Zandalari Pets & Tameability Rate

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Zandalari Pets & Tameability Rate

Unread post by Acherontia »

Just wondering, why is such a high percentage of the Zandalari animal population untameable? I'd have assumed all examples of a tameable family should, unless the animal has good reason, be tameable. But the VAST majority of raptors, saurids, devilsaurs, pterrordaxes, even direhorns etc that I come across (yes, I do have the book), are not tameable.

Was this deliberate for some reason, or an oversight that could potentially be fixed? It's kinda crazy having to go on a mad hunt for a certain skin when it exists all around, and feels... weirdly unimmersive.

Also, there's--for example--SIX examples of this skin in the wild, but none are tameable?

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... dax2_black

Anyone know what's up? I wasn't around for the beta so I have no idea if it was on purpose. Note, I'm not complaining or anything (maybe it's just "these animals are really hard to make into your friend") but maybe it could get looked at regardless? It'd be nice to tame the black ones and some of the animals like--"hungry saurid" etc you'd think'd be easy to lure in with food... :lol:
Schlimazel
Realm: Mal'Ganis

Re: Zandalari Pets & Tameability Rate

Unread post by Schlimazel »

I honestly don't know what's up with some of the beasts being untamable. How can they add all those new frog models for the expansion and not have one of them tamable?
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

People on the forums have mentioned that the final taming pass never actually went out and so there are loads of oversights for pets that should be tameable but aren't. I'm hoping they'll fix it in 8.1 or something, because, now you've said it, the lack of tameable creatures in Zandalar and co. does ruin the immersion.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Ahhh, I hadn't seen that! Thanks, that does explain a lot :)
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

No problem! :) now it's just time to keep our fingers crossed for a future patch to give us that taming pass we need :')
magepower13
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Unread post by magepower13 »

I've gotten to the point where I just put in a bug report for every single one I find like this. Right now it just feels super arbitrary which ones are and are not tameable. My main complaint is with the dark teal Sea Eel model; it's only on 2 mobs in Stormsong Valley and neither is tameable. It's annoying, but at least I can still enjoy the Green variant.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

A couple months ago, Muffinus asked for a list of beasts that were not tamable, but should be. That list was posted on the forums shortly after, so hopefully we can see some changes by 8.1 :)
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Wait, weren't you Mania? My WOTLK nostalgia feels brought back by your icon :?:
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Me? No, but I was around for ages x) Can't take her glory!!

That's great news, Valnaaros! I really do hope to see the black/red skyscreamer available at some point, too.

I've tamed a couple of them and didn't expect to love them this much. They're big, flappy, goofy and beautiful. Their eyes have incredible attention to detail and if you watch closely, flick about and actually blink. Fantastic, loveable dragony-guys!
Phantazya
Realm: US - Whisperwind

Unread post by Phantazya »

What I don’t understand at this point in the history of the game why they wouldn’t make every beast tamale and why they go through so much effort making it so the beasts you do tame don’t keep their appearances especially if the appearance does not effect its damage and is clearly a visual addition. Wouldn’t it be easier to just leave them as they are when they are tamed? The whole process of reverting pets to a different look once tamed seems to cause so much more problems than leaving them alone. And wouldn’t the programmers be able to not have to fix so much if they weren’t so busy trying to alter appearance only buffed animals and automatically made every beast tamable in the first place? Like who really cares if the bear is glowy just so it doesn’t do extra damage if it does then just change that part once it is tamed to be null. Etc, to me they waste more time trying to prevent us from having special looks than caring that it doesn’t matter if they look that way. If it is a beast let it be tamed and let it look cool. Quit trying to control everything and let us be hunters.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

What/where *is* the list of untameables, anyway?

I'd like to make sure that everything I might have passed by are on there. Including ones that may just be wishful thinking, but I don't see why they aren't tameable (I.E. Skyscreamers and Zhevras).
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Kurasu wrote:What/where *is* the list of untameables, anyway?
There's no master list of untameables, though this would be a good approximation of Kul Tiras and Zandalar ones:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/search.php?s ... ly=&tame=2

Aside from the ones that aren't tameable for obvious reasons (friendly, etc.) I think most of them just got missed because they ran out of time. There will be another taming pass in an upcoming patch, though I can't say when.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

I wasn't sure, because Valnaaros said:
A couple months ago, Muffinus asked for a list of beasts that were not tamable, but should be. That list was posted on the forums shortly after, so hopefully we can see some changes by 8.1 :)
.... so I was wondering about it.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I'm abit out of the loop cause my druid is my main this xpac but I was disappointed to see the undead dino's are classified as humanoid :( The t-rex especially are amazing

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

As I posted on another thread, here's a bulk list of things that are untameable currently, but I think are good candidates for taming:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/tamecheck.php

It's too big to just paste here.

I omitted anything that is (i) friendly to both factions, (ii) friendly to one faction and in an area (city, town) belonging to that faction, (iii) clearly meant to be some other NPC's pet or under their command, (iv) part of a boss fight, (v) part of Island Expeditions (maybe this won't be an issue but I'm unsure).
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Great work! :)

Are any of the 'minor mobs' (the ones with the lower HP and the paler bars) tameable at all? It may be worth separating those out as well (I'm not sure of the term for them).
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Kurasu wrote:Great work! :)

Are any of the 'minor mobs' (the ones with the lower HP and the paler bars) tameable at all? It may be worth separating those out as well (I'm not sure of the term for them).
Oh, I didn't even look at that aspect. I just included them all.