New family?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qildaer
Realm: Tyrande

New family?

Unread post by Qildaer »

I don't know if someone asked the same but recently i visited that Drust Druid, Ulfar in Drustvar and noticed that i had a possible conversation with him about animals with plant parts (the ones that witches use i suppose). He answers kinda angrily or annoyed that I only want another pet (that's completely true anyways) and that ends the conversation. Could it be that we will get those amazing and scary Wolf-like wooden animals as pets at certain point in this expansion (like griffins in Legion) or at least that kultiran hunters get them?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: New family?

Unread post by Wain »

It's not impossible it'll happen :) Xota brought up something about that a while back. (I haven't seen her on lately, I hope she's ok!). They aren't really beasts, just beast-like undead or animated black magic things. More like golems than animals. That's not to say they wouldn't be considered, though. We did get animal-shaped mechanicals after all :)

The one thing I can say is that there's no new family for them in the database. If they were added we'd definitely see that first.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qildaer
Realm: Tyrande

Unread post by Qildaer »

Ulfar says in fact that they are animals, mutated by the weird magics of drustvar. As you said we got the mech-animals... maybe down the road at 8.2 or 8.3 or something :D
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Qildaer wrote:Ulfar says in fact that they are animals, mutated by the weird magics of drustvar. As you said we got the mech-animals... maybe down the road at 8.2 or 8.3 or something :D
Oh, I missed that, then. I thought they were animated creations of wicker and animal parts.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I think they would make great spirit beasts!
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Could it just be related to getting the bits to build the wicker pup battle pet?
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

It could be related to the wicker pup, but I'm of the mind that the Thornspeaker magic and Drustvar witch magic are related/similar, but not entirely the same. The thorn-beasts(?) are still very natural and appear to have bone or wood infused with their body. Wicker beasts look like entirely unnatural and constructed golems. It's like comparing a natural human skeleton to the Shambles creatures from Oblivion.

I COULD see something like "kill witches for an item that de-curses the thorn-beasts," "hidden quest (Gara) that allows you to win the trust of the Thornspeakers," or something along those lines. I'd love to see the thorn-beasts as pets and don't think they'd even be out of the realm of possibility considering some of the stuff Blizzard has pulled, but I REALLY doubt the wicker hounds would be on the list.

We ARE getting crawg who are exclusive to Zandalar, maybe Kul Tiras will get the same treatment...

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Wain wrote:It's not impossible it'll happen :) Xota brought up something about that a while back. (I haven't seen her on lately, I hope she's ok!). They aren't really beasts, just beast-like undead or animated black magic things. More like golems than animals. That's not to say they wouldn't be considered, though. We did get animal-shaped mechanicals after all :)

The one thing I can say is that there's no new family for them in the database. If they were added we'd definitely see that first.
Xota was trying to see if there was some way to try and tame them (even though there was nothing in the DB that indicated such). Ulfar's exact words are, "I suppose you're seeking a new pet? <Ulfar scoffs> The magic of this place is deep and profound. It has come to inhabit some of the animals of the region. They are powerful manifestations of nature to be respected."

So they are beasts, but ones imbued with nature magic. Drust and Thornspeaker magic is of the same source, but the former twists the magic and the latter doesn't. Ulfar is a Drust (one of the few living ones) and knows Gorak Tul personally. But unlike Gorak Tul, Ulfar doesn't pervert the magic of the region. Ulfar also expresses disapproval in the aspect of them being used as pets. Perhaps views it as degrading for "powerful manifestations of magic". Doesn't mean we couldn't tame them someday, of course. Perhaps a questline where we earn Ulfar's approval? :)