Great time for taming!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SilverFox2642
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Great time for taming!

Unread post by SilverFox2642 »

Hello! I haven't posted here before, but really wanted to let you guys know that right now, during pre-patch, is a perfect time to go grab those rares. I wanted to share my own experience so much that I made a forum registration so I could pass it along, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Since BM can now officially have two distinct pets, I decided I wanted a second Loque'nahak. I know, I'm a glutton for punishment, right? Well, on day 2 I logged in, flew around the zone, and there he was. What you need to know is that my first tame for this beautiful cat was definitely a fluke, I stumbled on him while questing in Sholazar Basin years ago, when it was new, tamed him, and didn't figure out how hard he was to get until later. Since that time, I had never seen him in the wild.

Until yesterday! What luck!

Thinking maybe nobody was really pet hunting right now, I tried to find a second Sambas, too, since he's my favorite pet model in the whole game. Lo and behold, day 2, I logged in and he was wandering around below where I had logged out.

Rather than keep this goodness to myself, I thought I'd pass it on! Good luck, friends!

*edit - I should mention, I tried to find another Loque over the years for other hunters I'd created, with no luck. I think I might take them to the Basin, too.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: Great time for taming!

Unread post by Teigan »

Congrats on your lovely tames! :)
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Nanluin »

I agree with the OP wholeheartedly. I returned to the game after a long (2012-2018) hiatus at the beginning of July, and I have had a grand time finding and re-taming all of those unique-skinned rares that I had previously let go due to stable space considerations. Now, with 60 stable slots and 5 actives slots, I can get back all the pets that I had before, and then add more as I explore new areas and level my hunter to the new maximum (I chose not to boost my Main). It's been great fun!

I was especially pleased to see the addition of Lightning Paw to a very old Classic zone, Darkshire, and to make him one of the new Hunter taming challenges too. I hope that they do more of that, in future patches. It makes me smile that Blizzard found a way to get around NPCscan rare-hunting (which did make it easy-mode) by making the new taming challenges very stealthy (including the Weaponized Rabbot, which is a hilarious Monty Python reference).

My only complaint thus far is that the "footprints" for the Mists of Pandaria taming challenges are *impossible* for me to see, and I have a new (2018) machine: not a top-notch gaming machine, but good. I've given up on trying to track them by the footprints and end up camping the turn-around points on their known paths. This works (I've gotten Glimmer and Hexapos this way), but as camping is boring work, it would be more fun to look for and follow tracks.

-- Nanluin
Last edited by Nanluin on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Did you try turning off ground clutter completely to see the tracks? If you have it set high, it's probably hiding them. Displaying them shouldn't be a problem. Even my girlfriend's old potato was able to display tracks.
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nanluin »

Teigan wrote:Did you try turning off ground clutter completely to see the tracks? If you have it set high, it's probably hiding them. Displaying them shouldn't be a problem. Even my girlfriend's old potato was able to display tracks.
I have ground clutter turned all the way down, but I do play visually impaired (legally blind), so I sometimes have trouble noticing small objects, especially when the contrast is low. Interactive object highlighting has been a godsend to my ability to play the game. Three questions about these footprints:

1) How long do they linger? seconds? minutes? tens of minutes?

2) How big are they on the ground? I've looked online for a screenshot showing them in context, but haven't come across anything.

3) Does object highlighting work on them? I'm assuming not, as they are not interactive objects.

My thanks,

-- Nanluin
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

I can understand how that would be a problem. There is a definite lack of contrast with some of them. I think the easiest to see are Portent and Stompy, at least for most of their path. I went and looked for tracks and took some screenshots of Portent and Savage's tracks. Savage would be a real problem anywhere around Forest's Heart as far as contrast, but otherwise they stood out fairly well. Portent's tracks are clear, except in the sha areas.

Anyway, your questions:
1. The tracks linger for I would say minutes.
2. That depends on the rare, I believe. I have never seen Hexapos' tracks, but I have heard they're quite small. Portent and Savage's were about the same size, though
3. Object highlighting does not work on them.

Attachments
portent and savage.jpg
portent and savage.jpg (194.51 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nanluin »

Teigan wrote:I went and looked for tracks and took some screenshots of Portent and Savage's tracks. Savage would be a real problem anywhere around Forest's Heart as far as contrast, but otherwise they stood out fairly well. Portent's tracks are clear, except in the sha areas.
Thanks so much for the effort and game-time that you took on my behalf. It's appreciated.

Best regards,

-- Nanluin