But for me personally, it's caused a little cognitive dissonance that my hunters' white and blue windserpents and red hyena don't look like themselves. I had the same trouble when the player character models changed, because their appearances were part of their identity, part of how I conceptualized them. That continuity and then the loss of control as choices I had made were undone by the devs has an effect on my attachment even if that's in contrast to technical improvements or divergent opinions. But that doesn't mean any of the opinions are wrong. Just that some people will be happy with a change, while others will adapt however quickly, or find that they've hit their limit and leave.

Sorry for the hijack! I don't have Karkin tamed, but goodness, I sure have feelings on the topic of updating models. :(