Trouble taming a space cat

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Snowwalker
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Suramar

Trouble taming a space cat

Unread post by Snowwalker »

I just managed ARgus, and was trying to tame one of the cats there. I know you have to freeze it, feign to drop aggro, then drop some sweet fresh talbuk steak to win them over. I've tried a couple times now, but it doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone throw some suggestions my way? Do I need to stay out of aggro range? It doesn't seem the meat will throw that far. I try to tame as soon as I've put the meat down on it, but it's still saying it's phasing. As hard as that meat is to come by, it's rather frustrating. Thanks all.

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Trouble taming a space cat

Unread post by Falcon »

Hey there, I'm sorry you're having trouble taming a panthara. Do you have Camouflage chosen as a talent? It's vital to have since you need to be in stealth while throwing the meat at the space kitty you're looking to tame. Also, most of the posts fail to mention that you have a better chance if you attempt to tame while behind a panthara in order to reduce chances of re-aggro. And, out of curiosity, do you try taming as soon as you throw the meat? There's a tiny window of chance after you throw the meat, and from experience, I learned that the best time to hit tame is right when you hear the splat noise of the meat landing. And it's vital to throw the meat on top of the panthara, around the chest/shoulders being the best place. Also, make sure that freeze trap and camouflage are both off cooldown.

As for distance, here's a pic I took of when I tamed one of my kitties on my current main:

Unfortunately, this was taken right as the tame went off, but my character is standing at what I found was a safe distance to not be aggroed. Another tip is to make a target/tame macro, like this:

/tar Panthara Shadowfang
/cast Tame Beast

And if you can, put everything on your bar in this order:
1. Freeze Trap
2. Feign Death
3. Camouflage
4. Fresh Talbuk Meat
5. Tame Beast or your target/tame macro button.

If there's no room on either of your primary or secondary bars in your main spec, you can switch to a different spec (I switched to Survival) to set everything up, and/or to pick Camouflage so you don't have to waste a Tome of the Clear Mind. Also, if you make a target/tame macro and plan on getting more than one panthara, remember to change the mob's name in your macro before attempting to tame the second panthara otherwise it will botch and not target the kitty.

Good luck! :)
Attachments
Tamedistance.jpg
Tamedistance.jpg (520.59 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Last edited by Falcon on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: Trouble taming a space cat

Unread post by Teigan »

Make sure you have the panthera targeted when you throw the meat.