Taming Bonescreamer and the bugfest that followed

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Osica
Realm: Eredar

Taming Bonescreamer and the bugfest that followed

Unread post by Osica »

So I just attempted and successfully tamed Bonescreamer, a black ravasaur in Xibalba that's the target of a skinning quest. It isn't listed at all on the Petopia page for the black coloration, and may need to be added?

This is the quest listed on WoWHead:

https://www.wowhead.com/quest=51575/los ... -forgotten

HOWEVER

It is a buggy mess of a thing. After successfully taming the raptor it retained the gold quest-target outline until the raptor respawned. Once I'd killed the target the outline disappeared. But after I returned to the city the raptor itself vanished. No matter how I tried to summon it (either as a hotkey or through the whistle listing all party pets, returning it to the stable and removing it, relogging to the select screen and all the way out of game) nothing worked, and the game treated me as though I had an active pet (I couldn't summon a new one till I dismissed, and the first pet in my stable appeared with my talent choice, but it doesn't appear when it's the first pet in my stable).

I submitted a very bewildered bug report.

tl;dr there's a critter that might need to be added to the Petopia page as tamable but dang I dunno if its worth it.

Hope this is the right place for this sort of thing and that anyone found it helpful. Good luck in BfA!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Taming Bonescreamer and the bugfest that followed

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks for that report! :)

Wow, it really does sound like a mess. It probably should be unflagged. :/
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

One thing to test: empty your game cache. Sometimes things like this happen when you have a corrupted cache.
Osica

Unread post by Osica »

Thanks! It's good advice, I'll give it a test when I get home and see if that clears it up.
Glassdragon
Realm: US - Stormrage

Unread post by Glassdragon »

I read that this raptor is actually still there, but just invisible. Have you tried attacking anything like a target dummy?
If this is the case, it might not be a good idea to have this pet because I am sure people will exploit it in pvp.
Osica

Unread post by Osica »

Glassdragon wrote:I read that this raptor is actually still there, but just invisible. Have you tried attacking anything like a target dummy?
If this is the case, it might not be a good idea to have this pet because I am sure people will exploit it in pvp.
I don't believe it's invisible, since a health bar doesn't even come up, or I'd have just abandoned the darn thing. I tested it in combat and nothing, I don't think its there. Or at least in any capacity to attack.

I also emptied the cache and its still bugged.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

I believe this is because this mob is solely phased to people who have Skinning. I completed the quest before I heard of the bug, ran back, and Bonescreamer doesn't appear for me. My guess is a designer made it so only Skinners could see this mob, and now there are issues because of it.

A shame on both sides, because it's a pretty model that's now lost to those who did the quest forever.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Unread post by Darknez »

I've grabbed one and stored it in the stable - just in case ;)
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Dialga wrote:I believe this is because this mob is solely phased to people who have Skinning. I completed the quest before I heard of the bug, ran back, and Bonescreamer doesn't appear for me. My guess is a designer made it so only Skinners could see this mob, and now there are issues because of it.

A shame on both sides, because it's a pretty model that's now lost to those who did the quest forever.
Isn't it the same as a few others in the area? Or am I misunderstanding?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, there's a bunch of tameable ravasaurs that come in black.

I've reported this one because there's a chance it could be exploited. But even if it can't be exploited it's clearly extremely buggy and could cause real issues for an unwitting tamer.