Feeding Pets-food on the action bar

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
datgrl
Realm: Alexstrasza

Feeding Pets-food on the action bar

Unread post by datgrl »

Hi - long time lurker here. I have used the site for many years but rarely post. Thanks so much for keeping up with all the hunter pet news.

With the new expansion I have a question about feeding pets. It's been so long since I had to worry about it. A long, long time ago, it seems like you could feed them cooked food. Now it seems I can only use vendor food or raw food. Is that correct? I also tried to drag some meat in my bag onto the action bar so I could bind a key to it. It was a no go. I could put other things on the intended location but just not the stack 'stringy loin' I was intending to use as food. Is that working as intended or is it a bug? It would sure be nice to just be able to hit a couple of keys to feed my pet.
Sarynotsorry
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Dalaran

Re: Feeding Pets-food on the action bar

Unread post by Sarynotsorry »

You can make a macro like this - just replace family names with what you use and food names with what they eat. It seems that every animal will have either meat or fruit in their diet.

/cast [combat] Mend Pet; [nocombat] Feed Pet
/use [pet:Cat/Spirit Beast/hyena/lizard/Spider/toad/dog/Raptor/silithid, nocombat] Honey-Glazed Ham; [pet:turtle/gorilla/crab/scalehide/stag/water strider, nocombat] Dried Mango

I had one where I added a condition for reviving dead pets but it will not work reliably if the pet is despawned after dying so I just use a separate key for that now.
Sarynotsorry
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

I think there’s also a macro to feed from specific backpack slots but I’m not sure what it is and most people use addons that sort bags nowadays, so it wouldn’t be very reliable.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

The tooltip on Beast Lore now shows Meat (Raw) and Meat (Cooked) so it may vary by pet?
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Pet food can be a bit wonky. A substantial amount of vendor food is not consider edible by pets anymore, so buy just a little first to make sure. As far as cooked vs raw, I honestly hadn't noticed that. None of the pets have with me right now make that distinction. I'll have to check out my stabled ones! But so far, my fish and meat eating pets eat Seasoned Loins and Grilled Catfish that I made just fine.
datgrl

Unread post by datgrl »

Thanks for all the great info! One last question - I made some cobalt bolts to feed the Sabertron I tamed. It seems that food is too low. Is there anywhere I can buy the food he would eat? My Engineer is usually one of the last alts I level. I wish the trash we got as drops would work as food. It would sure simplify things. Would the ore work that we get from scrapping?
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

I never have figured out where to get food for mechs. I kinda gave up. I'd love to know also.

And mushrooms. Can anyone tell me where to get mushrooms for a 120 pet? The humongous fungus don't work any more as they are too low level, and I never did find any mushrooms that were able to be used as pet food in Legion. The vendor food that was mushrooms was never considered food by my pets.
datgrl

Unread post by datgrl »

I don't know about mushrooms but the trade goods vendor in Boralus had some cheese that worked for my bee. Silly me, I thought the honey I got as a drop would work but it doesn't.
Sarynotsorry
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Teigan wrote:I never have figured out where to get food for mechs. I kinda gave up. I'd love to know also.

And mushrooms. Can anyone tell me where to get mushrooms for a 120 pet? The humongous fungus don't work any more as they are too low level, and I never did find any mushrooms that were able to be used as pet food in Legion. The vendor food that was mushrooms was never considered food by my pets.
I’m 98% sure that any pet who will eat fungus will also eat fruit or meat.
datgrl

Unread post by datgrl »

Or cheese. I found a vendor in Boralus that sells it. I haven't checked around The Seal on my Horde hunter, yet. I bought some Wild Berries from the cooking vendor and it's not usable.

I was having some issues with the macro but I found them and fixed it. It's awesome! Thanks for all the help.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Sarynotsorry wrote:
Teigan wrote:I never have figured out where to get food for mechs. I kinda gave up. I'd love to know also.

I’m 98% sure that any pet who will eat fungus will also eat fruit or meat.
Not all of them. http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=rodent

Rodents only eat fungus.
Elynix
Realm: Kirin Tor US

Unread post by Elynix »

https://www.wowhead.com/item=142266/handful-of-gizmos !! I knew this one! Lol I had to kill a bunch of things over on the MEchanical Island in Dustwallow Marsh and ended up with a couple stacks, Mechanical Pets love them!
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Teigan wrote: Not all of them. http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=rodent

Rodents only eat fungus.
That's weird, I thought rodents only ate fruit, did it get changed somewhere? :mrgreen:

Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Gonya wrote:
https://www.wowhead.com/item=142266/handful-of-gizmos !! I knew this one! Lol I had to kill a bunch of things over on the MEchanical Island in Dustwallow Marsh and ended up with a couple stacks, Mechanical Pets love them!
I did get some of that and it said it was too low level for my pet :(
Rawr wrote:
Teigan wrote: Not all of them. http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=rodent

Rodents only eat fungus.
That's weird, I thought rodents only ate fruit, did it get changed somewhere? :mrgreen:
Maybe they needed more protein in their diets ;)
Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elynix
Realm: Kirin Tor US

Unread post by Elynix »

Teigan wrote:
Gonya wrote:
Odd, I'm sorry. D:
Slapperfish wrote:Wait, people still use Feed Pet? >_>
I thought this too, until I discovered it's amazing for out of combat/between fights.
Crelam
Realm: Deathwing

Unread post by Crelam »

Teigan wrote:
Gonya wrote:
There are Ghost Iron Bolts that level 110 mechanical pets could eat. This is the highest level mechanical pet food I could find in Legion, however now that we are 120 that food is too low level.

I tried the new engineering reagents off of the BfA Vendors and found that Insulated Wiring counts as a Mechanical Pet food, however it is also too low level.

Hypothesis: They intended the Insulated Wiring to be the new mechanical pet food since engineers haven't been able to make trade-able parts in several expansions but when they copied the code over they forgot to raise the level.

Also, during my experimentation with Feed Pet back in Legion I noticed that Mechanical Pets healed for only a fraction of the normal Feed Pet amount. I do not know if this is because Ghost Iron bolts are on the lower level range that mechs can eat, or if its simply a drawback of the mechanical family that they don't heal as easily as their flesh/blood/spirit counterparts.