Old-style beetle still in my stables!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Bashkarr
Realm: Madoran, Wyrmrest Accord

Old-style beetle still in my stables!

Unread post by Bashkarr »

So I was browsing my stables today, and I noticed this fellow hasn't changed over to the new look! I don't even remember where he came from/which mob he used to be-- he used to be the beetle that was smaller than normal and had a black shadow-smoke effect trailing around after him. I don't think he was a 'trick' tame, just a mob that, at the time, had a glitchy appearance. He's bigger now, but still has the effect! It seems he escaped the new beetle re-model and retains his classic look-!

Streaky bug!

Does anyone remember what mob he was or even if that mob is still in the game somewhere? Would love to see if it still exists in the wild with this skin!

(Unless I'm being completely dense about this and beetles haven't had their models updated yet, even though my hyenas have >.>)
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Re: Old-style beetle still in my stables!

Unread post by Thwip »

I don't know which mob that used to be, but I do know beetles have been updated. I have the rare from Hillsbrad on an alt and it's been updated! Maybe someone with a better memory can help out! I do remember the 'smaller then usual' beetle tame though. Perhaps it was one out of AQ?

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

IIRC, that beetle is a spawn from a boss or mob in Naxx, I would guess the first boss in the spider wing. It has a special effect on it (the black streaking) and it has an unusual spawn (triggered by an ability) so it was intentionally or accidentally skipped in the model update.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Anub'arak? I remember his beetles. Interesting they got missed!
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Anub'arak's summons, yep. Looks like they didn't upgrade the skin. Did they make them untameable?
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Bashkarr

I'm going to go find out right now if they can still be tamed :3. I'll report back shortly!

Update: They come from Anub'Rekhan in Naxxramas. You'll have to aggro him by walking into his face and just let him hit you until he summons a Crypt Guard. Kill the Guard, then poke Anub gently to get him to phase (it took me one auto attack and be careful because he's extra squishy). The corpse scarabs that spawn from the dead Guard are the pet you want-- yes they're still tameable, yes they keep the old skin, and yes they still retain their shadow-streak effect! They'll also stay up after Anub has been killed, so you can down him to avoid his impale interrupting your tame and tame your pick from the pack of beetles left over.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Bashkarr on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oh that's so cool! Thanks so much for reporting it :). I'll update the database later.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

The streaking effect is probably part of the model and isn't like an appearance buff, which would mean it's actually its own model. I wouldn't be surprised if it got skipped since it's used for some spells as well (usually Nerubians throwing frickin scarabs at you).

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've unretired that appearance:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... bskinblack

It's so good to see it back :) It was so much shinier and more metallic than the new offering. I hope it stays.

Thanks again for reporting it :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Bashkarr

Wow, thank you! I'm super stoked to have been able to contribute to the community somehow. <3 I hope anyone who was missing this handsome critter can go reclaim it! Now, if only my beloved crimson hyena would make such a surprise reappearance XD
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I believe this was reported a few months ago in the Beta, though it wasn't expected to stick around due to the model updates. But it looks like that they missed it :)
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm hoping they leave this one alone. It's not hurting anything (afaik), and it's cool to still have an older one around for those that want it. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

Wow!! This is awesome. I really hope this never gets fixed. Going to try this tame very soon! ^^

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Bashkarr

Just to be thorough, I check the other beast mobs that share this guy's model ID as listed by Wowhead-- all are untamable (and a few you can't even target/mouseover), leaving the Anub'Rekhan encounter the only place to tame them.